No speed set when trying to cut???

Langmuir Crossfire, Crossfire Pro, Crossfire XR plasma table discussion forum
scott1
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

No speed set when trying to cut???

Post by scott1 »

I have a crossfire, after downloading a couple of these files, they won't start to cut and message says "no speed set"??
Can I set this/ modify?

Very new with this............. and fustrated
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: No speed set when trying to cut???

Post by weldguy »

So do you see this message with other things you have cut?

What software do you use to generate your g code?
scott1
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by scott1 »

I have had this for a year,
I ran the fusion 360( when it was free)
Fire control also just like they recommend......
I have Yet to make a succesful cut!!
I thought I would try this place, so I paid my $20 and tried three different programs from here.
All the results the same error code.
I am also "trying" to learn Inkscape so i can create my own but no luck there either yet
I have tried talking to Langmuir on the phone and they just got it to cut a straight line and a square( I didn't buy it for that)
As you can tell Beginner here
HELP before I have to modify it with a 20# sledge
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Ok so don't bog yourself down with learning Inkscape or anything right now, 1 thing at a time and designing cut files is not your problem at the moment.
So when they had ypu cut a straight line and square how was the line and square designed? In Fusion, post processed, and cut or was it just premade shapes in Firecontrol?
Are you using Sheetcam or Fusion to generate your gcode?
scott1
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by scott1 »

it was there canned test.
Can I generate a gcode with inkscape???
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by TJS »

Inkscape only creates the CAD file, SVG, DXF, etc. When you create your cut plan are you using Sheetcam (this creates the G-code). I have found Canned/simulator files do not work. Well at least they did not work for me in CommnandCNC. Frustration is always going to be prevalent when you don't know how to do something. I/we were all in the same boat. There are really helpful people on here. This is where I learned a lot and have tons more to learn.
T.J.
scott1
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by scott1 »

so the "canned" files on here still need to be converted to gcode??
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

Scott,
Yes, the .dxf or .svg files you download from here need to be converted to "g" code files (.tap files). The work flow is to design a file in a CAD program, such as Inkscape, Coral Draw, Fusion 360, etc. The resulting .dxf or .svg file is then loaded into a CAM program, such as Sheetcam, processed using a post processor designed to work with your machine (usually supplied by your machines builder), and then outputs the .tap file. The .tap file is then loaded into your machine controller as "g" code, which tells the machine what to do.
Some of that description is a bit general, as I don't know what your machine uses as a control system.
Good luck, Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

scott1 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:26 pm I have had this for a year,
I ran the fusion 360( when it was free)
Fire control also just like they recommend......
I have Yet to make a succesful cut!!
I thought I would try this place, so I paid my $20 and tried three different programs from here.
All the results the same error code.
I am also "trying" to learn Inkscape so i can create my own but no luck there either yet
I have tried talking to Langmuir on the phone and they just got it to cut a straight line and a square( I didn't buy it for that)
As you can tell Beginner here
HELP before I have to modify it with a 20# sledge
Fusion is still free for hobbyists. Let me know if you need the download link. Please show a photo or screen shot of the exact error message you are receiving. Is this message generated while in Fusion 360 or from your Langmuir control software? Which post processor are you using to generate G-code from your Fusion 360 file? Why don't you go ahead and post the file that is giving you problems and I will take a look at it. Is it something you have imported to Fusion 360, or have you drawn your own file from within Fusion 360? My feeling is that possibly you have not specified a cut speed, which may be something you enter using your Langmuir control software.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here is a screen shot showing where the feedrate is set in Fusion 360 cam.
David
Fusion 360 feedrate.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

scott1
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by scott1 »

just went through fusion again:
they give you 10 free downloads then you have to pay $495 a year.
I dont want to pay that much for something I could not get to work in the last year.................
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

scott1 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:13 pm just went through fusion again:
they give you 10 free downloads then you have to pay $495 a year.
I dont want to pay that much for something I could not get to work in the last year.................
Here is the link. It is free for hobbyists and personal use.
David

https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/personal
Fusion 360 free version.jpg

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I have sent you a PM with my contact info. Let's talk and I will walk you thru your options.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

scott1 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:55 pm I have a crossfire, after downloading a couple of these files, they won't start to cut and message says "no speed set"??
Can I set this/ modify?

Very new with this............. and fustrated
Scott - the files for download from the Plasmaspider forum are usually dxf or svg files, and typically dxf. You will need to use a post processor to convert these dxf files to g-code files. The g-code files are what is sent to your Langmuir Fire Control software for cutting. Assuming you are using Fusion 360, then your first step will be to either create a drawing in Fusion 360 or import an existing dxf (or svg) file into Fusion 360.

Once you have your drawing in Fusion 360, then you can switch from the Design workspace to the Manufacture workspace where you will create your tool paths for cutting (cut paths). This is where you will specify your cutting speed, cut height, pierce height, lead-in/lead-out lengths, etc. Fusion 360 has a simulation tool so that you can see exactly what your cut paths will look like as it is cutting.

The final step is to post process your file to create the g-code file. Langmuir has a special post processor for Fusion 360 which you can download from their website and install into Fusion 360. The Langmuir website explains exactly how to do this. Once you have "posted" your file, a window will open showing you the actual g-code. The file containing this g-code is what you will send to your Fire Control software so that you can actually cut out your part.

Here is what the g-code look like for the simple washer I showed earlier.
Fusion 360 g-code.jpg
I will assume that if you were attempting to load dxf files into Fire Control, it generated the error message because it did not see any lines of code containing feed rate information. F100, F40, etc.

If you don't want to use Fusion 360, then another option would be to use Inkscape to create your drawings and save as dxf, then import to SheetCam to create your cut paths and generate your g-code. If you decide to take this route, then you will need to download SheetCam and install the Langmuir post processor for SheetCam (also a download from the Langmuir website).

You can download a trial version of SheetCam, which has a limit on the number of lines of code it will handle. Once you purchase a SheetCam license, then you will be able to process any size file you wish. I don't personally use SheetCam, but there are others here who do and who may be able to help you if you choose to go that route.

David

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Scott - Here is an example file for you to take a look at. This is a simple rabbit outline. I have provided screen shots of the steps below. Since Plasmaspider does not support uploading nc files (at least not that I am aware of) I have included the download link so you can try this file with your Langmuir FireControl to see if it works for you.
David
rabbit jpeg image.jpg
rabbit.dxf image.jpg
rabbit.dxf imported to Fusion 360.jpg
rabbit.dxf imported to Fusion 360 - simulate cut path.jpg
rabbit.dxf imported to Fusion 360 - post process.jpg
rabbit.dxf imported to Fusion 360 - post process 1.jpg
rabbit.dxf imported to Fusion 360 - post process - gcode.jpg
rabbit.dxf.dxf

Here is the download link for the nc file (g-code file)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/119c0Oz ... sp=sharing

Return to “Langmuir Crossfire Forum”