Hey From Louisiana

Langmuir Crossfire, Crossfire Pro, Crossfire XR plasma table discussion forum
chpcnc
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Hey From Louisiana

Post by chpcnc »

Hello Everyone,

Just getting started with CNC work here in Northeastern Louisiana. I have a Sienci longmill router that I have been playing with, and am ready to take the next step and get into CNC Plasma. I just ordered a Primeweld Cut60, and I am torn right now between whether I should get the Langmuir Systems Crossfire Pro or XR. They look like either one would probably get here in December. Advice on air compressors and air drying would also be appreciated. I am considering a Kobalt Quiet Tech 26 Gallon. It is 4.5cfm at 90, but I believe it is around 6cfm at 40, which is the psi that the Primeweld Cut60 operates at from reading online. Also considering a Harbor Freight air Dryer or possibly a copper tube system. Not sure if a dessicant system would work well here. (The humidity is terrible.) Thanks in advance for any help.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hey From Louisiana

Post by adbuch »

Welcome aboard! I have heard nothing but good things about the Langmuir tables - I think either one that you mention would be fine. The air cfm recommendations are for your Primeweld Cut60 are "Be sure to follow the 6 cfm at 90 psi recommendation and plan on having at least a 30 gallon tank with a strong motor to keep up." So the compressor you mention sounds a little bit small. Also - the bigger the tank the better. I would recommend 40 to 60 gallon as a good size. You don't want to run out of air in the middle of a cut. I personally use a refrigerated air dryer for my table. Mine is a Speedaire purchased many years ago, but I have heard of many here using the HF refrigerated dryer with good results. Many of the Langmuir users run Fusion 360 for their cad/cam, and Langmuir has some great Fusion 360 tutorials at their site. Inkscape/Sheetcam is also a popular cad/cam combination. Good luck!
David
chpcnc
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Hey From Louisiana

Post by chpcnc »

Hi David. Thanks for all the information. I will look into a more powerful compressor with a larger tank. I already have a little bit of experience with Fusion 360, so it’s good that it works well with Langmuir tables. I will definitely look into the tutorials. My plasma cutter will hopefully be here by Friday, and I can get it set up and get some of the settings figured out before the table gets here. I’m just ready to get started.

Return to “Langmuir Crossfire Forum”