Water Table With AntiFreeze

All topics related to smoke evacuation, ventilation, and water tables.
cnchybrid
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Water Table With AntiFreeze

Post by cnchybrid »

Just throwing this out there but I got to thinking that since the water table is prone to rusting and you have to add some kind of chemical mixture to prevent this, wouldn't anti-freeze at 5% solution and 95% water do the job also? Ant-freeze is a lubricant and since its in a vehicles motor, which is made out of a bunch of metal, it is made not to rust. Would this be a nice alternative instead of other chemicals and be easier on the budget?

Just thinking here so any input on this would be fun to talk about. I do not have a water table or a plasma machine yet so I couldn't speak from experience.

So: 50 gallons of water = 2.5 gallons of antifreeze
5' x 9' table with 2 inches of water would be: 12 960 (cubic inches) = 56.1038961 US gallons
peepers
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Water Table With AntiFreeze

Post by peepers »

I have wondered about that also. I hope someone has the answer.
trucks1948
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by trucks1948 »

I would check this out carefully.Once i cut some antifreeze barrels open with a torch and the left over antifreeze caught fire.I know this sounds dumb but it did happen.Jim
lilb93
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by lilb93 »

You need a 50 -50 mix for any rust protection..
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plain ol Bill »

antifreeze is polyethylene glycol = POISON
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
RJ Fab
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by RJ Fab »

What about putting in antifreeze to keep my water from freezing as I don't keep my shop heated when not in use? Anyone know if antifreeze will react with the physan 20 or sodium nitrite that's already in there? Anyone know if antifreeze would put off toxic gas/fumes from cutting?

Also, I thought about getting one of the heaters for dog's water and drop it down in the back where there is no cutting? This is my first winter with a water table and I figured I better look into ways to keep the water from freezing. Obviously I dont want to drain and refill the water each time. :mrgreen:
plain ol Bill

Post by plain ol Bill »

If I were in a location that got cold enough that I really had to worry about my water table freezing up I would get a stock tank heater and use that. As it is my truck is in the shop in the winter and I have a block heater - the engine keeps my shop above freezing.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
plasmajoe

Post by plasmajoe »

Living up in Northern Ontario Canada, we get cold winters many days at 40 Celcius below Zero. I use a chemical called Nokaite. It acts as a rust inhibitor and I never had my table freeze up on me yet, touch wood. I also recomend putting a heater in your shop, an electric baseboard heater under your waterbed works perfect. I also know a freind that lives further North than I do and he has a small 4x4 Tracker table with a water bed, get this he uses 4 fish tank heaters in it. Works great for him. I really do not recomend anti-freeze, as bill posted it IS poison. Nokaite does not leave a oily film on your plates as antifreeze would, will leave a dry white residue but wipes right off easily. Hope this helps. One thing you really need to worry about your computer and controller more than the water bed, cold really does not get along with computers, well the deep freeze anyways. LOL.

Hope this helps out.

Plasma Joe
Kilroy
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Kilroy »

If even 5% antifreeze was required, I would surely be in trouble! I have a 12' x 24' water table, so that would be some costly additive. I was given a gallon of blood red additive (don't recall the name, sorry) from a friend who works for a large company (they have 20 gallons of the stuff, he said it would take 20 years for them to use it all) and was told to put about 1/4 of it into the table water. As soon as it hit the water it turned florescent green. It doesn't smell at all, I'll try to find the name of it and post again.
larrycameron44
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Home made plasmaquench

Post by larrycameron44 »

Here is a recipe for home cooked "Plasma Quench".

This is not my recipe it was listed a while back and I took note of it, it is from
plain ol bill
on the forum

Here's the recipe for home-made PlasmaQuench
1/4 pound of sodium nitrite powder ($15/pound) "anti-rust additive" NOTE: nitrite NOT nitrate!
1 teaspoon of Physan 20 ($8/8oz bottle) "antibacterial/antifungal additive"
1 oz Ultramarine blue food-grade dye ($5/oz.) "color added so folks won't drink out of it!"
Mix well, treats 75 gallons of water.
Dustan
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Home made plasmaquench

Post by Dustan »

larrycameron44 wrote:Here is a recipe for home cooked "Plasma Quench".

