New from Texas

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
cdsnapp
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

New from Texas

Post by cdsnapp »

Just starting out with my Langmuir XR. Been an auto tech forever and wanted to find something
as I get close to retiring. Done a lot of fab and welding work as a hobby and thought this may be
a good addition. A little overwhelmed with the computer software, but slowly learning, Hope to be
cutting soon.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: New from Texas

Post by acourtjester »

Welcome aboard Good choice which Plasma unit did you get, many Languir users here, help is a question away. Also a quick look around use the search function in the upper right. many nest projects to download file for here too.
have fun
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Welcome to the forum! Gotta love those Langmuir cutting tables. Which software are you learning? Many of the Langmuir owners seem to prefer Fusion 360 for their cad/cam/post processing. Then again others like the Inkscape/Sheetcam combo. Coreldraw is another great option. Good luck with your new endeavor and keep us posted as you move forward along your new journey.
David
cdsnapp
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by cdsnapp »

Good morning,
I purchased the razorweld that Langmuir sells, just figured it would be easier starting out. I would like to upgrade to a hypertherm when I finally get
comfortable using it. I'm trying to learn Fusion 360 as well as Inkscape and Sheetcam. That's a lot of knowledge for this old brain to absorb though.
Thanks for the welcome. I look forward to learning more on this forum.
Chris
Rftek
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Rftek »

Howdy Chris, welcome to the forum! Great to see another Texan round here, if your near the Austin area and want to check out my langmuir rig, send me a PM!

I just reread your post - you got a XR! Jealous. If I had the room I would upgrade. Now I want to see this bad boy running, if you need help shoot me a message. regards
cdsnapp
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by cdsnapp »

Thanks for the Texas welcome. I'm in East Texas, close to Buffalo. Still trying to learn the software but hope to be cutting soon. I will definitely take
you up on any help. I appreciate the offer.
Thanks,
Chris
Rftek

Post by Rftek »

good luck Chris! For what its worth, here is the workflow I have settled on:
Inkscape for design -> Sheetcam for tool path -> Firecontrol for cutting (also scale/rotate/pattern etc)

I don't do much 3d stuff and have gotten pretty familiar with Inkscape so its really fast/accurate to do projects. I will say Sheetcam is not free, its like $99. good software (there is a Firecontrol post processor you would download from Langmuir).

Theres lots of caveats to learn but maybe you'll get up and going soon! regards
cdsnapp
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by cdsnapp »

Thanks,
I did download Inkscape. Played with it a bit, still feeling my way around. I did buy Sheetcam as well. I also have the Fusion 360 software.
It's all just a big learning curve right now. Hopefully I'll get the hang of it.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

cdsnapp wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:53 pm Thanks,
I did download Inkscape. Played with it a bit, still feeling my way around. I did buy Sheetcam as well. I also have the Fusion 360 software.
It's all just a big learning curve right now. Hopefully I'll get the hang of it.
:Like :Like :Like

Return to “Introduce Yourself”