Hello from South Carolina

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
Harrisonweld
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Hello from South Carolina

Post by Harrisonweld »

Wanted to introduce myself. My name is Richard owner/operator of Harrison Welding LLC. I have been running a welding business from 3 years now. I have recently purchased a used Arclight Dynamics 12000 pro. This I a new service I am trying to offer and know nothing about it. Current software it’s running is sheetcam and Mach3. I’m using fusion 360 for cad at the moment. I running a Hypertherm powermax 85 and a ingersoll rand air compressor with a 3 stage water trap. Hope everyone has a great day.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hello from South Carolina

Post by acourtjester »

Welcome aboard, sounds like you have the stuff needed to hit the road running. It will be speed up your fabrication side of the business. You may find that Fusion 360 will work but may not be the best for CAD drawing for Plasma work.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

welcome

fusion360 may be a bit complex if all you do is 2d stuff, but it's whatever you get use to to get the job done asap
Harrisonweld
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Harrisonweld »

Yea I noticed when I first tried to cut a part the scaling was messed up. Had to download an addon to allow it to size correctly. What cad do you prefer for plasma cutting. I also have solidedge. But I have yet to learn it.
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

I use autocad, but I have used it for 20 years. I have inventor too (similar to fusion 360)

I would use librecad if autocad was not available to me for 2d it is very simple. I've dabbled with it

I have freecad too... but find it with too many menus and options too much for a simple drafting programme

I would suggest having at some YouTube clips on 2d cad and see what looks simple to you
Harrisonweld
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Harrisonweld »

I had autocad lt but never used it. I did not renew it but that was before I got the table. I’m guessing autocad would work for industrial parts and Inkscape for decorative.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Software is a personnel thing, how it looks and what they call operations or appear different, this effects if you like it or not. I use TurboCAD 2018 I have used earlier versions too. The thing is find one and learn it, I like Inkscape, many use Corel or AI. Getting the work done is what its about. Most have large numbers of YouTube tutorial videos that help to get you going.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

I wouldn't choose to use autocad it's just that I've been using it for 20 years in my day job that I know it so well. too expensive for what it is... there are free versions such as librecad that do exactly the same thing with the same keyboard shortcuts that I've used for 20 years

acourtjester is right. software is about what you feel comfortable with plus gets the job done
Harrisonweld
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Harrisonweld »

ok thanks. I will check around to see what is available free.
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

Harrisonweld
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Harrisonweld »

Robertspark thanks I downloaded librecad. I used it for alittle bit. Seems like a good software. I will have to download freecad and try it out also. I noticed in fusion I was doing a small part drawing and the software was lagging bad. I think there having issues cause every couple of days it has an update. Really just need basic software.
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

fusion360 is good, but if all you want is just a 2d shape it's probably (in my opinion) a bit too complex.... it will also be pc and graphics card dependant as it will render the model.

like I said I don't presently use fusion360 but use Autodesk Inventor if I need a sheet metal bent shape (only because I've been using inverter for 10 years now)

just to give you an idea of what it can do
https://youtu.be/HAdLCHHLfgY

again like autocad.... I wouldn't buy it.... because fusion360 can do it too.. and it too can be had for free (I am just a hobby user) and while you are learning it and trying it out in my opinion it too should be free untill you start making money off the back of it

https://youtu.be/7hBZ6cFmWjQ

Return to “Introduce Yourself”