This is not my recipe it was listed a while back and I took note of it, it is from
plain ol bill
on the forum

Here's the recipe for home-made PlasmaQuench
1/4 pound of sodium nitrite powder ($15/pound) "anti-rust additive" NOTE: nitrite NOT nitrate!
1 teaspoon of Physan 20 ($8/8oz bottle) "antibacterial/antifungal additive"
1 oz Ultramarine blue food-grade dye ($5/oz.) "color added so folks won't drink out of it!"
Mix well, treats 75 gallons of water.
awesome sounding mixture where do i find physan and sodium nitrite powder at i cant stand the rust in my table its ugly and if i leave plate on table it also gets rusty im willing to try anything so if anyone can give me some direction as of where to find those products that be great :P
Krazy Kutz metal designs
plain ol Bill

Post by plain ol Bill »

Ebay!
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
Dustan
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Dustan »

What else can anybody else think of to add to the water so it doesnt rust the metal im not worried about freezing as my shop will be warm at all times .
I just finished cleaning out my water bed and I used a two part epoxy coating to line the bottom juat need to put cutting grids back in and fill with water just need
to figure out some kind of additive so that anything laying in or on table doesnt rust anymore.
Krazy Kutz metal designs
RJ Fab
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by RJ Fab »

I used the above recipe and it's worked great for me. Got the Sodium Nitrite off Ebay. Bought the Grannular instead of powder. So far no problems and no rust or fungus/algea.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Just be careful and know what you are putting in your water tables. The plasma torch produces a very high temperature arc, and probably worse, it produces fairly intense UltraViolet light. There are many chemicals that can change state under UV and high temperature conditions. I definitely would not put automotive anti-freeze in a water table!

These chemical mixes probably should be reviewed by a chemist that understands how and where it will be used.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
cnchybrid
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by cnchybrid »

Thanks guys for all the responses. I will not pursue this idea any further given the majority of responses cautioning me to not go this route. Thanks for your time and energy.

Respectfully,

James

minola-cnc-customs dot com
Dustan
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Dustan »

This has to be simpler than that !! I am determined to find something that will stop rust in my table theres got to be some kind of simple additive to stop rust from happening wish me luck people I have some people im gona call and should get some answers I will post what my findings are hopefully its good news :P
Krazy Kutz metal designs
kel fab creations
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by kel fab creations »

i use greencut cutting fluid additive with they're anti rust additive. its environmentally safe. they are out of Canada. i couldn't find anything bad about using it in a plasma table.
Dustan
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Dustan »

kel fab creations wrote:i use greencut cutting fluid additive with they're anti rust additive. its environmentally safe. they are out of Canada. i couldn't find anything bad about using it in a plasma table.
how much was it worth do you think that you could just use the anti rust additive in the water and not the actual greencut?
Krazy Kutz metal designs
dark_horse
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by dark_horse »

Automotive antifreeze will not prevent rusting and should not be exposed to open flames. Go ask your local mechanic (one that knows what he's doing) and you'll get the same response.
Zippo
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Zippo »

Myself , I use an automotive frost plug heater, plugged into an multi setting timer, No hassle, no fittings.. just pop a 2" hole in the location you want it, the rubber grommet seals nicely even if your slightly out of round .....lol
flyfast29
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by flyfast29 »

I use a product called Sharp Cool from Fastenal. Its a green water soluble oil.
abmagrum
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by abmagrum »

marty put up a post on ph increaser said it works great

for antifreeze not a good ideal

to keep from freezing I am going to get a horse trough heater or a couple bird bath heaters the fish tank heaters are to small
Arclight 4x4
hypertherm 65
corel x6
mach 3, sheet cam
miller 211 auto set
mossie
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by mossie »

Hi Everybody
Do anybody have another plasma quench recipe, I can't find any of the sodium nitrate or physan 20 or an alternative for both here in South Africa I need to fill my new machine with water now and I am bumped out , e bay ?? delivery??
Please advise
Mossie

Return to “Water Tables, Ventilation, Air Handling”