Fume control

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
spoolnms
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Fume control

Post by spoolnms »

This topic has prob been beat like a red headed step child, but I tried searching with little info. Ok, so my table is a 2x3 cutting area, I have a water table (water about 1/4" below the work piece). In a small garage (15x25). Garage is heated, ac'd. However the fume/brown cloud and taste is getting to me. I dont want to do a down draft as again, my garage is ac and heated (this is a hobby, I do fab work, car work, etc)

Was looking into a hood vent right above the table to take care of the lingering smoke (using an ac blower fan from a house unit) and run it through a few filters so I can recirculate the air.

Question is, anyone have any advice on this setup, or first hand experience? Id rather not vent it outside and would rather not wear a respirator all the time.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
Jgorm
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Fume control

Post by Jgorm »

Get a giant carbon filter like they use for growing weed. Mount a large hepa filter in the hood, to the fan, to the carbon. Industrial welding smoke removal is usually hepa and carbon but with a huge price tag. I'd use this in the hood behind a spark shield.
JET 708620B AFS-1000B 550/702/1044 CFM 3-Speed Air Filtration System with Remote and Electrostatic Pre-Filter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004R9LO/re ... jEb8A7V2XV
Black Ops 746714 Carbon Filters, 12 in x 39 in in, Brown/A https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZFVV9WC/re ... jEbKRHN5X0
spoolnms
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by spoolnms »

I was looking into that unit. But got the house furnace fan for free (and has a greater cfm rating) and am going to build a box for it to house the filters..
OTHill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by OTHill »

This is what I've been using for the last 8 years. Its got 4 batts of R12 fiberglass insulation and a 3/4 hp squirrel cage furnace fan. I do have water pan under my table. My shop is 30x40 with 14 ft. Ceiling. It looks after most of the smoke residue and is low cost maintenance.
20200122_171400.jpg
20200122_171325.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
spoolnms
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by spoolnms »

How often do you change the insulation out? That is something im looking into doing!
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

I probably change 2 or 3 times a year but I also don't cut every day all day long. It's surprising how soon it starts turning black.
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
spoolnms
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by spoolnms »

Yeah this is a hobby so it isnt used everyday of all day for that matter. Awesome, thank you

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”