Galvanized steel water bed

All topics related to smoke evacuation, ventilation, and water tables.
keverin16
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Galvanized steel water bed

Post by keverin16 »

Hello plasmaspider community.

I am in the process of building a plasma table and i would like to know if there is any problem involved in using galvanized steel for the water bed?
can zinc dissolve in the water and vaporize in the air while cutting or something? It seems nobody is using it.

Thank you very much! :Like
Larry83301
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Galvanized steel water bed

Post by Larry83301 »

If you burn or weld Galvanized make sure you have lots of ventilation and don't breathe any of the smoke, it can kill you!

Larry
keverin16
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by keverin16 »

Hey Larry

Yes i know that. I mean if i just make the tub part out of galvanized steel and use normal steel for the slabs. Would this lead to any problems with healt and or galvanic corosion or anything? Thanks!
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I would paint the insides to stop any Galvanic action, I use a rustoleum paint with a hardener added to give is a little more protection. the formula is posted on YouTube
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by TJS »

Do yourself a favor. Have a steel supply place that has a large brake make you a water tray out of stainless, at least 10ga. Have then bend up everting and you just weld the corner seems. I wish I did this when I built mine. I used the picture frame method(steel) and nothing but warpage and issues. I have used por15, rustoleum and even anti fouling marine paint. Nothing "sticks". It all peels up after a few months.
T.J.
SegoMan DeSigns

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Have a tank to drain the table into and clean out the table on a regular basis, Use a rust inhibitor and you should be good. My 2x2 T M is 7 y/o and I can still get a shine out of the metal.. I use laundry Soda for rust prevention.
keverin16
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by keverin16 »

so if i can have the tub out of galvanised steel for like 20 USD more than normal steel it is not worth it? nobody ever did that together with normal steel slabs?
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I used 11 ga. cold rolled steel for my water tray. Welded construction with bottom and 4 sides. I left it bare steel (no paint or other coating) and do add a small amount of water soluble cutting oil (coolant) to the water. It has been in service for about 6 years now with no problems whatsoever. There was a little bowing of the bottom when I welded it, but that does not cause any problems. My water pan is about 4 ft. x 4 ft. x 4 inches deep, with a diamond mesh screen about 1" above the bottom to catch any small parts.

At the time, I had considered stainless steel- but the cost was over $300 for the material and the cost for the 11 ga. steel was around $75 or so - and I was on a budget. It would be easier to have a shop bend on up, but I like to do things myself and only have a 16 ga. brake.

Here is the link to see all the photos of the build and testing.
David

https://photos.app.goo.gl/h8LHufi6frttfGNQA
water tray.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

keverin16 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:57 pm Hello plasmaspider community.

I am in the process of building a plasma table and i would like to know if there is any problem involved in using galvanized steel for the water bed?
can zinc dissolve in the water and vaporize in the air while cutting or something? It seems nobody is using it.

Galvanized metal and plasma cutting do not play well together.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
keverin16
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by keverin16 »

Joe Jones wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:13 pm

Joe
Yes, but if i only do the tub it would never be in contact with plasma cutting. slabs steel, tub galvanized. my question was if this would cause galcanic corrosion or de zinc dissolves into the water or anything? Best regards
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

keverin16 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:29 am
Joe Jones wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:13 pm

Joe
Yes, but if i only do the tub it would never be in contact with plasma cutting. slabs steel, tub galvanized. my question was if this would cause galcanic corrosion or de zinc dissolves into the water or anything? Best regards
I think this depends on the distance from the your water level to the material you are cutting, and how deep you water tray is. For my setup, the top surface of my water is about 10 or 12 inches below the top of the cutting grates. In my setup the water is there to extinguish the molten spray from the plasma cutter - which probably eliminates about 90% of the smoke and dust. My draft system exhausts the remainder for a smoke free shop.

Some of the guys have very shallow water pans located such that the water level is right up to the bottom surface of the sheet of material being cut. They claim that having the material being basically submersed in water helps to eliminate warping. This may be true, but as Jim Colt will tell you - water splashed up into the consumables can wreak havoc with the cutter.

I personally would not have a problem using galvanized for the water tray, particularly for my application. As long as the water is drained and refreshed periodically, I don't believe that any potential contamination from the zinc would cause any problems.

David
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I would make the tub out of stainless steel.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
Plasma-art
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Plasma-art »

As someone that likes boats the first thing that comes to mind is electrolysis/galvanic corrosion.
Dissimilar metals and stray currents equals issues when you throw water in the mix.
The zinc might dissolve off of the steel due to it.

Return to “Water Tables, Ventilation, Air Handling”