Powermax 85 Error Code 99 Meaning?

Discussion on 0-30 fault codes
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Powermax 85 Error Code 99 Meaning?

Post by urbnsr »

My PM85 is at the local shop where I bought it from so they can look into a problem with my cutter. While I wait to hear back from them, I have to wonder what *could* be wrong...

After the first five minutes of cutting at 45 amps with fine cut setup, the cutter stops cutting and I see the error code 99 displayed. If I cycle the cutter's power, I can restart my project close to where it left off, but after 30 seconds, I get another 99 error. If I wait a couple of minutes, I can again restart the file after power cycling, but get the 99 error code after about a minute. Appears to be some kind of a thermal issue to me.

I assumed this to be a power supply issue, so I didn't unwrap the torch from the table when taking the cutter in for service. Local shop didn't seem to appreciate this choice.

Is the 99 error code too broad to indicate what might be my problem? Maybe it's kind of a catch-all error that isn't predefined by the other codes? Just curious if this could be a major problem and, more importantly, is there anything I can do to prevent future problems.

Thanks for any insight...

PK
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Powermax 85 Error Code 99 Meaning?

Post by djreiswig »

Not much help in the manual.
HT fault.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

Yep - that's what I'm getting. Thanks for posting the chart.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Code 0-99 covers a lot of internal things that are monitored by the control PC board in the power supply. Could be internal control voltage is incorrect (controls fan as well as logic level board voltages) or that DC buss voltages on the main power board are not within limits. If you want more detail you can contact Hypertherm technical service: technical.service@hypertherm.com or 1 800 643 9878 . Jim Colt Hypertherm
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

Thanks Jim.

At one time I did notice the fan kicked on for a second, then off and then kicked back on right before getting one of the 99 errors. Maybe that was related to my problem.

Thanks again...

Paul
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

All better. Local shop went through all the tests and replaced the fan under warranty. I ran a job this morning which took about 1 hour and no error codes. Even though it's ~2-1/2 years old, I wonder if I should get another fan to have on hand? Although I figure I should have taken the time to troubleshoot on my own, it's nice to have a local shop take care of it, too.

Back to playing catch up.....

Return to “0-99 fault Code”