Water Pan Alternatives??????

All topics related to smoke evacuation, ventilation, and water tables.
FabMan95
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Water Pan Alternatives??????

Post by FabMan95 »

Hi All,

Crazy Idea #3538891- In an attempt to contain the 'mess' when cutting, and eliminate the humid air /steam,I wonder why substituting a media such a either sand(washed) or pea gravel wouldn't be successful......Some material that is nonflammable and dry..... Sand might be easily dis-placed by the force of air, requiring a lowering of the tray/pan. Fine pea gravel would eliminate that possibility. Don't laff,it just might work.......
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Water Pan Alternatives??????

Post by djreiswig »

I don't think dry media is going to do much for eliminating the smoke. The water pan does a pretty good job of grabbing onto it.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

djreiswig wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:06 pm I don't think dry media is going to do much for eliminating the smoke. The water pan does a pretty good job of grabbing onto it.
:Like :Like :Like :Like :Like
FabMan95
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by FabMan95 »

OK......however,I have read of user's concern/complaints regarding the need for proper ventilation because of the generating of humid air in enough volume as to be a problem;either in the form of simply mold,and /or inhalation problems.
I'm new to cnc plasma(not yet having purchased one,in fact) and placement of what I do purchase will be in a room with a media blast cabinet,air compressor and pedestal grinder and buffers. This room has no ventilation system per se,other than opening overhead doors on both ends of the room;obviously not desirable to do in cold weather. Hence my investigation into other (possible) alternative to water.....
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

I'd say it's going to depend on where you live and how often you are going to be cutting.

I live in a dry part of the country, and only cut stuff 3 or 4 days a week. I drain my water pan down into a plastic drum overnight and when I'm not cutting. I have zero problems with humidity, mold, etc. I have a lot of machinery in the shop, and have no problems with rust.

Maybe you should design your table to do what you want it to do and use it for a while. If you have a problem, then deal with it at that time.

Good luck on your new table, Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
FabMan95
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by FabMan95 »

OK. Thank you,all,for responding to what probably seemed an unusual question..... It's apparent that I have one hell of a lot to digest,and,fortunately,there is this website with members with the patience to assist......
I intend to purchase a small 2X2 system,brand yet to be decided . I prefer one manufactured and assembled in the US (likely of 'global components',unfortunately),so the usual brands such as Premier,Langmuir,GoTorch,etc. are considered.

The capability of software included with whichever system as well as the manufacturer's direct support will be deciding factors for me.By that I mean that I don't believe that I should have to invest in any expansive programs to create the simple 2D parts (i.e.,brackets,adapter plates,and similar);nor should the manufacturer 'back pedal' on assistance and leave the purchaser to find their answers from others (i.e., 'Owners Community'). That business philosophy is both convenient and wrong.....

So,I am continuing my 'research'.....

Thanks once again.
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Starlab tables are made in Minnesota. The candcnc controls they use are made in Texas. IMO both companies have excellent support.
You can draw with whatever software you choose. Cam is SheetCam (though not a US company), made by a one man company with excellent support and frequent free updates. Machine control software is now Linux based.
Check out these company's forums and see how quickly they respond to questions.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

FabMan95 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:36 pm

The capability of software included with whichever system as well as the manufacturer's direct support will be deciding factors for me.By that I mean that I don't believe that I should have to invest in any expansive programs to create the simple 2D parts (i.e.,brackets,adapter plates,and similar);nor should the manufacturer 'back pedal' on assistance and leave the purchaser to find their answers from others (i.e., 'Owners Community'). That business philosophy is both convenient and wrong.....

So,I am continuing my 'research'.....

Thanks once again.
I think you will hear both good and bad about any of those companies mentioned, it most likely depends on who you talk to. If you are on a really tight budget, then perhaps the Langmuir Crossfire ($1495) might be for you. I have several friends who purchased the Crossfire when it first came out and they are really happy with their machines. I personally own several of the Plasmacam DHC2 machines which I am extremely happy with (have been using them for over 4 years now). As you are most likely aware, Plasmacam is the parent company for the GoTorch. But at over 3K with basic software, the GoTorch may not be for you. I have no personal experience with the Premier tables, but I am sure you will hear from some Premier owners who are very pleased with their tables (and perhaps a few who are not).
David
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

I cut with a 4x8 LDR Motion Systems table. The best water table design in existence as far as I am concerned. Drain water down in 2 minutes and fill in 1 minute. I cut in a 2 car garage for hours with the doors closed in the winter and I have no issues with humidity, rust, smoke, mold. Been in use for 7 years now
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

tnbndr wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:56 pm I cut with a 4x8 LDR Motion Systems table. The best water table design in existence as far as I am concerned. Drain water down in 2 minutes and fill in 1 minute. I cut in a 2 car garage for hours with the doors closed in the winter and I have no issues with humidity, rust, smoke, mold. Been in use for 7 years now
:Like :Like :Like :Like :Like
FabMan95
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by FabMan95 »

Part of the selection problem is that while there are many obviously good,even great quality brands,not all of them offer a small 2x2 model,unless,the mfg'r itself is small and the 2x2 is their 'flagship'. The vast majority of members here are well beyond any 2x2 machine,both in capability and personal ability (primarily because they're operating a serious business with their machine(s)).That's quite understandable.....An investment of $3-5K is fine;I'll use the machine only occasionally,as an alternative method to fabricate versus the traditional vertical mill,rotary table,band-saw,die filer,etc. There appears to be a necessary level of knowledge/experience required in order to make an intelligent purchase decision that I don't have.....and don't see any way to obtain it easily.
So, the information gathering procedure is based upon(1) listening to various opinions/experiences,(2) inflated advertisements,(3)manufacturer responses to my inquiries regarding their products(and attempting to filter out the BS from the truth IF they do reply. ) are the only 'tools' that I have. Of the three sources,clearly the best source are the folks right here......But,unless someone here just happens to own the same size & brand that I'm investigating,even that assistance is compromised(but still much appreciated).
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Please let us know what 2x2 table you ultimately purchase, along with your rationale with respect to items (1) thru (3) you listed above.
Thanks,
David
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

The cost in a table is in the drives and electronics, the rest is metal material. The same electronics have to go into a 4x8 table as a 12x20 table as a 2x2 table.
I'm sure if you talk to Dan over at LDR Motion Systems he can build you a 2x2 table, as all their tables are custom built. Just don't expect a huge cost savings. All you save is some material and floor space. IMHO
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com

Return to “Water Tables, Ventilation, Air Handling”