EXHAUST FAN

All topics related to smoke evacuation, ventilation, and water tables.
Jeff M
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

EXHAUST FAN

Post by Jeff M »

Anyone have any suggestions on what size fan to use on a plasma cam table with an enclosure. (ie. dia. & rpms)

Thanks
Jeff M
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: EXHAUST FAN

Post by jimcolt »

For my 4 x 4 PlasmaCam machine (up to 85 amps cutting with Powermax85) I use a 3300 cfm restaurant fan that is mounted through the wall of my shop (it has automatic opening louvers on the outside)....it is ducted to the table with three 8" diameter galvanized duct pipes....and works very well. The fan is 24" diameter and is in a square frame that was easy to wall mount. You see these in commercial kitchens above the grill or friolator. I made a plate for the inside of the fan to tightly couple the 3 8" pipes to....for better suction.

I would not go any smaller than this for a 4 x 4 table....I rarely get any smoke in my shop from this system. The fan was purchased used on Craigslist for $80.

Jim Colt
kbenz
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by kbenz »

I used an attic fan on my 4x8 for years. worked well
Jeff M
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Jeff M »

Thanks a lot Jim Colt & kbenz for the info. This site is the best. You ask a question and someone is ALWAYS WILLING TO HELP. It's great.

Jeff M
trucks1948
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by trucks1948 »

We are in a farming area and i found a used barn ventilation fan that works well. Jim
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

Take a look at shoup or sloan do a google they sell farm related products, and look at grain bin areation fans.
I have a 12 inch on a 4 x 8 table no smoke would have used a 18 inch but I all ready had the 12.
One down side in cold weather you will loose your heat in no time.
I plan on adding a vented encloser to supply outside air nd save heat but time has not allowed that yet.
Hope this helps
Mike
Carlton
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Carlton »

Good question. I am installing 3000 CFM fan and a water table for my small plasma table. Several people told me the water table is a must for environmental saftey.
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

If you exhaust to the outside with a fan, do you eventually have a pile of soot right there or a blackened building side . . .?

Steve
prattswelding
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by prattswelding »

Oh yes, it will blacken. I've had my table vented for about 3 months now and I noticed last week how black my building was on the backside near the vent. The way I see it, better my building than my lungs.

Return to “Water Tables, Ventilation, Air Handling”