New wright cnc 4x4 light industrial owner (with issues)

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
w.e. design
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

New wright cnc 4x4 light industrial owner (with issues)

Post by w.e. design »

Hey folks,

New to cnc world, got a Wright CNC 4x4 light industrial table with hypertherm 45xp and proma torch height control (which was never given to me and was told "back ordered"

Quality of the table is good and bad, nice materials and powdercoat but alot of little parts and bearings no linear rails, alot of places where the table can go out of square.

GRIPES: the table doesn't come with any adjustable feet to level table, had to fab up something myself. The refurbished dell desktop they supply was a joke, super bare bones, wasn't upgraded at all (i'm sure mach3 doesn't need much computing power). they supply universal power cables that didn't vibe well with the dell desktop and compaq monitor (yup, two different brands lol) i had to find some dell power cords.

ISSUES: Put the table together with some issues due to uneven floor in my garage but got everything together minus THC (back ordered) and i went to go cut a test piece and the torch doesn't fire!!!! the table goes through the motions but the torch never fires. i hit F5 and i get nothing either. kinda stumped at this point as i am super new to all of this and sheetcam and mach3.

Greetings and thanks for all of your help!

Will Ehmann
insta >>> @hammeredandunworthy
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: New wright cnc 4x4 light industrial owner (with issues)

Post by plasmanewbie »

Welcome Will! Sorry to hear your startup hasn't been as simple as it should be. You find meet many talented and helpful people here that can help.

Are you using a hand held torch or a machine torch?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

there are some things that need to be setup in Mach 3 for the torch output to work. If they are setup check the images below for the things that need to setup. When you click on the F5 the yellow led should flash, if you go into MID page you can enter M3 in the command line box and hit enter, the led should flach M5 turns it off. Go to the diagnostic page and the #1 output should be flashing red when torch is triggered. Now it those are working then the wiring to the Plasma unit needs to be checked, fi machine torch if wired correctly it will fire, hand torch may need wiring mods (not sure may be some other member with say).
PM send check on it.
plas 2.JPG
plas 1.jpg
plas 1.jpg (17.6 KiB) Viewed 725 times
plas 3.JPG
plas 3.JPG (48.72 KiB) Viewed 725 times
plas 4.JPG
plas 4.JPG (65.97 KiB) Viewed 725 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
w.e. design
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by w.e. design »

i am using the machine torch supplied with the 45xp
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

You will a cable to hook up to the rear of the Hypertherm, info is in the book about the pins for connections. This is also where you will find the voltage divider output for the THC unit.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
w.e. design
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by w.e. design »

Update: culprit was a not properly stripped wire going into a screw terminal for one of the wire going to the relay for the plasma signal inside the controller box. Had to take it out, re strip, tinned and shoved them back in.
Attachments
4D9F2385-7E39-482E-B458-63896A49398F.jpeg
w.e. design
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by w.e. design »

Random gift for a friend
Attachments
AE5E8AE4-3B3A-4ECB-B28E-2FE4D8BC3031.jpeg
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Ah yes the old bad connection trick :HaHa
Makes you feel better when you find the problem, that will not come back to haunt me later :Like
Nice when you can personalize a gift and see the smile on their face. :Yay
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

8-) 8-) 8-)
JGDesign&Fab
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by JGDesign&Fab »

Running into the same issues on multiple fronts. Received my 4 x 4 about 6 weeks ago. Prior to shipment my Hypertherm 45 that had been on order for 5 months at that time was unavailable. So be it. I have an ESAB PCM875 that's just sitting. So after purchasing most of my own hardware to assemble the machine, i didn't receive the wiring kit. A few weeks later i received the wiring kit. Get it all together and fought one issue after another. Now I'm finally at a point to run the machine but am looking for any guidance in wiring the 4 pin connecter for the Hyppertherm to my 2 wires off the ESAB torch. I've found continuity between 2 pins when i command the machine to fire, but also found low voltage out of the 4 pin connector and just not 100% certain. That coupled with ZERO response or help from Wright, I've decided I just need to troubleshoot it myself. Thank you in advance for any input.
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... j39lwprXpZ

Page 23 any help, bottom left hand side

Look at the pinout on page 23 alongside the CPC wiring for the hypertherm shown below.

Please note the voltage divider on the esab is 21:1....not sure what your wright CNC controller is expecting as hypertherm have a few options available via dipswitches

JGDesign&Fab
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by JGDesign&Fab »

robertspark Thank you! This was exactly what I was looking for.
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

It wasn't an ESAB but on one plasma I owned, I had to revise the wiring in the torch itself to get it to fire. As if you don't ave enough to contend with the first time you turn your plasma cutter on!
ScottRa
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ScottRa »

Hi Will,

I had an ESAB, same model I believe and you might want to check before using it. I think it used a high frequency pilot arc which I was told causes havoc with the electronics. I seem to recall some had even bought expensive braid to run the cable through and still had trouble. Somebody here would know for sure, but’s that’s what I recall.

Scott

Return to “Introduce Yourself”