Initial machine install / beginners questions

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
MakoInParis
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Initial machine install / beginners questions

Post by MakoInParis »

hello guys,

I have my swifty 600 plasma cutter setup with a hypertherm 45xp and a water table. I have cut a few tests parts with varying success on : 1,2,3,10mm cold roll and 1mm brass.

Setup and test cuts here : viewtopic.php?f=147&t=29220

I am now looking to tune my setup as I have had 3 primary issues:

1) Dross. On the cold roll and brass I have fairly heavy dross and I am nearly certain that my water level is too high. I have 5mm of airgap between the plate and water surface. What is a reasonable amount of distance that I can use to decrease dross?

2) our installer just used regular tap water in the water table. It is already rusting. What should I add to the water to resist corrosion and not create toxic fumes while cutting? Would car antifreeze work?

3) I tried cutting 10mm steel with the « factory settings » (the cnc dustributor’s, I have not checked them against hypertherms recommendations yet). I did not cut all the way through. I guess I was too fast. Can 45amps reasonably cut through 10mm?

4) cut small parts with « factory settings » that were 1.2mm thin with 1.2mm rectangular slots in the part. I had poor results with 1-2mm radius on inside corners. I think it is a poor setting. However, I would like to know if it’s reasonable to cut details that are the same size of the plates thickness? Is it possible to cut « great » inside 90deg corners?

Thank you all in advance for any input. This site is a great resource! I look forward to sharing some of our designs and experiments.

-Mako
Billythegoat
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Initial machine install / beginners questions

Post by Billythegoat »

1. Having a water table is a trade off. No smoke but getting dross(sometimes) but the dross should not be "heavy". I run my water level at the top of my slats. Most of my heavy dross is in corners and tight circles and arcs where I have to slow down my speed because my controller can not react fast enough at high speeds.

2. DO NOT USE CAR ANTIFREEZE! I use Arm & Hammer Super washing Soda which is sodium bicarbonite(I think). 1/3 box to about 30 gallons of water. You will get this white crystal formations growing on your table(which brush away easily) but it is cheap and effective.

3. 45xp will cut through 10 mm. Use hypertherm settings always. They have ALWAYS worked for me accept voltage for THC.

4. when cutting corners, small holes, tight arcs, etc. you will need to set up some path rules to slow your machine down if it will not precisely cut what you want. Gonna be trial and error figuring out where the sweet spot is for your machine for fastest speed with best quality. 45xp does have a slow speed cut chart for this reason.

Good luck and happy cutting Eric
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

I run my water at the top of the slats, and use washing soda as well.
Can't help with the 45xp, but I would start with the book specs.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
MakoInParis
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by MakoInParis »

Alright, well I guess I will test with more water and a 150-200g of sodium bicarbonate.

I will spend some time today verifying the hypertherm cut charts and rewrite some material libraries in my software.

Thanks for the responses. I will try to post some cut results tonight

-Mako
MakoInParis
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by MakoInParis »

Hello,

I thought I’d share the results of my first simple test.

I made a small 50mm square part with an Inside cut of a 25mm square. Thé outside corners were two right angles and two others with different radius. The inside corners are 1 90deg corner, 1 2mm dog-bone corner and two with different radius. Lastly, I have multiple sized holes placed closer and closer to the outside edge.

I cut this on 2mm cold-rolled with a water table and official hypertherm calibrations. Each cut was done at a different speed adjusting the speed percent with Mach4 on the machine.

I attached my notes on the results.

My conclusion is that I can’t run full speeds and get consistent pression parts (0.200microns). I equally should eliminate inside 90deg corners from my designs. Dog-bone seems to be my best option. I need to test thé fine cut nozzles. Also, the washing soda was a top-knotch idea. Thanks a bunch.

When I write my full analysts on the future tests I will share if there is an interest.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Billythegoat
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Billythegoat »

My table isn't top notch so I have to slow down in corners and circles. For corners I think I have to set path rules to bump my speed down to 80 IPM and it produces as sharp of an inside corner as you will get with plasma.

As far circles, I put them on their own layer and cut them slowwwwwww. Between 20-30 IPM depending on size and thickness. Don't forget to turn off THC when cutting circles or your torch WILL dive.
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

MakoInParis wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:35 pm Hello,

I thought I’d share the results of my first simple test.

I made a small 50mm square part with an Inside cut of a 25mm square. Thé outside corners were two right angles and two others with different radius. The inside corners are 1 90deg corner, 1 2mm dog-bone corner and two with different radius. Lastly, I have multiple sized holes placed closer and closer to the outside edge.

