Jig for Mig Welding - welding circles

All topics related to fab & weld tables, grind stations, material handling & storage, etc.
Copp3r
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Jig for Mig Welding - welding circles

Post by Copp3r »

Hey guys ( 'n gals )...

I've got a deal in place with a local guy to make some custom fittings and part of the contract has me (mig) welding a piece of 2" i/d pipe on to some flat plate steel.

To get a nice consistent weld I'm trying to figure out some form of a welding jig that I can place the plate on ... put the pipe down on the plate and then rotate the jig (or a part of it) 360 degrees to complete the weld in a nice professional manner. I hope that makes sense...

Right now I'm having to stop and start about four or five times as I weld. Start, weld a couple of inches ...stop... rotate the pieces... weld... stop...start, etc.

Does anyone out there have something they've created that I could get some pics of so I could copy it?

Thanks in advance !!!

Copper / roger
cbassjr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Jig for Mig Welding - welding circles

Post by cbassjr »

Just a thought I see tank rollers on Craig's list for sale. Don't know if they are or can be .motorized but you might check it out.
grindergary
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by grindergary »

I do that all the time.

I have a round plate welded to a 1 inch shaft with 2 bearings on the shaft. I bolted the bearings to a plate and welded a 1 inch pipe on the back. I then put the pipe in pipe stand and voila, a spinning table.

Gary
4x8 Home made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
4x8 Home Router made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
Candcnc DHCTII Electronics
Hypertherm Powermax 105 machine torch
Sheetcam, Mach 3
Corel Draw 8, V Carve Pro
Miller CTS 280 Miller Mig
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

It seems to me you could take GrinderGuys idea and put a stepper motor on the shaft. Hook up the motor to your CNC controller and issue a command to start it running, adjusting the speed to suit the welding.
I may have to try that idea out myself! :mrgreen:
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
plain ol Bill

Post by plain ol Bill »

Hey Gary - I am having a senior moment here (yet again). Would you mind post up a pic of the set up you describe?
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
grindergary

Post by grindergary »

plain ol Bill wrote:Hey Gary - I am having a senior moment here (yet again). Would you mind post up a pic of the set up you describe?
Sure, the next time I remember to bring my camera again. Senior moment :lol: Allways seem to forget it lately.

Gary
4x8 Home made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
4x8 Home Router made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
Candcnc DHCTII Electronics
Hypertherm Powermax 105 machine torch
Sheetcam, Mach 3
Corel Draw 8, V Carve Pro
Miller CTS 280 Miller Mig
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

The gadget you are talking about is called a welding positioner basically a motor driven turntable to attached the part being welded.
http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?12 ... Positioner

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?28 ... positioner

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?60 ... -equipment

hope this helps
Tom
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Francisco
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Francisco »

Copp3r

Post by Copp3r »

I knew there had to be someone out there with the answer. While I've been welding for years I've never had the need to repeatedly weld pipe so this Welding Positioner is just what the doctor ordered !!!

While I'm still in the throws of trying to make my own, I suspect I'll be purchasing one off of Ebay...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Automatic-Weldi ... 3f275cd832

Thanks for all your help guys !!!!!! I REALLY appreciate it !!!

Copp3r / roger
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

All the welders out here have a similar thing mounted on their truck. It is basically a circle, with some slots cut across it at 90 degree intervals. They run from say 2" off center out to 1" from the edge. They then cut out the area between them to save weight, mount it on a shaft and clamp it in their vice. They can bolt a flange or whatever to it, weld around 1/3 of the way, re-position and weld some more. I have also seen them made where the plate it flat with the shaft going down towards the floor. The support has a small circle welded flat on the bottom, and a bracket coming off the shaft with a pillar block bearing or two around the shaft. The bracket gets clamped in a vice that is mounted to the table, at a comfortable height to weld on. You affix the piece to be welded onto the top, sit down on your stool, and use your feet to rotate to shaft and subsequently the work piece as you work your way around. I don't have one, but have used one and it works real nice. Takes about 3 pieces to get the foot speed / coordination down, but after that you will be able to lay a seamless weld all the way around. Cool thing is if the table is steel, you can ground your welder to the table and not have a lead hanging off the work getting fouled as you turn it. It has no electric parts, is portable, and you could probably make one for less than $100, especially if you have a cnc plasma cutter. If I had more than a few of the items you described to do, I would definitely make one up. When you are done it can get hung from a rafter or whatever until you need it again. Infinitely adjustable speed (fast or slow as your little flipper can make it go) minimal moving parts (shaft in a couple pillar block bearings) low maintenance and low cost. Does not come with the cool 3 jaw lathe chuck but I suppose you could add one if you wanted. Kind of like a heavy duty turntable, engravers use the same mechanism on their vice a lot of the time, just use their feet to hold and rotate it as they cut.

FWIW if you are going to weld sitting down, I would recommend getting a leather apron or some such for your lap, it gets kind of country when one of those cherries bounces off into your lap and you don't have one on. I have that map.

Stay safe
Shane
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Largemouthlou »

Shane Warnick wrote:

FWIW if you are going to weld sitting down, I would recommend getting a leather apron or some such for your lap, it gets kind of country when one of those cherries bounces off into your lap and you don't have one on. I have that map.

Stay safe
Shane
:lol: :lol: :lol:
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

1000 Lb Lazy susan bearing from VXB Bearings mounted to a piece of plate... Less than $20 and with a little practice you're off to the races!

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit8999

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
CandCNC Dragon Cut 620 DTHC IV
CorelDraw X7, Sheetcam, Mach 3
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Oldsarge wrote:1000 Lb Lazy susan bearing from VXB Bearings mounted to a piece of plate... Less than $20 and with a little practice you're off to the races!

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit8999

Oldsarge
Thanks for that Oldsarge, I've never heard of them before. I just checked on Ebay Australia and can get them for about $25. I would have been looking at something like double taper bearings for a heavy load, so you've saved me some coin when I get around to building a welding rotator.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019

Return to “Fab Tables, Grind Stations, Material Storage & Handling”