Hello

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
sscan
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Hello

Post by sscan »

Hello,
Just joined this forum. A chemical engineer by training but worked as a mechanical and fluidic systems design engineer for the last 25 years. Now semi-retired and working part time in a biotechnology company in Silicon Valley. Hobbies include flying (single engine), tinkering in my home metal fabrication shop and playing tennis. I am interested in buying a plasma table (2X2) for just playing around with (nothing specific) but cannot decide between the GoTorch and Crossfire tables. Any suggestions for a newbie is very much appreciated.
Thank you all,
sscan
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hello

Post by adbuch »

Hi sscan,
I'm an electrical engineer and mechanical engineer by training, worked at the University of Arizona Space Sciences Lunar & Planetary Lab for many years before retiring at age 50 to pursue my current avocation. Last time looked, the Crossfire was priced at under $2000, while the GoTorch was around $3000 (please correct me if I'm wrong). I'm sort of biased, because I own and use several of the Plasmacam DHC2 4x4 tables (parent company of the Go-Torch). With the Crossfire, you will most likely be using Fusion 360 to create cut files. With the Go-Torch, you will be using the propritery Design Edge software. The Go-Torch comes with the very basic software required to run the macine, and there are a plethora of software upgrades available to Design Edge which will greatly enhance your enjoyment of the machine. If cost is no object, I would definitely opt for the Go-Torch with upgrades. If on a budget and just wanting to get your "feet wet" then the Crossfire would definitely be the way to go (in my estimation).
David

www.desert-hybrids.com
sscan
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by sscan »

Hello David,

Thanks for your comment. Cost is always a concern but the ability to use the machine in a meaningful way is important. I am leaning towards the Go-Torch as it can also be used as a CNC router. Great forum and thanks again.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Having the option to add a route is great, it expands the projects you can complete. There are many programs for CNC routing depending on what you want to spend and how complex you want to go.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “Introduce Yourself”