Trouble with cutting

Discussion on 0-30 fault codes
Maadman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Trouble with cutting

Post by Maadman »

I have a 2x4 TM and a new Hypertherm 65. Have been cutting and then won't cut at all. It seems to work fine for a while, then nothing but misfires. It almost always happens at the start of the cut. Torch goes down, fires pierce cut and then nothing. It stays down at cut height and continues to try over and over, the only way to stop it is to turn off the signal generator. If I'm lucky, I can reconnect to it, but sometimes all the buttons are "grayed out" on the TM software and it has to be closed by the task master and restarted. Lots of fun to get table back to zero, etc.

We changed filter cartridge and put pressure gauge on back of HP. Although it starts out at 110 or above, pressure drops way down as soon as air flow starts. This is only for about a second, but it seems to be enough to confuse the HP.

I have talked to TM, they changed a couple settings. It seemed to work for awhile, but here we are back again to the same old thing.

I have a single stage compressor with 9.6CFM@90 PSI. It is a 6.5HP and has a 60 gallon tank. Factory presets are 130/100. I thought that would be large enough to use. Any ideas????????
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Trouble with cutting

Post by acourtjester »

How big is the air supply hose to the Hypertherm, are you getting an error on the hypertherm? 0-12 low input gas pressure warning fault led "out"
0-20 is low gas pressure fault led "on"
I think you will have another problem doing long cuts with that compressor but I could be wrong
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Maadman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Maadman »

I'm pretty sure it is a 1" hose that then goes into some filters and a 3/8" hose that continues to the cutter. Out of the VERY many times it has happened, I have received an error message only twice. It was the 0-12. The compressor seemed to be plenty big enough for the Thermal Dynamics 45 I've been running. Didn't care for the TD and upgraded to a HP65.
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by sphurley »

Any filters/dehydrators in line? They will reduce your CFM unless you upsize them.
If you connect a blow gun and blow air on the steel for a while do you get any moisture?
You will need >90PSI @ 7CFM for the PM65 at it's inlet.
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
Maadman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Maadman »

No moisture. Is it normal to get a 20-30 lb drop in pressure when arc starts?
sphurley

Post by sphurley »

No, you have a restriction somewhere. I know if you have the 50' torch vs the 25' torch you need more pressure because of the drop.
If you're seeing that kind of a drop something in your system is not capable of 7+cfm at 90psi. Always go oversize on the filters/regulators and hose to avoid the pressure drop issues. I had 10' of 1/4" tubing and Jim Colt had me change it and no more issues.
Steve
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
Maadman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Maadman »

I have the 25' torch. I ran a different hose straight from the compressor with just the new air filter from Hypertherm and an air gauge. Got the arc, but immediately my signal generator disconnected from the program and the torch won't move. Very frustrating!! Any ideas??????
sphurley

Post by sphurley »

Not sure if you have the AVHC or not but the reason the signal disconnects is it is likely not getting a Arc OK signal from the Hypertherm I would think.
I'm not a TM owner but there are a lot on here. Might post the question on the plasma /TM part of the forum. I seem to remember reading this issue a lot.
Frustrating and wasting time and materials is not a good thing.
Steve
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

If you get an error code on the Powermax65 of 0-12....that indicates low input air pressure. Install a pressure gauge hard plumbed right at the plasma cutter inlet connection.....and monitor the pressure there when the air is flowing at the torch. Under flowing conditions it must be above 90 psi, and below 135 psi.

If you get no error code...then the issue likely is in the electronics from the Torchmate side. Does the air flow start on the plasma when this occurs? If no air flow...then the plasma is not getting a start output from the TM control.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
powermaxpressuregauge 001.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Maadman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Maadman »

Thanks Sphurley, tried disconnecting the AVHC but nothing changed. Yes. all this frustration is very counter productive. Always seems to hit on the weekend!

Thanks Jim, I think my original problem was a restricted air flow. Now that is fixed and this other problem is rearing it's ugly head. I do have an air gauge directly mounted to my cutter. It reads between 125 down to 100. I know the air has fallen below that, that is where I get my misfires. No error messages though. It will spike down below for just a second. That I have cured. My air pressure is staying pretty steady, how much of a drop is normal when the torch first pierces? It seems to go down a lot. There definitely is air flow to the torch.
I'll be on the phone to Torch Mate in the morning, I'm fairly confident that it is a TM problem at this point.

Wish me luck!!!!
Maadman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Maadman »

Called TM. They did have to change a setting. Even after that it still wasn't working right. As soon as the tech found out I was using a hub to supply additional USB ports he had me go straight to the computer USB, it worked. And it works great!!!! It's embarrassing to find out what it was, but felt I should let you know just in case someone else has the same issues.
Thanks again for all your replies.
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

WOW Good to know.
Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package