I cut this on 2mm cold-rolled with a water table and official hypertherm calibrations. Each cut was done at a different speed adjusting the speed percent with Mach4 on the machine.

I attached my notes on the results.

My conclusion is that I can’t run full speeds and get consistent pression parts (0.200microns). I equally should eliminate inside 90deg corners from my designs. Dog-bone seems to be my best option. I need to test thé fine cut nozzles. Also, the washing soda was a top-knotch idea. Thanks a bunch.

When I write my full analysts on the future tests I will share if there is an interest.
I used to own a Swifty and MAY be able to help. Are you using Libellula CAM?
JD2 MAD 4X4
Millermatic 252 (spray)
Millermatic 190 (short circuit)
Syncrowave 210
Powermax 65
Powermax 45xp
Grizzly Vertical Mill (junk)
Baileigh BS-210M
50t Press
Shitloads of DeWalt
MakoInParis
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by MakoInParis »

I am currently using, what I assess to be, a garbage software made/provided by my machine supplier. I am currently working to get Libellula registered and working. I think that will certainly help a lot as my current package does not allow for multiple machines parameters on the same file. It imports 1 dxf and applies the same blanket operation to all contours.

Mach4 seems to automatically slow down my circles and corners but I have not gone about tweaking Mach4 until I extract all the percision from my cam packackge.

How Did youu it like the swift. Aside from the size, how does it stack up in your more experience opinion?
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

MakoInParis wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:29 am I am currently using, what I assess to be, a garbage software made/provided by my machine supplier. I am currently working to get Libellula registered and working. I think that will certainly help a lot as my current package does not allow for multiple machines parameters on the same file. It imports 1 dxf and applies the same blanket operation to all contours.

Mach4 seems to automatically slow down my circles and corners but I have not gone about tweaking Mach4 until I extract all the percision from my cam packackge.

How Did youu it like the swift. Aside from the size, how does it stack up in your more experience opinion?

I wouldn't say the software is garbage but it is hobby software and limited. I had a licensing issue with Mach 4 and Libellula and it caused huge problems. My first course of action would be to make sure both are correctly licensed. Swifty has great instructions and fantastic support. Get registered on their support site and dont be afraid to ask.

Next, shoot me a Private Message here and I will share the instructions for setting Slow Down parameters (from Swifty). These parameters should help making corners a bit better. I will also share nesting instructions with you.

I gather that English is not your first language (you do write very well in English), so if anything is unclear, just ask and I will do my best to help.

The Swifty is a fine machine but has limitations as a hobby machine.
JD2 MAD 4X4
Millermatic 252 (spray)
Syncrowave 210
Powermax 65
Powermax 45xp
Baileigh BS-210M
50t Press
Shitloads of DeWalt
MakoInParis
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by MakoInParis »

Hello.

Well, I think Libellula is probably quite alright. The software I have now is not from Swifty but from the distributor. It has quite a number of problems.

Libellula has just sent me the registration codes for their software as their online registration is under construction. I will be finishing the install tomorrow and will gladly shoot you a message once I get everything working on my end.

Im actually an America from Connecticut. I have been in France for 8 years as I had studied physics over here and ended up staying after university. I Opened my shop last year and just got the plasma to open up a new market in the city. Plasma cutting seems to be a bit more rare than back home. France doesn’t seem to have the same light industry that the US has.

I will shoot you a message tomorrow after work
When I get my software downloaded and am in front of the machine.
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

Sounds good, my appologies for assuming you were French. I just wanted to make sure I got you taken care of in case there was a language barrier.

A physicist aye? Waaaay above my pay grade!
JD2 MAD 4X4
Millermatic 252 (spray)
Syncrowave 210
Powermax 65
Powermax 45xp
Baileigh BS-210M
50t Press
Shitloads of DeWalt
samT
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by samT »

i have recently received my swifty 1250 machine, and have used another for several years, from my experience your water level is fine, by the book it is a little high i believe the recommended is 10mm below the slats, but mine is about the same.
i also had some issues with the software at first, licensing issues with both libellula and mach 4, both are now sorted for the most part, occasionally the licence doesn't load but restarting the software works. as others have said the software is somewhat limited but works fine.
as for your test pieces i would say to cut 2mm HR would definitely need a fine cut nozzle. libellula will tell you which consumables to use at the end of the cam process, just follow the software and you will be close.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”