Intr

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
btolrud
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Intr

Post by btolrud »

Hi,
I’m starting to learn something new as a old dog. Have Langmuir X-RAY with the hypertherm 45xp with Machine torch
There is a lot to learn in the use of this machine. I have done a few cuts for my brother for some brackets. Been trying to do the marking of mild steel. Having some success but still not there. I bought all the different nozzles and such for the 45xp. I live in the northern part of Minnesota
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Intr

Post by adbuch »

Welcome btolrud! I have not heard of the Langmuir "X-RAY". Perhaps you meant to say Langmuir Crossfire. In any case, Langmuir makes some great tables and that Hypertherm 45xp is a top-notch cutter. My understanding is that the "marking" feature of the 45xp works best with nitrogen or argon in place of compressed air. I do own the 45xp, but have not yet tried the marking feature. Jim Colt had a nice tag he engraved (marked) using the 45xp for his SEMA display demo cnc plasma table. You could do a google search and probably come up with the article and specifics on the gas he used.

What software are you using with your table for design and g-code? I know that many of the Langmuir folks are using Fusion 360 for their cad/cam/post processing. In case you haven't seen them - Langmuir has some excellent Fusion 360 tutorial videos.

https://www.langmuirsystems.com/software/fusion

Good luck with your new adventure, and be sure to share some photos of your projects and shop setup.

Also, if you intend to make full use of the Plasmaspider site, you may wish to consider becoming a contributing member ($20) so as to have full access to all the great cut files and other features of this site.

David
btolrud
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by btolrud »

Hi,
thanks for the welcome David. I had a problem with the keyboard, my fingers were doing their own thing when I wrote X-ray. I meant the XR which the 4 x 8 table. I am currently using Fusionn 360. I have use CAD in the past, Autocad and other high end software. I did a mark on a 1/4 inch piece of mild steel. But had trouble with maintaining the ARC on some of the letters. The cut tables say 10 amp, to get the plasma to complete the word I had to increase amps to 20.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

btolrud wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:49 pm Hi,
thanks for the welcome David. I had a problem with the keyboard, my fingers were doing their own thing when I wrote X-ray. I meant the XR which the 4 x 8 table. I am currently using Fusionn 360. I have use CAD in the past, Autocad and other high end software. I did a mark on a 1/4 inch piece of mild steel. But had trouble with maintaining the ARC on some of the letters. The cut tables say 10 amp, to get the plasma to complete the word I had to increase amps to 20.
Thanks for that update! I haven't tried it out yet, but one of these days I'll need to check out the "engraving/etching" feature on my 45xp. Up to this point I have done my engraving with either my Plasmacam engraving attachment or using my cnc router table.

David

Return to “Introduce Yourself”