Back to the drawing board - DIY Pen Marker

Topics related to pen markers, remote controls, drawing tablets, & other plasma table related accessories
Corfabrication
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Back to the drawing board - DIY Pen Marker

Post by Corfabrication »

Well, not really.
i made a marker holder to work with my floating z.
Total investment, about 15 minutes and scraps laying around the shop.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Back to the drawing board

Post by muzza »

Sometimes it's the simple things that work the best.
Thanks for sharing
Murray
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

Mind if I ask the application for this device?
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Not sure on the OP's intended use but probably the reason most have it is to check a design 1:1 before cutting, much easier to erase a sharpie line than a plasma cut ;) but what I am setting up with a sharpie for is writing text, ie fabrication details, welding and bending specs etc. where you don't want a permanent scribe line. Also my son does some metal art with a swaging or wiring jenny, he draws something up and gets me to mark it on his sheet and then he just follows the lines.
Murray
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

tnbndr wrote:Mind if I ask the application for this device?
I did something similar when I first built my table. Used it to draw out the extreme perimeter of the cutting area, then measured all distances (longitudinally and diagonally) to make sure the table/rails were accurate, straight and square.

Apart from that, whatever the mind can conceive. Along the lines of what Murray said, one potential use could be using a piece of metal which already has cuts out of it and you are tightly squeezing a new cut into what's left. Assuming the pen tip is mounted at the same position as the torch nozzle, you could draw the outline of the cut to make sure it won't go into the existing cuts. Of course you'd have to have you finger on the stop button in case that happened so something doesn't get busted. Assuming everything is OK the pen line would get burned out by the cut.

Quite a useful tool really.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
Corfabrication
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Corfabrication »

As of now, I haven't had a "real" need for it. Occasionally I get a plate welding job that needs bosses welded on . I figured I could use this method to lay out locations.
btburn
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by btburn »

I do similar for making a cardboard relate to check fit on window well covers. I just zip tied my sharpie on but i plan on making a spring loaded tube to hold my sharpie later.
Dynatorch 4x4 SuperBee, Powermax 65, Quincy QT-54, Snap On MM250SL, Thermal Arc Arcmaster 185, Corel Draw X7 and a messy garage.
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

btburn wrote:I do similar for making a cardboard relate to check fit on window well covers. I just zip tied my sharpie on but i plan on making a spring loaded tube to hold my sharpie later.
For any thinking of making one, use the weakest spring you can. Doesn't take much pressure to scrub the end off a fine sharpy, especially one a surface that isn't smooth. That also means it needs to slide very freely in the tube.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019

Return to “Pen Markers, Remote Controls, Drawing Tablets, etc.”