Handling metal

All topics related to fab & weld tables, grind stations, material handling & storage, etc.
Traneman
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Handling metal

Post by Traneman »

Iam trying to figure out what is the best way to handle sheet metal, I use mostly 16ga,14ga,3/16 and 1/4"

I always have to find some help getting the metal loaded,what are you guys using to accomplish this.

Pics of your setup would be great

Thanks guys
jim
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Handling metal

Post by jim »

Most of the time it takes two guys to load . on trick is to lay two lengths of 1/4 inch round stock on the bed and the metal slides better on them other than the slats. If you bend a 90 on one end they are easy to pull out after you get your sheet in.
Jim(murals in metal)
Plasman256
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Plasman256 »

If you are using stacked sheets, alot of my customers use a vacuum lift with a jib crane for light gauge steel, (Up to 5/16" material). Magnest do not work well on thin sheet as they tend to grab more than one. Plasman
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Scratch »

Unfortunately... I have no one else to help me load my stuff. And my shop is not finished so I don't have any easy way of hoisting or anything right now. I have to haul all my steel in a full size van too. What I do is use a couple lengths of those conveyor things that are like a ladder with wheels on it to slide them out of my van and onto the table.
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
Loyd

Post by Loyd »

Where there is a will, there is a way! Most of my stuff is only 4x4 but I usually "muscle" it up on my table. The thickest that I have done 4x4 is 1/4". My thicker stuff I buy/cut to a more reasonable size.
If I ever clear out the door of my shop I can use my forklift. I have a 10' assembly table right in the front door of my shop.
I just bought a trolley to start making a way to hoist it up and over the assembly table.
"cave man" style right now.
Loyd
De inimico non loquaris sed cogites
Do not wish ill upon your enemies, plan it.
DARRYL21270
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by DARRYL21270 »

I use a sheetrock cart to move my sheets around the shop.It can carry up to 3000 lbs.
Wine Country
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Wine Country »

I have been setting my 4X10 sheets next to my table and grab them in the center with vise grips. I stand up on the table and pull the sheet up over center and lay it down. This has worked for me up to 10 ga. I want to build
an Ibeam frame with a small hoist and use a magnetic base with an on off lever and hoist eye. They are good for up to 500lbs. I am very careful
with the first method to protect my back. I have my 5X10 machine in a
2 car garage,so forklifts are out for me. Marty
plain ol Bill

Post by plain ol Bill »

I have beams running overhead the length and width of my shop w/ electric hoist's on trolleys. I can back the truck in w/ material, pick it up flat or standing. I pick up standing to put it into my storage rack and flat to put it onto the table. I am too old to mess w/ trying to pick up heavy and cumbersome plates.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
Traneman
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Traneman »

Plain ol Bill,,,,could you post pics of what you have or alittle more detail.

Thanks
plain ol Bill

Post by plain ol Bill »

My beams run across the bottom of the roof trusses. When I had the shop built I had all the trusses engineered to hole 2000# at center point of the span. Sure comes in handy!
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
Traneman
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Traneman »

Thats awesome,thanks for all the info
Everyone have a great Holiday
Complete_Loser
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Complete_Loser »

What we are doing is building an adjustable height table. Its basically a roll around cart that has rollers on top. You take it over to your metal rack, pull out the sheet (our sheets lay horizontally) onto this cart. Then roll the cart over to the cutter, raise the height of the cart to match the bed. Push the sheet from the cart onto the bed. Takes the same amount of time using a crane. But cheaper. And depending on the crane setup, takes up less space. And is more versatile. Can roll it anywhere. A crane only reaches so far.
You want it done cheap and fast, it wont be right.
You want it done right and fast, it wont be cheap.

You want it done right and cheap.., come back in a year..
bogger44
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by bogger44 »

I carry a 4x8 sheet of 10g across the yard and put it on the table. But then I'm 6'2" and 220lbs

Whay I will be doing is to have the metal standing on it's side in a rack then lift it on a trolly and onto the tabls

Return to “Fab Tables, Grind Stations, Material Storage & Handling”