New Guy on the block

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
SpecialtySteelsGuy
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

New Guy on the block

Post by SpecialtySteelsGuy »

Hello everyone,
I am a complete newb when it comes to plasma cutting, I've used CAD a good bit over the years for my different jobs, but after drawing the files, that was as far as i ever got, files were sent off to other people to do all the cutting etc.
I have a Langmuir XR 4x8 table and razorweld cut45 plasma, been running it for about 2 weeks here and there playing with settings and cutting old files i've drawn up. Definetly fun to play around with. Just here to gain knowledge from everyone, been reading through alot of post on here and figured i should join and be a contributing member.
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: New Guy on the block

Post by Scratch »

Welcome to the site!
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Welcome aboard Guy! I have heard nothing but good reviews for the Langmuir tables, so I think you made a good choice. Langmuir has some excellent Fusion 360 tutorial videos for those wanting to learn Fusion 360 for cnc plasma cutting. Many here also use Inkscape/SheetCam, CorelDraw/SheetCam, or some other equivalent combination for their cad/cam. What are you using for your cad/cam for your plasma cutting? If you've cut anything interesting, please consider posting it for others to see.
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Welcome aboard, now you can enjoy the fruits of your labor (but after drawing the files, that was as far as i ever got, files were sent off to other people to do all the cutting etc.) Having own table you will expand your project list, things that ran around in you head now become actual items you can have and use. Custom projects that you can enjoy, no need to adapt other tools/attachments. build exactly what you want. Here are 2 clamping devices I made for my tool collection parts cut on the Plasma table the list goes on and on. Many here have posted their projects to add to the list. :Like
simple Router clamp
DSCN4507.JPG
DSCN4506.JPG
welding table clamps
DSCN2503.JPG
DSCN2483.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Tom shows some great examples of what can be done- Tools, accessories, fixturing, furniture, car parts, yard art, --- the list goes on and on. Not to mention adding attachments for engraving, wood routing, etc. You are only limited by your imagination.
David
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

SpecialtySteelsGuy wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:45 pm been reading through alot of post on here
There certainly is a lot of something here. :lol:

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

By the way, I love Tom's custom built "Rhino Cart". Table with lots of holes for clamps and such. I've got several of the originals - store bought - It was a pretty good deal. Got them from Trick Tools on special for $2499 with free shipping and some tooling/fixturing included. I know this sounds expensive compared to home built, but at the time I had so many customer cars to build and more money than time.

I have put them to good use. And another thing is that they can be connected to create a larger working surface. The come with casters and leveling feet so it is pretty easy to get the larger surface level/parallel for some of the larger jobs.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Mine is a CERTIFLAT, but many companies offer a similar design and well worth having as David explains :Yay :Like
I have a small shop so I made it a fold up type.
DSCN2462.JPG
DSCN2463.JPG
DSCN2467.JPG
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Tom - that's a very handy feature for folding up. Mine are probably too heavy to do that easily with the 5/8" thick tops. But I did build a larger frame table several years back that has removable legs for easy storage by tipping the table on it's side. That one is 14 feet long x about 4 feet wide. I will post a photo when I get a chance.
David
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

That is a nice tool right there! I don't have a weld table, but then, I don't do a lot of welding anymore. The correct tools sure make jobs easier.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Mine is only 3/16" yours I would watch my toes. :Wow :Like
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
SpecialtySteelsGuy
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

adbuch wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:31 am Welcome aboard Guy! I have heard nothing but good reviews for the Langmuir tables, so I think you made a good choice. Langmuir has some excellent Fusion 360 tutorial videos for those wanting to learn Fusion 360 for cnc plasma cutting. Many here also use Inkscape/SheetCam, CorelDraw/SheetCam, or some other equivalent combination for their cad/cam. What are you using for your cad/cam for your plasma cutting? If you've cut anything interesting, please consider posting it for others to see.
David
I've been using SheetCam, still learning my way around it but so far seems to be pretty straight forward. I use progecad for cad software, also have inkscape, haven't messed with that much yet
SpecialtySteelsGuy
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Joe Jones wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:22 pm
SpecialtySteelsGuy wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:45 pm been reading through alot of post on here
There certainly is a lot of something here. :lol:

Joe

I guess that would be called a thread? first forum I've ever actually joined, gotta learn all the lingo. :HaHa always just been a reader and a search function guy
SpecialtySteelsGuy
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Those welding clamps are sweet :Like I've already been putting it to work making a few tool holders and storage compartments ive been thinking up over the last few months while i was waiting on the table to come in. Also cut out a few winch plates and exhaust flanges ive had drawn up, and a tube roller im trying to design using swag roller dies. Once i get the kinks worked out and make sure everything works correctly I'll share it on the site, have to get a small bottle jack and an "axle" roller for it still before i can test it out.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

If I were into welding up things like this, a table with this capability would be a great addition to the shop. I have seen them at FabTech, with all of the eye candy clamps and gadgets that make the table irresistible. I am shying away from making things that require a strong back as I get older. :lol:

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

SpecialtySteelsGuy wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:15 pm Those welding clamps are sweet :Like I've already been putting it to work making a few tool holders and storage compartments ive been thinking up over the last few months while i was waiting on the table to come in. Also cut out a few winch plates and exhaust flanges ive had drawn up, and a tube roller im trying to design using swag roller dies. Once i get the kinks worked out and make sure everything works correctly I'll share it on the site, have to get a small bottle jack and an "axle" roller for it still before i can test it out.
:Like :Like :Like
Be sure to post some pictures so we can take a look. It's always fun see what others are making and we might get few new ideas.
David

Return to “Introduce Yourself”