New Guy in northern Utah

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
Glenk
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

New Guy in northern Utah

Post by Glenk »

Hey everyone.

I'm working on building a cnc plasma table(~2x2) mostly based on the plans from JDs Garage on youtube. Swapping the Arduino for an ESP32 as I like those better and plan on using FluidNC as the base(and probably modifying it a bit myself). I work as a software developer and once upon a time was a graphic designer at a print shop and have also worked with 3d/Cad in 3ds Max/Sketchup/Fusion/RevIT so while I'm new to the CAM portion, I feel like I have a pretty good handle on the rest as far as design goes.

Just getting this journey started and I'm sure will start with some crafts/signs, but also planning some auto/motorcycle/atv things. Next equipment I plan to buy after I get this going is a box/pan brake.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: New Guy in northern Utah

Post by adbuch »

Welcome aboard Glenk! It sounds like you've taken on a fun project. There is a DIY section of the forum with much information on many different builds. 2x2 would be a very handy size for some smaller projects, or perhaps even index thru for larger pieces. A sheet metal brake is a handy tool to have around the shop. Also smaller press brakes like the Swag Offroad kits are nice for brackets and such. Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.

David
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

Welcome! Good luck on your build, post pics if you can. Your background experience will certainly be a big help in this project. Have fun!
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Glenk wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:12 pm Hey everyone.

I'm working on building a cnc plasma table(~2x2) mostly based on the plans from JDs Garage on youtube.
Out of curiosity, what will it cost you to build it and get it up and running with software? I only ask, because I would like to compare it to the GoTorch from PlasmaCam. Their 2x2 is $4K, and that only comes with the most bare bones software. If you really want the machine to SING, you have to spend about $5K MORE on software upgrades. I am guessing that you will put together a 2x2 for a lot less than $9K :Wow

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
Glenk
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Glenk »

I'm probably in it around $800-$900 for the steel for the table/motors/bearings/wiring etc. Basically everything not including the compressor and plasma cutter itself. I already have a 5hp 25 gal compressor that I feel may be fine for now. I did spend another ~$150ish on air filter/desiccant dryer, so I'm right around 1000 not including the plasma cutter. including plasma I'm ~$1500. Probably another $100 I'll spend on additional random hardware like connectors and things once I get that far

I bought the Hynade Cut60dn as basically the cheapest blowback Pilot Arc non HF cutter with cnc controls that I know some people are having success with.

I realize there are plenty of better/fancier options, but keeping it somewhat reasonable for now before I get too far into it
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

As I stated, I like the GoTorch, but it isn't much at all, without an $8K investment.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

tinspark
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tinspark »

Joe Jones wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:09 am As I stated, I like the GoTorch, but it isn't much at all, without an $8K investment.

Joe
Agreed on the Gotorch. I started with one because of cost. 3k 5 years ago
I wasn't sure how much I would use it at my home shop, so didn't want to invest in a more expensive 4x4 table if it just sat there.
I added Advanced designedge 2k *(basic designedge is 1k, and once you have basic advanced is an additional 1k)
Then basic height. 1k
Air compressor that meets the air requirements 1k (low end unit but has worked for about 5 years now)
I had the 45xp in my shop that I purchased a few years beforehand for my shop. but that was about 2K
So minus a compatible air compressor exhaust system, the initial cost or me was about $9k

and for me approx. another 2k to expand to a 4x4 . this was for steel and all the other parts which I am glad I did
So I am all in with a very capable machine for about 11K

One note about designEdge for those that do not have it, it is a very capable CAD/CAM program.
But for me, and most of all, it is a lot of fun to use, which isa great stress reliever. I still love it after 5 years!
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Height Control/Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm 45XP-
Logan Lathe + myriads of other shop toys
**CAUTION**- "Does Not Play Well With Others" :)
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

tinspark wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:54 pm
One note about designEdge for those that do not have it, it is a very capable CAD/CAM program.
But for me, and most of all, it is a lot of fun to use, which isa great stress reliever. I still love it after 5 years!
I always tell people it is similar to paying the ASTEROIDS game of the 80's. DesignEdge is FUN to use, once you become familiar with its capabilities.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

tinspark

Post by tinspark »

I dropped many quarters in the arcade playing that game back in the day, along with "space Invaders"
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Height Control/Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm 45XP-
Logan Lathe + myriads of other shop toys
**CAUTION**- "Does Not Play Well With Others" :)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”