Steel storage

All topics related to fab & weld tables, grind stations, material handling & storage, etc.
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Steel storage

Post by Scratch »

My brother recently found a good deal on a 4X8 plasma cutting table, and decided to get started in metalwork. I've been doing metalwork for about 15 years now and also have a plasma table, so he's been asking me for ideas on how to set up his shop and stuff.
He needed a storage rack for his steel and wanted it to be able to hold 4X8 sheet steel, as well as bar stock. I think he came up with a great solution and thought I'd share it.

He has a small space for his shop right now so he wanted it as compact as possible. It also needed to be movable. He has a skid steer with forks as well as a pallet jack, so the entire rack sits on fork pockets so he can move it around his shop if he needs to. It has 6 slots for 4X8 sheet steel in the center, and a bunch of smaller pockets on the sides for bar stock. I think he's going to put plywood or expanded metal on top for shorter pieces.
1.jpg

He had some scrap shallow unistrut material that he welded to the side to use as sliding hook storage behind the bench top for holding grinders, helmets, clamps, etc...
It also has a 1/4" thick bench top that's removable, and fold-able. I think it's about 24"x48".
2.jpg
6.jpg

The bench top has pockets underneath made from 2" receiver hitch tubing for the four legs so it can be used as a stand alone work bench. It also has receiver tubing running underneath the long ways so he can slide in optional arms to hold accessories like a steel chop saw or other stuff. You can see the removable arms in these pics.
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

I think it turned out pretty well and thought it might give others some ideas on a compact, versatile, storage rack for lots of different shapes and sizes of steel.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Steel storage

Post by acourtjester »

Nice work I'd say you covered the bases :D
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
hampstead
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by hampstead »

Very Cool !
Being new to having a forklift and all the possibilities with a fully movable shop is very helpful !
Al I could think about was big pallet rack shelves that would be in the way and too heavy once loaded to move.
Thanks !

Dan
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

Looks awesome! Always wanted to build a storage rack similar but that takes it a step further! Very nice :Like

Return to “Fab Tables, Grind Stations, Material Storage & Handling”