Welding Instructor David Shriver

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
Kilomarine
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Welding Instructor David Shriver

Post by Kilomarine »

Came off Rig welding for a drilling Company, at 71 years old went into teaching with Simpson Technical College in Florida,to keep myself occupied.
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Welding Instructor David Shriver

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Welcome to the forum and glad your paying it forward with your real life skills.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Kilomarine wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:51 pm Came off Rig welding for a drilling Company, at 71 years old went into teaching with Simpson Technical College in Florida,to keep myself occupied.
Welcome aboard! I assume that you are teaching welding? Does your classroom/lab also have a cnc plasma table? What sorts of specific skills are you passing along to your students, and what sorts of projects (if any) are they making?
Thanks,
David
Kilomarine
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Kilomarine »

We have a Langmuir Crossfire table with Flashcut cnc. We have a one year to a career program, start out with basic stick, work to all position bend tests, go to mig then tig and they get an overview of the plazma table.As you can tell by my age ---plazma wasn't invented when I went to Hobart after Viet nam.So I am in the learning process.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Thanks Kilomarine! That is quite a diverse program you teach and I'm sure very enjoyable for both yourself and your students. Back when I took welding in high school we learned stick and gas welding, didn't have plasma or mig in our class back then. We did do some "forging", and I still have the cold chisel I made in the class. That was in 1965. I still have that cold chisel and it really holds an edge, probably better than some of my "store bought" chisels.

What software are your students using for their drawing and g-code creating? I know that many Langmuir owners are using Fusion 360, and Langmuir has some excellent Fusion 360 tutorial videos at their site. I also suspect that many of these younger guys (and gals) are also into 3D printing, and Fusion 360 is great for that purpose as well.

David
Kilomarine
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Kilomarine »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:30 pm Welcome to the forum and glad your paying it forward with your real life skills.
Thank You.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”