Langmuir Control

Langmuir Crossfire, Crossfire Pro, Crossfire XR plasma table discussion forum
Lwrncweissman
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Langmuir Control

Post by Lwrncweissman »

Hi all,

Can a system from Langmuir be used with any other controller and software other than whats provided?

Thanks for your help here.

Larry
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Langmuir Control

Post by weldguy »

Hey Larry, for sure you could replace the control system and software, there are many off the shelf retrofit or DIY controller kits that would work on any table. Which Crossfire unit do you have?
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Larry - which Langmuir table are you using, and what issues (if any) are you having with the controller and software?
Thanks,
David
Lwrncweissman
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Lwrncweissman »

Ok all, Thanks for the reply...

I have not bought my plasma table as of yet. I am doing my research and have chosen the Crossfire XR as the table I want based upon cost and it also uses ball screws.

Currently I use a table (not mine) that uses MyPlasmCNC and I find this extremely easy to use. I can use a DXF file from any where, throw it into this software, it generates good tool paths in a second, including offsets, etc. that are useful.

Seems a lot easier than signing up for Autodesk Fusion 360, learning how to control your table through this with a bunch of settings, throw it into another part of the program to actually send to the controller used on the Crossfire XR.

I currently draw in every program out there, Solid Works, Libre Cad, whatever and this is not the issue, but would rather not be tied to the cloud through Fusion 360...

Any other thoughts here would be great and appreciated...Not sure where to go, but will have to learn this system if no other options exist to get a table like this..

Thanks Larry
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Lwrncweissman wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:21 pm Ok all, Thanks for the reply...

I have not bought my plasma table as of yet. I am doing my research and have chosen the Crossfire XR as the table I want based upon cost and it also uses ball screws.

Currently I use a table (not mine) that uses MyPlasmCNC and I find this extremely easy to use. I can use a DXF file from any where, throw it into this software, it generates good tool paths in a second, including offsets, etc. that are useful.

Seems a lot easier than signing up for Autodesk Fusion 360, learning how to control your table through this with a bunch of settings, throw it into another part of the program to actually send to the controller used on the Crossfire XR.

I currently draw in every program out there, Solid Works, Libre Cad, whatever and this is not the issue, but would rather not be tied to the cloud through Fusion 360...

Any other thoughts here would be great and appreciated...Not sure where to go, but will have to learn this system if no other options exist to get a table like this..

Thanks Larry
Hi Larry,
You don't need to use Fusion 360 in order to run the Crossfire XR. You can create your dxf and cut paths using other software. Any of the programs you have mentioned should be able to export your drawing as dxf. Then use SheetCam or other CAM program to create your cut file. Many here use SheetCam for g-code generation, the cost is very reasonable, you can get a free trial, and it seems to be very well supported and does not run from the cloud. I think I would stick with the FireControl machine control program that comes with the Langmuir table and go from there.
David
Lwrncweissman
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Lwrncweissman »

Hi David,

Thanks for the insight..

Best to stick with whats provided as a starting point.

Good there are non cloud options. I design with an old old version of Solid Works on a non internet connected laptop and am able to design some really intricate parts from software from the beginning days of parametric modeling. It seems all the new cloud connected stuff is essentially the same tools for basic modeling with nothing new in that respect. The cloud is convenient for sharing across an engineering environment, but I have no need for sharing in this respect...lol

I will check out Sheet Cam as well as other options after I get used to running the table..

The learning curve on everything seems to be minor compared to the savings on the table.

Larry
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Hi Larry,
I use Fusion 360 for my solid modeling needs, mainly for 3D printing. I also have and use SolidWorks 2016, but I find the Fusion 360 user interface so much easier to use (and quicker for me) that I have pretty much switched from SolidWorks to Fusion 360. My only complaint about Fusion 360 is how slowly it initially loads. But once running, it is fine - I am using one of the free versions and have been for several years now. I have occasionally used the sharing feature in the past, but find it more convenient to simply email the files instead.

I think you are on the right track using the Langmuir control software, and will look forward to hearing how you make out once you have your new table up and running.
Good luck!
David
Lwrncweissman
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Lwrncweissman »

Thanks
Will let ya know how it goes...

Larry
adbuch