Anti corrosive for water table

All topics related to smoke evacuation, ventilation, and water tables.
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Anti corrosive for water table

Post by little blue choo »

With the first year behind me it's time to clean out my water table. I started out using the Arm and Hammer CRAP but want to change. I know a lot of you use it and it has served me well but I just can't put up with all the white deposits on everything. If I don't use the table for a week it starts to look like a science project. That stuff reminds me of the old Grow Rocks when I was a kid. My question is what are the alternatives? What do you use?

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
rons
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Anti corrosive for water table

Post by rons »

Same boat as you but I use pool PH UP and fountain algaecide its works good but don't like the white stuff either
4x8 Home made with PPL Gantry
Bladder water table
Candcnc EtherCut + DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM 65 machine
Sheetcam, Mach 3
Corel DrawX7
TurboCad 2015
211 Miller Mig
Ingersoll Rand 7.5 hp 80 gal
Harbor Ref. Dryer
Lathe, BP, 1" x 12" Cosan Miter Saw,
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

I pretty much gave up on anything but just plain water. It's the cheapest there is. I've added some anti-rust liquid in the past, but it didn't seem to help much.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
redheadfred
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by redheadfred »

Sharp cool premium synthetic fastenal part # 3265774 is what Ive been using , works awesome. Its like $200 for 5 gal shipped but its worth it to me
Arclight 4x4
Hypertherm Pm45
Lincoln 256 Mig
Precision Tig 275
Baileigh 50 Ton Press
Quincy 2 stage 5Hp compressor
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Thanks redheadfred. That is what they were using at arclight when I went out for training last year and I wish I had listened to their recommendation. How much of it do you put in your table and what size table do you have?

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Has anyone used GreenCut for their water table and if so where do you purchase it.
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
redheadfred
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by redheadfred »

I tried to get greencut , heard it was pretty awesome but its pretty pricey as it comes from canada . I have a 4800 arclight table , i used about 3.5 gallons , they recommend 1.5% so Im a little heavy . Very low fumes , im pretty happy with it so far
Arclight 4x4
Hypertherm Pm45
Lincoln 256 Mig
Precision Tig 275
Baileigh 50 Ton Press
rons
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rons »

sounds like its made for machining how did you find out about using it for plasma cutting
4x8 Home made with PPL Gantry
Bladder water table
Candcnc EtherCut + DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM 65 machine
Sheetcam, Mach 3
Corel DrawX7
TurboCad 2015
211 Miller Mig
Ingersoll Rand 7.5 hp 80 gal
Harbor Ref. Dryer
Lathe, BP, 1" x 12" Cosan Miter Saw,
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

not sure what your issue is with washing soda, how much are you washing soda are you using?
there is a little white build up after while mostly due to evaporation
you can see a little white on each piece from evaporation of the water off parts
it wipes of very easy, our painter never has an issue, wipes off easier than rust :mrgreen:

we use 2/3 of a box in a 4x8, 3'' deep table and this is our table after 3 years

bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

-ogre it's not a problem unless I let the table sit for a week or so and then it looks like snow growing all over the slats and anywhere the water has touched. I used whole box in my 4x8 table but that's been 1 year ago and its still doing it. I get the little white film on my parts like you are picturing but it's the growth that takes place when the table is not in use that bothers me.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
redheadfred
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by redheadfred »

You spent the money on the table and equipment , the extra money on the cutting fluid is a no brainer for me . I can leave a sheet on my table for a week and dont have to worry about rust . Your not too far away , your welcome to come by and check it out sometime .
Arclight 4x4
Hypertherm Pm45
Lincoln 256 Mig
Precision Tig 275
Baileigh 50 Ton Press
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Yea my thoughts also redheadfred. I have no problems with rust just that white stuff. Where are you neighbor?

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
redheadfred
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by redheadfred »

Im in concord , not too far from the charlotte motor speedway .
Arclight 4x4
Hypertherm Pm45
Lincoln 256 Mig
Precision Tig 275
Baileigh 50 Ton Press
cspauldini
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by cspauldini »

redheadfred, I sent a PM and would be interested in checking out your setup.

