New to community from Oklahoma

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
DJA
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

New to community from Oklahoma

Post by DJA »

Hello all. My name is Dan and I'm glad to have found this forum. I have a Wright CNC 4x4 table and am happy to report that it works as it should. I say this because those who bought from Wright after did not fare so well. Anyway, I am just a hobbyist and enjoy making parts for project vehicles. I've been working (slowly) on a land speed racing car (pic attached) and have other little projects going on some others in the shop. I model in Fusion 360 and QCAD and have recently started working with an SLA 3d printer.

The next plasma related project I want to wade into is automated tube notching. I have begun modeling a design and to investigate the software side. This is where I will need some help.

Dan
IMG_3761.jpg
IMG_3761.jpg (91.59 KiB) Viewed 544 times
sonbakler
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: New to community from Oklahoma

Post by sonbakler »

Welcome Dan! Great looking shop and definitely a cool project car you have there, a plasma table is a dream come true for building stuff like that. Would like to see more of that build as the project moves ahead, very cool.

I have tried notching round tube so many different ways and always end up coming back to doing manually with a bandsaw and a 4.5" grinder. If you plasma cut the notches you need to grind it back beyond the heat affected zone anyway so no time is really saved I have found.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

sonbakler wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:26 am If you plasma cut the notches you need to grind it back beyond the heat affected zone anyway so no time is really saved I have found.
Why would you need to do this? The pipe is going to be heat affected when you weld it anyway. You can anneal the welded joints with a rosebud tip on an acetylene torch, to remove the brittleness that leads to cracks. I see no point in grinding back heat affected cuts.

Very fun project! Definitely a labor of love! You have more energy than I do. Good luck with the car. Post follow up photos as the project progresses.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Welcome aboard Dan! Nice looking shop you have there. I'm interested to hear more about your plan for an automated tube notcher. I see no reason at all why the "heat affected zone" would need to be ground off or otherwise removed, particularly for roll cages and such. But perhaps this all depends on the alloy being cut. In the old days when the slingshot dragster frames were welded together from chrome moly, the finished welds were either torch annealed or the entire chassis was put into a large over for annealing. What material do you plan to notch and what is your particular application?

I have a cnc rotary cutter built from Plasmacam parts that works quite well. It is great for all sorts of tube "notching" or "fish mouthing". Do you plan to add this capability to your existing Wright cnc table as an attachment, or build a stand-alone unit? I will look forward to hearing more about your project.

David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Ok not to put down a rotary tubing cutter for a CNC table but here is another idea for a dedicated fish mouth cutter.
There are others who just make a bushing type tube to slip over the tube you want to cut and use for a guide for hand cutting. Real simple if you only do one or two sizes of tube. A bushing is make for each angle of the cut.

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:16 am Ok not to put down a rotary tubing cutter for a CNC table but here is another idea for a dedicated fish mouth cutter.
There are others who just make a bushing type tube to slip over the tube you want to cut and use for a guide for hand cutting. Real simple if you only do one or two sizes of tube. A bushing is make for each angle of the cut.

:Like :Like :Like :Like :Like
Nice find Tom! I will most definitely check these out.
David
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

Welcome! I'm over here on the eastern side of the state!
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
DJA
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by DJA »

sonbakler wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:26 am Welcome Dan! Great looking shop and definitely a cool project car you have there, a plasma table is a dream come true for building stuff like that. Would like to see more of that build as the project moves ahead, very cool.

Thanks! Yes the plasma table definitely helps with my projects.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

DJA wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:26 pm
sonbakler wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:26 am Welcome Dan! Great looking shop and definitely a cool project car you have there, a plasma table is a dream come true for building stuff like that. Would like to see more of that build as the project moves ahead, very cool.

Thanks! Yes the plasma table definitely helps with my projects.
:Like :Like

Return to “Introduce Yourself”