Hi everybody

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
roberob2025
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Hi everybody

Post by roberob2025 »

Hello everyone I'm Rob. I am new to the CNC scene. i got my first taste of CNC when I bought my Crossfire Pro. It has been a journey. The only thing i knew about CNC was what the letters stood for I had no idea there was so much more to it. I have fusion 360 paid version and I have been cutting with a Primeweld Cut60 plasma cutter. I have cut out a few designs and have gotten better and better at it. I have learned just from watching youtube and reading articles and forums on the internet. Plasmaspider is the first forum i have joined and not just slimmed through so I am hoping that I can learn a lot more and be able to help people in the process. thank you all for the help so far.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hi everybody

Post by adbuch »

Hi Robero, welcome aboard! Those Langmuir machines are a great value, and I have heard nothing but good things about the Crossfire Pro. Curious why you are using a paid version of Fusion 360 when both the Educational version and Hobbyist version are offered for free. I have been using the Educational version for several years now and it does everything I need, particularly if I were using it for cnc plasma cutting - which I am not. I have a Plasmacam DHC2 table, so I use the Design Edge software. But I do use Fusion 360 for solid modeling as well as sometimes teaching others the basics. We will look forward to seeing some of your finished projects, and be sure to ask if you have questions about anything cnc plasma related (or engraving, laser etching, etc.) as there are many here able and willing to help.
Good Luck!
David
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

He doesn't sound like a teacher, so he wouldn't be eligible for the educational license. I didn't see anything about a hobby license in the documentation.
https://www.autodesk.com/company/terms- ... #education
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

f360 for personal use.jpg
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

After initially using the "educational version" to learn a particular software program, to evaluate it, and to determine whether or not it will actually be beneficial to my BUSINESS, I always purchase a commercial license when it becomes apparent that I will use the software in my BUSINESS, to make a PROFIT. It is the right thing to do, after all.

Joe

Last edited by Joe Jones on Mon May 02, 2022 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

djreiswig wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:10 am He doesn't sound like a teacher, so he wouldn't be eligible for the educational license. I didn't see anything about a hobby license in the documentation.
Now you know WHY the Commodore 64 computer died.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

djreiswig wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:10 am I didn't see anything about a hobby license in the documentation.
"Hobby License" : Translation -

The decision to use software to make a profit in a business without paying for a license to use the software to make a profit in a business.

I understand that some people do it "for several years." :wink:

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Personally I don't use Fusion 360, Design Edge, or any of the others for "making money". This is strictly hobby and/or educational stuff. But I do quite a bit of "charity work" printing 3D parts for friends. Sometimes they supply the stl file, and sometimes they give me a drawing and I use either Fusion 360 or Solidworks to produce stl for input to slicer.
David
roberob2025
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by roberob2025 »

I paid for Fusion 360 because if the support. I was and still am new to CAD and CAM and CNC so when I first got started I had no idea how to use Fusion 360. I thought I could just use a stylus and draw what I wanted I had no idea that in order to make a heart you had to make 2 circles and delete lines. So i watched a lot of youtube videos and searched the internet but nothing I watched or read about would help me with the questions I had about what I was trying to design. If you have the free version of fusion 360 you can only ask questions in the forum but if you have the paid version you can get help right away live from someone. They would take control of my computer and show me how to do what I was trying to do. It took me around 6 months to figure out how to cut and open line! I am more of a hands on visual learner then if I read about how to do something I do not understand it right away. So as much as I read and did my research I just couldnt seem to make sense of what I was reading. And I didnt want to be the guy in a forum that was like hey can you help me out? I guess I just didnt want to be embarrassed. most of the time I didnt even know how to say or explain very well what I wanted to do! Trying to explain what I was trying to do to the autodesk people was a big challenge also. The Langmuir forum was a great benefit also. I have read a lot about CNC plasma cutting in the last year and I still have trouble trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. But there are the times that everything goes so beautiful and the design comes out perfect that it just makes you want to do more and more. Thank you everyone for understanding if I dont get what you're trying to explain to me right away!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

roberob2025 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:35 pm I paid for Fusion 360 because if the support. I was and still am new to CAD and CAM and CNC so when I first got started I had no idea how to use Fusion 360. I thought I could just use a stylus and draw what I wanted I had no idea that in order to make a heart you had to make 2 circles and delete lines. So i watched a lot of youtube videos and searched the internet but nothing I watched or read about would help me with the questions I had about what I was trying to design. If you have the free version of fusion 360 you can only ask questions in the forum but if you have the paid version you can get help right away live from someone. They would take control of my computer and show me how to do what I was trying to do. It took me around 6 months to figure out how to cut and open line! I am more of a hands on visual learner then if I read about how to do something I do not understand it right away. So as much as I read and did my research I just couldnt seem to make sense of what I was reading. And I didnt want to be the guy in a forum that was like hey can you help me out? I guess I just didnt want to be embarrassed. most of the time I didnt even know how to say or explain very well what I wanted to do! Trying to explain what I was trying to do to the autodesk people was a big challenge also. The Langmuir forum was a great benefit also. I have read a lot about CNC plasma cutting in the last year and I still have trouble trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. But there are the times that everything goes so beautiful and the design comes out perfect that it just makes you want to do more and more. Thank you everyone for understanding if I dont get what you're trying to explain to me right away!
Roberob, that makes perfect sense - and I'm happy to hear that the Autodesk team provided you with the personal support you needed. We have a Fusion 360 section here at the Plasmaspider forum as well - and all questions are welcome. Everyone has to start somewhere, and you learn as you go. For me personally, I studied the Langmuir Fusion 360 youtube tutorials as well as an excellent set of Fusion 360 lessons from Arnold Rowntree. One good thing about Arnold's lessons is that he provides the drawing files for you to print out so you can follow along with each lesson. He has a great approach to teaching and I highly recommend his tutorials. You know they say: "There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers".

Good luck and let us know if we can help with any of your questions.

David

roberob2025
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by roberob2025 »

Hi David. I spent a lot of time watching and rewatching the Langmuir videos as well. They got me to know the basics and what I was sorta doing! I will check out the videos you said. July will be my renew year so I've been doing this for a year now and there's still so much more to learn. Thank you for your advise I appreciate it.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

roberob2025 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:22 pm Hi David. I spent a lot of time watching and rewatching the Langmuir videos as well. They got me to know the basics and what I was sorta doing! I will check out the videos you said. July will be my renew year so I've been doing this for a year now and there's still so much more to learn. Thank you for your advise I appreciate it.
You are quite welcome! Let us know if we can help with any other questions you might have.
David

Return to “Introduce Yourself”