Hypertherm powermax 65 will not fire 0-30 trouble code

Post by jeffa0831 »

Cut great one day doesnt fire the next any help would be great
Stout
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hypertherm powermax 65 will not fire 0-30 trouble code

Post by Stout »

Where are you seeing the 0-30 trouble code? Are any of the power supply diagnostic LED's lit up?
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
Sector Technologies Photon 5x10 water table machine with Hypertherm Micro Edge Controller, Powermax 105
grindergary
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by grindergary »

jeffa0831 wrote:Cut great one day doesnt fire the next any help would be great
A 0-30 code is this-
Torch stuck open
The nozzle and electrode are
not touching after a start is
received.
This is right out of the manual. Check your torch and consumables.

Gary
4x8 Home made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
4x8 Home Router made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
Candcnc DHCTII Electronics
Hypertherm Powermax 105 machine torch
Sheetcam, Mach 3
Corel Draw 8, V Carve Pro
Miller CTS 280 Miller Mig
gary42095
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by gary42095 »

Re: hypertherm 65 Error 30

Postby jimcolt ? Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:47 pm
The error code 0-30 means that the torch consumables are stuck. The electrode has to move freely (it is spring loaded) inside the torch in order to get the pilot arc started. Check the following:

-Check the consumables to ensure they are properly installed. Inspect the nozzle and electrode for wear...there is a section in your operators manual describing consumables inspection. If there is any doubt, replace with new consumables.

-check the swirl ring for signs of obvious damage....replace with a new one if you are unsure. The electrode must slide freely inside the swirl ring...a burr or a crack or a piece of debris can hinder its operation.

-Ensure that you have adequate air pressure and flow at the rear inslet to the plasma. Pressure must be between 90 and 135 psi when the air is flowing at the torch. If you are reading the pressure 50' away...there could be a restriction between the gauge and the plasma. The air hose must be 3/8" diameter...at lengths up to 50 feet, and 1/2" diameter for longer lengths.

-Ensure that your torch pressure (output pressure) is in automatic mode, and that your front panel selector switch is in the cut mode.

Keep me posted....you can also contact Hypertherm's technical service department directly. It is free and the techs are very helpful. The phone number is in your operators manual.
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

I often have the same problem and it seems that its sometimes caused by water in the line or bad consumables.So far when I service my water filter and replace my consumables the problem goes away for quite a while.
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

One of the most common issues I hear from the field is the 0-30 code. This is (99% of the time) almost always a direct result of a restriction in the air system plumbing before the air reaches the plasma inlet.

If a pressure gauge is installed right at the inlet (not upstream...must be right at the inlet just like thge pictures I am posting) you will always notice that the static (no air flowing at torch) indication on the pressure gauge will read essentially the same as a gauge as far away as the compressor....this is because the air pressure equalizes throughout the system when there is no air flowing.

As soon as the torch is triggered and air flows....I absolutely guarantee that you will se the pressure gauge at the plasma air inlet will drop. The one in my shop drops as much as 12 psi with air flowing at the torch with an 85 amp nozzle installed. (less with smaller nozzles).

When the plasma demands air it will show all restrictions in the air plumbing system in the form of an inlet pressure drop. As long as the inlet pressure (with air flow at the torch) remains higher than 90 psi (and lower than 135 psi)...then expect the plasma to cut wel and with no error codes related to air pressure or stuck consumables (unless the consumables are stuck!). A large pressure drop is caused by:

- air hoses or pipes with too small of a diameter (must be 3/8" ID minimum, up to 50' length, 1/2" id for longer than 50').
-Too many fittings, elbows, quick disconnects, tees, etc. Each fitting will produce a drop in pressure.
-Too many filters. Even a brand new filter will produce a drop in pressure under flow conditions. A filter that has some particulate in it will produce a larger drop. A filter that is saturated with moisture, common during the humid season....will produce a large pressure drop.
- A regulator with too small of a flow rating will produce a large pressure drop.

These are the single most common issues with air plasma cutting systems. Please install an inlet pressure gauge like the one pictured on every plasma cutting system! It will save a lot of time.
powermaxpressuregauge 002.JPG
powermaxpressuregauge 001.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

jeffa0831
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by jeffa0831 »

I have a plasmacam set up an i had the torch clamped to tight
jeffa0831
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by jeffa0831 »

I want to thank everyone for the help
Woodchuck33
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Woodchuck33 »

I am Having the same issues, changed all the consumables checked the lines the only thing I haven't done is replace the bowl in the back. really lost here, one min it says 020 then 030 then 012 I looked in the book but still lost worked fine all week then bamm fires for a line then goes out.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Did you install a pressure gauge at the inlet as suggested in a previous post? Have you changed the swirl ring? 030 is almost always related to inlet air starvation (size of the compressor has nothing to do with this, rather it is caused by restrictions in your plumbing) , a worn out swirl ring, moisture in the air. Jim Colt Hypertherm

Return to “0-30 Fault Code”