Another new guy

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
cythejuggler
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Another new guy

Post by cythejuggler »

Hi, I'm Cy and I am an experienced Tig welder/fabricator/artist just starting to get into plasma cutting. I've decided I need to add a CNC table to improve my capabilities. I think I've decided to go the DIY route hopefully to save some money and learn some new skills along the way. I have no previous CNC experience, but I figure now is a good time to start learning.
sonbakler
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Another new guy

Post by sonbakler »

Sounds like a great move getting into plasma. There is a DIY section here viewforum.php?f=103 which may be of some help, it did help me. There are 2 or 3 site sponsors that advertise above and who manufacture electronics packages for DIY'ers. Check them out. I went with C&CNC years ago and have been satisfied.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Hi Cy
Welcome aboard, there are many DIY types here, and they will share info. I have built a few table and it is a great experience, and it will aid in you learning process. Being a Tig welder and Fabricator is a big plus, it will add to the saving being able to understand and assemble the basic for the table. It will be a plus for your fabrication work, just buy raw metal and draw up and cut the parts you need.
private message sent from here in you in box.
have fun
Tom
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Welcome to the forum Cy! You're going to have lots of fun with this project. In addition to the actual table/hardware build, you will get to choose and learn several cad, cam, or cad/cam programs for drawing your parts and creating your cut paths/g-code to send to your machine to cut. Inkscape and Sheetcam seem to both be very popular here, as well as Fusion 360. Inkscape and Fusion 360 are both free, and Sheetcam is very inexpensive to purchase. There are many cut ready files here as well - you can use the search tool to find almost anything you are after. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
David
CRuscelli
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by CRuscelli »

Hey thanks to the guys still maintaining this site, there's a lot of great info and technical support here.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

CRuscelli wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:27 am Hey thanks to the guys still maintaining this site, there's a lot of great info and technical support here.
Welcome to the forum! Perhaps start a thread here and introduce yourself to the community. By the way, the cost is pretty reasonable to upgrade from Plasmacam 3.11 to Design Edge - and well worth it in my opinion.
David
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

:roll: Did someone mention upgrading from 3.11?

Where are you located Cy?

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
cythejuggler
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by cythejuggler »

Thanks for the replies and info to help me get started. I foresee many hours spent reading and researching on this forum.

Joe, I am up in Minnesota.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

cythejuggler wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:53 pm Thanks for the replies and info to help me get started. I foresee many hours spent reading and researching on this forum.

Joe, I am up in Minnesota.
Okay, thanks. That means you are at least 7 hours away, and probably more.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”