Newbie and need info

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Newbie and need info

Post by acourtjester »

There are many different types of users here and they use their table for different things. You will need to search your area for outlets for what you do with the table. Check with local Fabrication shops you may be able to supply them with custom parts. Look at local consignment shops for unique items you may cut and finish for them to sell. I have heard of guys putting things in restaurants for them to hang on the wall with tags attached to give info about your services, or for sale.
Another category is to add options to your table like a router, engraver, or drag knife to open other markets for you to sell products. Many here sell wall art, monogram wall or door hangers, mailbox toppers, business card holders and on. You need to put out the effort, or sell the table.
here are a few thing I made with my table :Like
DSCN2612.JPG
DSCN3362.JPG
DSCN3280.JPG
DSCN2111.JPG
DSCN3678.JPG
DSCN2678.JPG
DSCN2796.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Newbie and need info

Post by Scratch »

When you say you haven't done a thing with it, do you mean you haven't used it? Haven't sold a thing? Or just like haven't really made any decent money with it?

I hope you've at least learned how to use it.

Christmas is coming up and I sell lots of small home decoration pieces around this time of year. Things like:
8" tall snowmen on stands painted white.
6" snowflakes on stands.
Words like NOEL, SANTA, JOY, PEACE, in like 4-5" tall letters welded to stands, painted gold or silver.
Christmas trees painted green.
Reindeer, trees, or Christmas-y words welded to stakes to put in peoples pots outside.
Search for stuff like "reindeer clipart black and white" with the Google.

Little stuff like that.
Post them to your Facebook page and all your friends will see them and want them. I've found that for Christmas decor, some people don't want to hang things on the wall, but would rather set them on the mantle, end table etc...

Also if your last name is like Smith, make a really fancy "S" in some fancy monogram style font, paint it or patina it, then hang it on your wall and post a pic to FB. I made one for a neighbor, a while back, posted it and ended up selling like 15 different letters in a week from all the exposure.

Another one I sell alot of is coat hooks. My most popular font is CurlzMT. Type out the name of your daughter, weld a one inch tall bar underneath the letters the length of the name (in your software) cut it out, then weld 2" pieces of 3/8" round bar to the bar and either weld big ball bearings to them or cut out little flowers to weld on them. Paint them in some pastel color and again... post to fb and let all your friends see how cute they are.

Springtime is a great time to sell garden stakes. Get a bunch of 3/16" rod, cut them in to like 24" or 36" pieces and weld butterflies, dragon flies, daisy's, sunflowers, etc... to them. Paint them in bright colors, (but leave some to rust) That shit sells like crazy in the spring!

I think I was lucky. When I got my table like 15 years ago, nobody really had one. I had a list of people who wanted weld on beadlocks before I even bought mine. I paid for my table, cutter and PC just in beadlock kits. Word spread and I started making Hemi conversion motor mounts for Jeeps and other off road brackets. Now it seems like most shops just buy their own table. I'd go for the craft and decor niche, then you'll end up with people asking you to make custom signs for their bar or gifts for birthdays.

Good luck
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...

Return to “Introduce Yourself”