FFA Advisor/ Welding Instructor

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
PBERLAN
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

FFA Advisor/ Welding Instructor

Post by PBERLAN »

Hello everyone,
I've been here for a while but only in and out. I am a welding Instructor in Texas. Our students have cut out some cool things and really enjoy our plasma cutter. Initially I walked into a shop with a windows 98 computer hooked to a plasma cam table and was told it hadn't moved in years. I spent a year getting her going and a summer playing and figuring things out. Just about the time I got things going my way admin shows up with a 4x8 arc light dynamics table. I was pretty much back at square one. A year into it I have noticed how outdated we were and how far behind I am on technology. I can do some cool stuff but it's hard to teach something you barely understand. Thank you guys for all the file shares and support this far. Please know that I will do my research before running to you guys for answers. I hope you are patient with me. It's new to me, layers, files, open paths etc. Lol. I mean, Im a welding Instructor, not a computer science guy lol.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: FFA Advisor/ Welding Instructor

Post by adbuch »

Welcome aboard! Lots to learn here and plenty of folks to help you out with your questions.
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Welcome aboard, lots to learn but gets better as you formulate a big picture of the process. The thing I tell some that may help is CNC is like GPS the code moves from one point to the next. By this I mean you start at a point 0,0 and the code moves the torch (router, drag knife, and scribe ect) to the next point in its travels. Like you going on a trip your home is 0,0 and the code tell which streets/highways how to get the the end. It also has the speed, amps, nozzle type distance from the metal (THC). The CAD is used to develop a Map, the CAM develops the directions and the table software puts it all in action to produce the part.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
PBERLAN
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by PBERLAN »

Thank you guys. Already reaching out for some help on an octagon fire pit with tapered sides. I'm not one to ask before I try but this one seems to be more than I can handle.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I have replied to your question about the firepit here.
David

https://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic. ... 09#p190109
cdrake
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by cdrake »

Looking for some help as well. I am an FFA advisor in Oklahoma and I have a student doing a table with a firepit in the middle. It is an octagon firepit that has 18" dimensions for the sides. Need help designing the sides and a bottom for this project.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

PBERLAN wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:28 pm Thank you guys. Already reaching out for some help on an octagon fire pit with tapered sides. I'm not one to ask before I try but this one seems to be more than I can handle.
PM sent.

David

Return to “Introduce Yourself”