Powermax 45xp

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
martincoates
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Powermax 45xp

Post by martincoates »

Hi, this is my first post to you guys, I am new to cnc plasma cutting.
I have just bought a 800 x 1500 cnc deck, with a powermax 45XP plasma cutter.
Have bought it mainly for work, but nice to play around cutting profiles out .
I have been playing around cutting 3mm mild steel, the manual states using a speed of 3960mm/min at 128V. This seems very fast, should i slow down for internal accurate cuts?
I assume the current is set flat out at 45A, but how do you adjust the voltage?
Regards
Martin
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Powermax 45xp

Post by weldguy »

Welcome Martin!

That speed seems reasonable for what your cutting and the Hypertherm charts have always worked for me with little deviation from the setting they suggest.

The voltage is used as a reference for your torch height controller. For example you would set the voltage in your height controller to 128V and that voltage should achieve the proper cutting height stated in the chart.

If the metal bows up the arc will get shorter and as a result and the arc voltage will go down. Your torch height controller will see this decrease in voltage and raise the torch up higher to achieve the 128V and proper cutting height.

If you do not have an automatic torch height control than you can disregard the voltage setting.
martincoates
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by martincoates »

That makes sense, thank you very much weldguy.
Martin
martincoates
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by martincoates »

I see these " EasyScribers" advertised, does anyone know if there any good for steel
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

martincoates wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:33 am I see these " EasyScribers" advertised, does anyone know if there any good for steel
I have one and I love it, works great on steel, alumiunum, and I have had good luck on plastics too. Not as deep or wide as an air scribe but it can create effects that you cannot achieve with a air scribe and it doesn't sound like a jack hammer on meth like my air scribe does! Check out their Instagram page to see results on steel, stainless, and aluminum https://www.instagram.com/easyscriber/
martincoates
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by martincoates »

Great, thank you for that, will get one shipped over

Return to “Introduce Yourself”