New Guy from Arkansas - Retired USAF - CNC Newbie, Router and Laser

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
blackdragon128
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

New Guy from Arkansas - Retired USAF - CNC Newbie, Router and Laser

Post by blackdragon128 »

Greetings all:

Title says most of it...I'm recently retired from USAF after 24 years. Took up a DAF Civilian job to pay the bills and got a new hobby...CNC Laser and CNC Router.

Started with zero knowledge and now I'm better than newbie status however I know I could do so much more. I look around and see some nice projects. I have a BobsCNC E4 router engraver and 3 Bachin CNC Lasers (2x500mw, 1x2.5mw). In theory I can do so much with these CNC units but theory and practice are not the same. Several failed projects have proven that I can do ALMOST anything. Cutting records was a disaster...looked easy...found laser engraving is almost deadly. CNC Router and records became messy as globs of vinyl broke most of my bits so any advice in that area would be appreciated.

I just started and am learning to write G-Code and have a few tools to write it. 2D is not the problem...2.5D is what I'm looking at working on with the CNC Router. Once I master that, I'll be happy...till the next toy comes along.

Looking for G-code files to play with. I don't do this for profit as I mostly create keepsakes for my military friends and Airmen that work for me at the base to say thanks as our budget for purchasing awards is zero and I have alot of folks that work hard and I'd like to say thanks for that hard work. Looking forward to gain skills that will improve my keepsake making ability.

- Dragon
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: New Guy from Arkansas - Retired USAF - CNC Newbie, Router and Laser

Post by acourtjester »

Welcome aboard, you have the tools and with some help you will enjoy them, I do a few things with my CNC table and as others here we will share info. For the 2.5 D there are 2 programs I use Estlcam is a good one at about $55. from Germany, and F-engrave and its add on companion, this is free. Here are 2 things I have done with Estlcam using a "V" bit.

DSCN3678.JPG
DSCN2678.JPG
DSCN4153.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “Introduce Yourself”