Sheet Metal Handling

All topics related to fab & weld tables, grind stations, material handling & storage, etc.
Copp3r
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Sheet Metal Handling

Post by Copp3r »

When I first got the shop underway I struggled with ways to not only store sheet metal, but how best to handle it / move it.
Initially I made a tilt table that you could slide the sheet(s) of metal off of a pickup truck, onto the table and then once on, flip it to the vertical to move and store. With an increase in not only the amount of work I've been doing but also the thickness / gauge of the sheet metal, something had to change and here is the solution I came up with.

I purchased some 2x2 square tubing and welded some "ears" on the top for the "I" beam to fit into. I also welded some tubing on the back and some mounting plates with a single hole to allow a lag bolt to go in to a wall stud (one bolt top /bottom as the weight and stresses are up and down and not left to right)

The "I" beam was next. With my shop being 30 x 50 and not wanting any support beams for the rails in the middle of the shop taking up floor space and obstructing movement, I welded on some 1/4" flat bar to each side of the "I" beams. Yes, the "I" beams are going across the width of my shop; 30 ft.

Once all that was done, it was then a matter of getting all of that steel into place. While it took a day, I was able to do it all by myself. Lifting up one end of the "I" beam and then the other.... back and forth jacking it up as I went, the "I" beams made it to the ceiling ! Once there, it was merely a matter of slipping the vertical 2x2 posts so that the "ears" held the "I" beam in place.... and the posts were bolted into position.

The span between the "I" beams is about 8 ft. Initial when I put up the cable hoist and lifted a 1/2" sheet of steel, there was a LOT of binding with the rollers. My solution is shown in the picture.

Folks, while a great deal of work... about two days worth altogether, I haven't looked back since !!!!! I simply love the way things turned out !!!

For the heavier gauges of sheet metal I've got a 600 lb capacity magnet that will lift the sheets off my vertical storage table, slide them out, flip them horizontally and then roll it on to the cutting table. For the lighter gauges the magnet doesn't work that well so to lift the sheet metal off my storage tray I use a clamp and then once out on the floor, lay the sheet down and switch to the magnet.

For the Canadians amongst us, I purchased the cable hoist, rollers & clamping device from Princess Auto and saved a ton 'o money. The magnet was from Ebay I believe.
Hoist #1.JPG
Hoist #2.JPG
Hoist #3.JPG
Hoist #4.JPG
Hoist #5.JPG
Hoist #7.jpg
Hoist #8.jpg
Anyway, if this helps someone else along the way, great. No doubt like many of you, metal work was not my profession and so I've had to struggle my way through.

Cheers !!!

Copp3r / roger

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Sheet Metal Handling

Post by tnbndr »

Great solution and great job in executing your plan. Wish I had some of that space!!!!
A video in action would be nice.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Sweat roadster :D
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

elegant and well done. now, how would you propose I do the same thing with my space shown below?

this is what I'm currently doing... LOL. I need a bigger space!! :roll:
2015-08-03 10.33.35.jpg
2015-08-03 14.20.08.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
Bobcat320

Post by Bobcat320 »

Dang! And I thought mine was in a tight space!
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hyperthem PM65
Edwards 25T Ironworker
Miller Mig, Tig, Stick & Portable

Why pierce it when you can punch it!
Copp3r

Post by Copp3r »

Tight space huh.... improvise...adapt....OVERCOME there big fella. Don't let a little clutter in your garage stop you..!

LOL...!!!!

Copp3r

Return to “Fab Tables, Grind Stations, Material Storage & Handling”