Chris
LDR Motion System 4'x8' w/scribe
Hypertherm PM65
Miller Diversion 180
Millermatic 175
48" Magna Bend
Quincy QT-54
JD Squared Model 3
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

As always......I do not recommend home brew chemicals to control rust, corrosion, algea, etc. in your plasma cutting water table unless it was designed and tested by a chemical engineer. The plasma temperature, the electrical discharge, as well as the cutting of different metals with different chemical contents can create gas outputs that could be very dangerous.

Over my 38+ years I have seen machine operators that were affected (healthwise) by the fumes....and I have seen a couple of cases where the water table caught fire....and destroyed the cutting machine. Stick with commercially available products!

I recommend googling "plasma cutting water table additives", then reviewing the many listings for commercially available additives that are generally designed, tested and sold by chemical companies.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

jimcolt wrote:As always......I do not recommend home brew chemicals to control rust, corrosion, algea, etc. in your plasma cutting water table unless it was designed and tested by a chemical engineer. The plasma temperature, the electrical discharge, as well as the cutting of different metals with different chemical contents can create gas outputs that could be very dangerous.

Over my 38+ years I have seen machine operators that were affected (healthwise) by the fumes....and I have seen a couple of cases where the water table caught fire....and destroyed the cutting machine. Stick with commercially available products!

I recommend googling "plasma cutting water table additives", then reviewing the many listings for commercially available additives that are generally designed, tested and sold by chemical companies.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Jim, while I don't disagree with what you're saying as far as safety, you can't, after 38+ years of working from Hypertherm, just tell us "don't do this" and then not share with us a named product that actually works? I can't believe that Hypertherm doesn't already use something in house. Instead you're just sending us all out to the interwebs to simply sort through a bunch of product hype from everyone that claims their additive is the best.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
Hillbilly Stills
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Hillbilly Stills »

Ross at RC Enterprises ( TruCut ) suggested I use Plasma Quench. I think it was like $180.00 for 5 gallon. My Table is 5' x 10' and I think I used 1.5 Gallon. They manufacture suggest to use 1.5 to 2% of what my table holds. I am a newbie but I left a piece of Mild Steel on the table for about 4 days and no rust what so ever.
TruCut 5x10
Victor Plasma
Thermal Dynamics
Sheet Cam
Rhino3d
Bobcad
Hillbilly Stills
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Hillbilly Stills »

TruCut 5x10
Victor Plasma
Thermal Dynamics
Sheet Cam
Rhino3d
Bobcad
DesertFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by DesertFabworks »

I have been using GreenCut for a few years now and I'm very happy. I compared and tried everything out there and found GreenCut to be the best and safest option. It does a great job with taking care of and preventing rust. I have never grown any algae or had any problems with odors. I'm in AZ and its hot. So I evaporate about 20 or more gallons a day the way green cut is designed it stays in the table and the water evaporates. It clings to the metal and I just have to add water back to the table and watch the PH to make sure it stays within the limits and add GreenCut when the ph starts to change. I do a full table clean out drain/clean/refill once a year. For me I wanted a product that was actually designed for plasma cutting and was safe. GreenCut is the only one out there that meets both of those. Read the MSDS on the stuff from Fastenal and you most likely will not be using it anymore. A lot of the chemicals that are "adapted" for plasma cutting are never tested for the changes that take place with high UV exposure the heat and atimization that takes place during plasma cutting. You also have to consider that your going to get it on your skin from time to time, fishing out parts, splashes, ect. I do not want to find out that I have cancer ten years from now because of what I used in my table. One of the other big things for me is GreenCut has never caused a problem with painting or powder coating of my parts which is critical to me, some of the other chemicals I have tried in the past I had to do extra rinsing or cleaning prior to paint or powder. I get my green cut from my local Praxair distributor. Praxair has a weird computer system and until an individual store brings a product into there store they can not always see all the products that they carry or can get. So you have to be persistent with them the first time and assure them that they can get it and it takes some digging on there part to pull it into their stores system the first time. It is not cheap I will agree with that but I only do a fill once a year and just add a little a month to maintain PH. I mix 20% green cut to 80% water on the initial fill.
Desert Fabworks LLC
Fort Mohave, Arizona
www.desertfabworks.com

