absolute newb.....

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
bob67cam
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

absolute newb.....

Post by bob67cam »

let me start by saying im an idiot, and i apparently love diving headfirst into the shallow pool...
my garage is more of a tool storage unit then anything else, its a 2 car garage and wayy too small for me, hopefully that will change in the future ;)
so i had cleared out and borrowed out enough tools to make enough room for working on a garden tractor, so what would be even better then having that room, how about a 4x4 plasma table to go with my 20 year old plasma cutter?... sounds like a wonderful plan to an idiot! ;)
no cnc experience, but im a glutton for punishment, so bring it on!
so thats where im at, so far ive swiped a ton of files from the freeby section, and thank you all for that! and just basicly have been trying to get my table cutting correctly, which im pretty close, i think.
i normally build random crap, and rebuild old junk but it keeps me busy and for the most part out of trouble...
im pretty much the ole jack of all trades master of none, but i do alot of handyman stuff, electrician, woodworking, metalworking, plumbing, mechanic, metal lathe machining, and the list goes on and on...
that said, if theres any plasma table masters out there who need a full time buddy to teach this stuff to, im all ears!..lol
i dont have any website, even tho i used to build those too....
but i do have a FB page if youve made it this far and are bored enough to check it out, it has a very small sampling of the woodworking stuff and mostly just pens ive made, and hasnt been updated in quite some time https://www.facebook.com/flawedbob
all that said, thanks to any of you have helped me already or to those who will help me, i truly appreciate it!
p.s. welding/plasma cutting and woodworking create tough times..lol
p.s.s. my name is bob, and i like to build stuff.....
Attachments
20170919_191240.jpg
20220502_205226.jpg
20220419_205438.jpg
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: absolute newb.....

Post by adbuch »

Bob - I checked out your Facebook page and you make some great looking stuff! I didn't realize there was such a market for pen kits.
Keep up the great good work.
David
FB pens.jpg
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Welcome aboard Bob
Looks like you have a start on the table base, do you have any electronics yet. Many DIY types here to help, when asking question try to direct them to the category they fit best in. When you can start looking at the different software package that can be used with working with a CNC table. There are many types of CNC tables so some info from other fields can help to get a clear picture as you get started. There are different operations but many of them similar enough to help with learning. Some of the manufactures have web site with tutorials that are great (free to watch) Langmuir, and Arclight are 2.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
bob67cam
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by bob67cam »

adbuch wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:52 pm Bob - I checked out your Facebook page and you make some great looking stuff! I didn't realize there was such a market for pen kits.
Keep up the great good work.
David

FB pens.jpg
pens are a strange market, its not huge, but in the way of a personalized gift it makes a bit more sense, anything from weddings to graduations, or as simple as a tree falling in a storm and id make a pen from that wood, or a tribute to a passed on pet.
by largest sale was a small business who wanted 12 pens to give 1 to each of his employees to show appreciation.
if someone had bought a model a ford and was going to go with an all steel or glass body, i could make a pen from the old wood framework as kind of a tribute or whatever, theres alot of odd ideas that come into play, which is why i dont get too bored of it, and it keeps that hobby interesting ;)
and thank you!
bob67cam
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by bob67cam »

acourtjester wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:22 am Welcome aboard Bob
Looks like you have a start on the table base, do you have any electronics yet. Many DIY types here to help, when asking question try to direct them to the category they fit best in. When you can start looking at the different software package that can be used with working with a CNC table. There are many types of CNC tables so some info from other fields can help to get a clear picture as you get started. There are different operations but many of them similar enough to help with learning. Some of the manufactures have web site with tutorials that are great (free to watch) Langmuir, and Arclight are 2.
yes i have the proma electronics, the table(cutting edge plasma 4x4) is up and running, im just trying to get it dialed in, best cut, least slag or dross, that kinda thing.
it seems almost like i make an adjustment, and it does better, but in the grand scheme, im kind of just guessing, i have no start point as my 20 year old (hobart airforce 625(miller 625)) manual had nothing for a plasma table..lol
and cnc didnt really exist for me untill now so im crash coursing it i guess..lol
as far as software goes, im using myplasm cnc
Attachments
20220426_201853.jpg
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

the pierce and cut height are fairly standard at .160" pierce and 0.060" cut. Speed effects dross, easy why to find is to run tests cutting about 6" straight cuts for each metal thickness to produce a chart for you to use. Hypertherm manuals have cutting chart showing a lot of info but not sure how closely your Hobart will follow. You may do some test and compare to see if there is an offset for you to use to calculate for the rest.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “Introduce Yourself”