Paint Booth Idea

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
AIRFLOWKID
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Paint Booth Idea

Post by AIRFLOWKID »

Plasma Dudes,
Having a small shop (26 x 24) I was thinking of making a paint booth out of heavy cardboard with a filter rack on the bottom and setting the whole thing on top of the plasmacam, using the down draft system to vent over spray. Would like your feedback before I go much farther with the idea.

Thanks so much, Tim Red Robin Creatives :ugeek:
Streetwerkz
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Paint Booth Idea

Post by Streetwerkz »

I would not do it, hate to think of what the contamination would do to everything potentially
Joshua Robinson
www.Streetwerkz.com
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

Having a booth might work against you. If/when the codes guy spots it, you'll have a mountain of problems.
On the powder coating forum, a guy wants to build a powder coating booth, which is a whole different animal. His codes inspector doesn't know paint from powder and insists that he install three sprinkler heads that are wired to shut off power to all the associated electrical devices - lights, spray gun, fan, etc. That will cost him about twenty grand for his setup.

More to the point, I wouldn't want paint overspray all over my table grids. But I see where you're coming from. Let us know what decision you come up with.
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
stdave66
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by stdave66 »

I would also be concerned with lining my ducting with paint, then throwing heat and sparks through...could get exciting!
Complete_Loser
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Complete_Loser »

Its a great idea except for what stdave66 pointed out.

Plasma/weld exhaust torits have a hard enough time not smoldering into flames the way it is. :( Ive seen several where I work smoke it up. The filters would be a good idea, but certainty wouldnt catch everything.

You could get by with doing exactly what you are thinking, except use a separate fan, and simply stick that fan in the back or your box (booth), throw in some filters, and have at it. It would be a good idea to use an explosion proof fan. But between you and me, ive used a box fan many times without a problem.... Unless your spraying nitro cellulose laquer. :shock:
You want it done cheap and fast, it wont be right.
You want it done right and fast, it wont be cheap.

You want it done right and cheap.., come back in a year..
AIRFLOWKID
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by AIRFLOWKID »

Plasma Dudes,
After reading the post I am not going to try and use the PCAM as a paint booth to help use shop space wisely. I did not thick about paint build up and possible fire. Was hoping good filtration would take care of the possiblity but one never knows. I'm going to build one on back wall of shop, just didn't want to take up the space. Plus more money! Thank you all with your comments and help.

Tim Red Robin Creatives :ugeek: :ugeek:
jeeplogic83
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by jeeplogic83 »

Tim,
Don't take up space make a space saver spray booth, Check out mine, might give you come ideas. The one mod I made since doing this is venting the fan outside. I now use it for welding and grinding to get rid of dust and fumes.
http://www.priority1signs.com/index.php ... pray-Booth
AIRFLOWKID
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by AIRFLOWKID »

Greg,
That's the sweetest thing I've seen since my wife. I thing I will work on a design with your set up as inspiration. Thanks for the pictures.

Tim Red Robin Creatives :ugeek:

Return to “Powder Coat”