Follow our CNC Plasma Build:
www.cncplasminfo.com
Follow our CNC Router Build:
www.cncrouterbuild.com
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Sorry, I cannot recommend products that we (as a company) have not tested. We have probably 20 cnc machines with plasma , laser and waterjet at our various facilities in New Hampshire, most of them (17) use downdraft tables (best cut quality.....hands down). Of course the waterjet has a water table, however there is no additive. We have a couple of plasma machines with water tables, again, no additive.

Probably the best place to ask for detailed info about water table additives would be the companies that produce water tables. Many of the cnc plasma system manufacturers offer either downdraft or water table solutions for fume control....and likely have a good sized installed base with water tables....they would have the best recommendations.

My home table that is currently in use is strictly downdraft. The hybrid tables I have built in the past use a water tray about 8" below the slats (no splash) so the parts do not get wet. Because of all this....I don't claim to have the experience to recommend a specific brand of additive.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Jim, while I don't disagree with what you're saying as far as safety, you can't, after 38+ years of working from Hypertherm, just tell us "don't do this" and then not share with us a named product that actually works? I can't believe that Hypertherm doesn't already use something in house. Instead you're just sending us all out to the interwebs to simply sort through a bunch of product hype from everyone that claims their additive is the best.[/quote]
redheadfred
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by redheadfred »

Been running Sharp Cool for about 6 months now with no problems . Hard to get Greencut here in the states , heard it was great but not trying to spend a fortune to get it here . Sorry for the late reply guys been super busy .
Arclight 4x4
Hypertherm Pm45
Lincoln 256 Mig
Precision Tig 275
Baileigh 50 Ton Press
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

redheadfred wrote:Been running Sharp Cool for about 6 months now with no problems . Hard to get Greencut here in the states , heard it was great but not trying to spend a fortune to get it here . Sorry for the late reply guys been super busy .
I went to Fastenal and Fast Cool has a bunch of different formulas. Which one are you using?

Seems like most of the FastCool stuff is specifically made for CNC Milling machines, not plasma.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
cutting$burning
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by cutting$burning »

This thread has been around for a while so I thought I would throw in my 2 cents. I use Rustlick B which is what the mfg (B & B Systems, can't say enough good about these guys) installed when they set up my table. I can't compare it to other products because it's all I've used so I'm no help there but in 2 1/2 years my table and slats are rust free. If you read the product label it's a pretty impressive additive. It's not cheap by any means especially compared to Baking Soda. The one thing I have noticed is that it doesn't seem to evaporate with the water so when I replace the water I don't need to add more additive only water. I learned this after adding more with the replacement water and things started to get syrup-like. Hope this is informative and usefull as I have learned so much on this forum and appreciate all the info on this site. Thanks D

https://www.zoro.com/rustlick-corrosion ... lsrc=aw.ds
DesertFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by DesertFabworks »

We looked into the Rustlick B when we first started but the manufacture does not recommend using when it will encounter temperatures over 212 F and it is hazardous for skin contact and poses respiratory problems when atomized and, threw decomposition and exposure to nitrites it will form carcinogenic compounds. So we said no to this product.
Desert Fabworks LLC
Fort Mohave, Arizona
www.desertfabworks.com

Follow our CNC Plasma Build:
www.cncplasminfo.com
Follow our CNC Router Build:
www.cncrouterbuild.com
redheadfred
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by redheadfred »

Sorry for the late reply , I can get you the part # for the sharp cool , have no complaints about it so far . I actually have scrap metal in my bin outside that has been there for weeks with no rust at all from being coated in 6 month old coolant from my table
Arclight 4x4
Hypertherm Pm45
Lincoln 256 Mig
Precision Tig 275
Baileigh 50 Ton Press

Return to “Water Tables, Ventilation, Air Handling”