Welder buys a plasmacam, realizes he doesn't know what to do, ends up here

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
Ironworker427
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Welder buys a plasmacam, realizes he doesn't know what to do, ends up here

Post by Ironworker427 »

Hey guys, I'm Nic. Just got a hold of an old plasmacam 4' table from a local high school. I don't have any experience using a plasma table so when I fired up the computer for this thing and started trying to draw, I realized I have no friggin clue what I'm doing!!! So here I am to humbly ask the internet for answers and advice. So glad you guys are here!!
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Welder buys a plasmacam, realizes he doesn't know what to do, ends up here

Post by adbuch »

Hi Nic,
Which model Plasmacam did you get, and what software came with it?
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Welcome aboard, Many of us started in a similar way, first step is the desire and you have that and put your money down. Having and using a CNC table have many steps but it is not out of reach. Step back and develop the big picture so you can see the different processes and what is involved with each. The old story about eating an elephant you start one bite at a time. Here is a short video I made for a buddy to see the process, it is not a long laid out description just an overview. The end screen is still Mach 3 but was developed by the company whose electronics I used at that time. Your software for the table operation most likely is different, but the basic idea is there. Lots of help here from a varied group of members.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
plasma_burn
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by plasma_burn »

I have never been a big fan of their old drafting tools (I have never used the new stuff, so it may be better). It depends on what your end goal is as to the best drafting tools.

-mechanical parts
-art type stuff?

you will probably need to get the ownership transferred to you also. I have no idea how you are going to get the school to sign this.....but it is attached.

Also join up with the Owners Group, you will need the machine serial number, and my have to have the above processed before you can join. FUN!
https://owners-community.com/pc/login/
Attachments
Transfer of Ownership.pdf
(44.02 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

The model number of the machine (not the serial) and the version of software you have would be helpful.

I teach classes on Design Edge (the current version Plasmacam software) so if you have version 4.0+ then you might find the FB and YT videos I've done helpful. There are many similarities if you're using 3.11 or older but notably the shortcut keys I reference in the videos and some functions are not the same or not present on the older software.

Links to that stuff is in my signature.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”