hypertherm 85 problems

Discussion on 0-20 fault codes
gs123
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

hypertherm 85 problems

Post by gs123 »

ha plasma guys
maybe y'all can help me with a problem im having with my hypertherm pm85. it is hooked up to a torchmate 2*4 table. machine torch.
been cutting fine for a long time then wham. in the middle of a cut, the torch goes out. im using fine cut consumables.noticed a light on , on the pm85. fault 0-20 . so i looked it up and it states that " low gas pressure". i changed the consumables to new. still no good.
checked the pressure at the pm85 with a gauge. 138psi. also changed the filter on the motor guard. it was in there probable too long. still no good. the hypertherm cuts for about 10 sec then stops cutting .do y'all think that i might of blew some trash into the hypertherm and its clogged up inside?
any help would be appreciated.
hsolve
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: hypertherm 85 problems

Post by hsolve »

Good morning gil sonnier.
I assume that the PM 85 has auto air pressure regulation. I have a PM 125 that this also happened to. It is potentially a problem with the auto air valve, providing all else is OK. It took me some time to find this and after a couple of day searching. It resolved it's self after I connected the air supply one day. I just heard a light 'pop' and all was operational again. Has not missed a beat since. Have posted a message to get an answer but never received one. Have not persued an answer as the problem has not reappeared. Go figure!
gs123

Post by gs123 »

thanks for the reply hsolve

i tried cutting today and the plasma cut better but still had times that it stopped with 0-20 code.(had to turn off and restart) is there any way to check the auto air pressure regulator w/o replacing it? it seams to happen when the torch bottoms out (dives into plate) sometimes due to cutting 16ga plate with a lot of warp. i wish this torchmate had an ohmic senser instead of crashing the torch into the plate. i dont know if that would cause the 0-20 fault. can't understand why it happens sometimes and not others. is it the pm85 or is it caused by the thorchmate height control?
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

You need a gauge hard plumbed at the rear panel inlet....watch it while activating the air flow at the torch (you can do this by giving the torch a quick start signal...which will put it in post flow). You will see the gauge drop.....be sure it stays above 90 psi when air is flowing at the torch.

If this drops below 90 when air flow starts....then you have a restriction upstream of the air inlet. This could be caused by debris stuck in a fitting, icing inside the line, or a plugged filter, moisture trap.

If the pressure stays above 90 and you get the 0-20 error code, then I would suggest contacting Hypertherm tech support for further troubleshooting assistance of the gas flow system.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Does the 85/65 have a purge setting to check flow/clear lines out?
gs123

Post by gs123 »

brand x
no purge setting. no knob for air pressure. all automatic.
jim
going to get an air pressure gauge and connect it to the pm85. ill reply later with results.
thanks to all for helping.
gil
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

You would think with all the fancy programming, adding a line purge would be possible to do.. I like that feature on other cutters I have had..
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

There is a purge setting. You need to go to the service screen by pressing and holding both buttons under the display. Then you use one of the buttons to scroll down to the toggle the air solenoid. I will have to look up the specific directions, and I will post them later. It is easier (for me anyway) to simply trigger the torch quickly....which puts it in post flow, the same air flow as purge.

Jim
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

It's good to know it's there.. Did not seem leaving it off was a step forward.. used for clearing your torch lines before you start cutting for the day..
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Here is the info for the service screen on Powermax65, 85 and 105 systems. You can turn on the gas purge....and see data on a bunch of other items...even arc on time for your system! This is from the service manual. Jim Colt Hypertherm

service screeninfo.jpg
toggleserviescreen.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

gs123

Post by gs123 »

ha jim
i installed a gauge at the back of the pm85 and the pressure was 120psi. when the plasma kicked on the pressure dropped to 85 to 90 psi for about a half of a second then it went to 95 to 100psi while cutting. when the compressor pump kicked on the pressure was a little higher. could this be causing my problem? could it be that sudden drop in pressure causing the fault?
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Yes, somewhere between your compressor and the plasma is a restriction. If you have filters or moisture traps....maybe there. Could be a piece of rust or debris stuck somewhere in your plumbing. Could be a hose or pipe that is too small.

Jim Colt
HammerDownJustin
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by HammerDownJustin »

Didnt read everything else above so this might be covered already. What size line are you running to the table and how far? Reason Im mentioning it is because I moved my table farhter away from my compressor. I have been running off a air hose along the wall for a couple years. Then i started getting misfires with codes. turned pressure up a little at the compressor output and it was fine. Then I added a second tank half way down for extra volume. Now when the temp is higher I seem to get this issue again. Popped the hose off at the plasma end to hook up a blower one day. Realized the line was to small to keep the extra tank filled up to enough pressure for the plasma. I again cranked the output pressure up another 20 psi for now and back to normal. But will be running larger line asap to keep up with the volume.
Home built 5x10 table CandCNC electronics
Miller 251 Mig
And lots of other cool stuff...
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

You need a minimum of 3/8" id hose up to 50', 1/2" ID on longer runs. 1/4" will give you issues for sure!

Jim Colt Hypertherm
whiskeymike
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by whiskeymike »

Jim, with the hard plumbed gauge, do you see any issue with plumbing just short of the cutter, going into a T, one end going to cutter, other going up 4' to gauge? I'd like to put the gauge just above table height so I can see it without getting down on the floor.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Should be ok. Jim

Return to “0-20 Fault Code”