Water table maintenance

All topics related to smoke evacuation, ventilation, and water tables.
AZ_guy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Water table maintenance

Post by AZ_guy »

I’ve had my Shop Sabre sidekick 4 for about a year. It’s worked perfect the whole time, I used the coolant they sell and it worked ok but I had some rust issues after only a few months. I drained everything and scrapped it down and refilled with fresh water and coolant and it’s doing nothing for rust prevention, it actually seems like it’s making it worse. Immediately anything it splashes on when cutting basically flash rusts. I think I’m going to order and try the Pico quench coolant, is there any other brand that people recommend?

My next question is How do you guys maintain your table? When replacing water and coolant does it need to be completely scraped down to clean metal? Will it hurt anything if there is a little rust on some of the slats, will it contaminate the water? I cleaned it really thoroughly last time, I can’t see how anyone would clean it more. I drained my water, let it dry a little then scraped out all the junk in the bottom of the table, then I pulled all the slats and scraped them down on both sides. Then I scrapped the table and the slats that are welded to the table. Am I missing something?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Water table maintenance

Post by acourtjester »

What I do is paint the water table and slates with rustoleum with acrylic hardener, I have not had a real problem. That seems to keep the water table from rusting, when I scrape out the crud I repaint the water table again, there has been a very small surface rust spots. But cleaning are repaint keeps them from causing a problem over time. slate not painted when picture was taken.
4x8 table new.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by TJS »

Whatever you do. DONT use POR15. Garbage. Just peels off in sheets. Going to do the rustoleum route next time.
AZ_guy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AZ_guy »

acourtjester wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:58 pm What I do is paint the water table and slates with rustoleum with acrylic hardener, I have not had a real problem. That seems to keep the water table from rusting, when I scrape out the crud I repaint the water table again, there has been a very small surface rust spots. But cleaning are repaint keeps them from causing a problem over time. slate not painted when picture was taken.
4x8 table new.JPG
How often do you change your water and mix out?
AZ_guy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AZ_guy »

TJS wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:39 am Whatever you do. DONT use POR15. Garbage. Just peels off in sheets. Going to do the rustoleum route next time.
Thanks, I’ll avoid that
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

When I built my water pan, I used spray zinc coating on it. Zinc will keep adjacent scratches from rusting. I've never coated the slats with anything. I also use washing soda in the water to fill the pan. When I've finished cutting for the day, I drain the pan down into a plastic drum laying under the table.

When done cutting, I pick out the big pieces, and let the rest of the crud settle to the bottom of the water pan before draining. When I clean the pan, (after it's dry), I use a vacuum to suck the dust left in the pan up. I may use a paint brush to help loosen the dust up, but I never scrape hard on the pan with anything.

I've never re-coated the pan, and I've never really had any problems with rust. As far as the slats, I do grind them back level once in a while, and I'll flip them over one of these days, but they are still the original slats.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I am a small time user so I fill the water table when I am going to cut, sometimes it stays in overnight. But mostly I drain it after using, I use straight water. Since I connect directly to the cut metal having painted slats does not affect cutting.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
TrinityFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by TrinityFabworks »

I used rustoleum on the water table on my last machine and it held up pretty well for the three years that I owned it.
I had my entire new machine powder coated when I first finished it. I wanted it to last as long as possible so I figured it was worth the money to have it done. It cost me $1,000.00 to have it all done, and it was well worth it! My ohmic wire and ground clamp clamp right to the material so having it powdercoated isn't an issue. (my slats are uncoated and are just p/o)
TrinityFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by TrinityFabworks »

I used to use the classic plasma "home brew" for rust and bacteria prevention. After cutting for about two years I developed some pretty horrible lung problems that I still deal with almost daily. For the new machine I ended up buying "Plasma WT" it's made in Michigan and is completely safe to use and biodegradable. It doesn't evaporate either. Five gallons treats 100 gallons of water.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Thanks for the tip!!
David

http://synlube-mi.com/products/pure-syn ... plasma-w-t
Plasma WT.jpg

djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

Where do they sell this and what does it cost? Google can't find a seller.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
lancepr
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by lancepr »

X53Gunner
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by X53Gunner »

Im lucky, looked up company and i live just down the road about 20 miles. Will pick some up, thanks for the info.
c_rossman
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by c_rossman »

I have been using the Protech 300 outdoor boiler treatment in my water table. Treats 300 gallons for $50. I have an outdoor boiler so I have some laying around at all times.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I personally use Hangstefer's S-500 water soluble coolant in my water tray. I mix about 1 qt. per 15 to 20 gallons of water. Helps prevent rust and corrosion.
David
coolant.jpg

Return to “Water Tables, Ventilation, Air Handling”