Newbie from Arizona

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
Jiron
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Newbie from Arizona

Post by Jiron »

Hi there y'all, just ordered a table from Luke cyr, curious plasma 4x8 , being delivered first week of December, very excited, I have owned an iron company for 18 years building fencing and Gates, I have since retired and just going to tinker , with that being said I don't know squat when it comes to computers, I am a quick learner, curious where everyone is getting files for all types of stuff, signs , fire pits , and anything else you all think I may need, being a welder for 18 years I don't just want to cut out metal art, I would like to cut and weld stuff, thank you in advance for any advice and information, Jason
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Newbie from Arizona

Post by acourtjester »

Welcome aboard, you will find many projects here by using the search function in the upper right. Change wording to expand the search, as well all don't call things the same. There are other sites with DXF files for projects also use Google and YouTube to search. CNC plasma will really open up your ability for new tool constructions.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
MakoInParis
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by MakoInParis »

Hello,
i
I would recommend looking into a software like "AutoDesk Fusion 360". It's a very powerful 3D design software that is professional grade and free to use for 2 years profesionally OR for free for hobbies. You can "easily" design 3D structures, created tech drawings, and create the 2D files to plasma cut.

Download it and FOLLOW THE BASIC TUTORIALS. It will take a solid 20-30hrs to follow the interactive tutorials, so go into it with an openmind and with some reserved patience. Once you get a basic grasp you will be amazed how quick you can design complex projects: Truck Bumpers, Fire Pits, BBQs, Shelving, encasings, ect ect... and have it export the files totally compatible for any Plasma cutting machine.

If you have the time to learn the basics it's a total game changer. For somebody who has already alot of practical experience like yourself, i think you will spend more time looking for the right buttons than trying to understand "how to design something".
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

MakoInParis wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:40 am Hello,
I would recommend looking into a software like "AutoDesk Fusion 360". It's a very powerful 3D design software that is professional grade and free to use for 2 years profesionally OR for free for hobbies.
Where does it say it is free for hobbies? All I see on their site is that it is free for students and educators.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
MakoInParis
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by MakoInParis »

djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Thanks. It looks like you have to renew it every year. Kind of like DraftSight used to be.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
MakoInParis
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by MakoInParis »

Never used draftSight, but I have been using fusion 360 for 8 years for laser cutting and 3D printed parts. It’s an amazing software that incorporates mechanical simulations as well.

If you have any questions on 3D design, I will happily answer them.

-MAKO

Return to “Introduce Yourself”