Dross Scraper

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Dross Scraper

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Anyone try this tool yet?

http://www.matrixscraper.com/

Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
DXF
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Dross Scraper

Post by DXF »

Get an air chipper from Harbor Freight..... works great. Spray pieces with anti-splatter.

Dave Hanks
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Dawgonhawg
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Dawgonhawg »

I use a old butcher knife to knock off heavy dross. Use it like a machete swing in side to side. Say you are cleaning the outside of a piece strike the metal pushing dross away from the edge. I works good for me. The knife needs a very stiff blade and not real long.

Dawg
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

I just use a cup shaped wire brush in a grinder.... The problem most folks have with the cup brush is that they just lay into the dross really heavy... That actually makes the dross heat up and hang on harder... Next time try this... Just barely touch the dross with the wire.... Work at a 90 degree angle to the dross, and most of it will just flick off.... Alternate between the brush being on the material side flicking dross off and away from the work, and the opposite side flicking the dross back across the work. With a very light touch I can remove all but the most stubborn dross, over 97% comes off in seconds. If it doesn't, then there's something up with cut parameters!

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
CandCNC Dragon Cut 620 DTHC IV
CorelDraw X7, Sheetcam, Mach 3
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
DXF

Post by DXF »

CNCCAJUN wrote:Like this . . . . ?

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-pn ... 95826.html

Steve
Nope. Like this picture. I have one like in the link for sale. Not enough power. Tilt it at an angle to remove slag and weld splatter. Sharpen the chisel occasionally and add a couple drops of oil when using.

Dave Hanks

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

I usually just use a heavier putty knife or just tap the edge with a chisel and the dross just pops off.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
Stout
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Stout »

I typically use a heavy masonry chisel. It will push the dross right off. I also have a Ingersol Rand needle scaler. I works amazingly well but I'm lazy and typically reach for the chisel.

Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
Sector Technologies Photon 5x10 water table machine with Hypertherm Micro Edge Controller, Powermax 105
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Same here using the chisel 75% of the time, it does need to be kept sharp though.

For likes of a tree of life the wire brush on the grinder whips it off quite well used at the right angle.
chisel.JPG

Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Cutting at the correct power level, speed and height will make dross removal a simple task. The tool that SeanP pictured looks like a 3" wide masonry chisel.....perfect tool for knocking off the dross. If you have to resort to an air powered tool to remove dross....then you are doing something terribly wrong! Too much dross!

Jim Colt hypertherm

SeanP wrote:Same here using the chisel 75% of the time, it does need to be kept sharp though.

For likes of a tree of life the wire brush on the grinder whips it off quite well used at the right angle.
chisel.JPG
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

I also use a wide chisel and the weight does the work for you. Just make sure no nicks develop in the sharp edge because it can scratch the metal with the sliding action.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
Stout

Post by Stout »

jimcolt wrote:Cutting at the correct power level, speed and height will make dross removal a simple task. The tool that SeanP pictured looks like a 3" wide masonry chisel.....perfect tool for knocking off the dross. If you have to resort to an air powered tool to remove dross....then you are doing something terribly wrong! Too much dross!

Jim Colt hypertherm

SeanP wrote:Same here using the chisel 75% of the time, it does need to be kept sharp though.

chisel.JPG
That is a true statement. I have not used the scaler since moving from the Esab to the Hypertherm system. I think my chisel is 1" wide.
Victor Simonis
Grey Forest MetalCraft
Helotes, TX 78023
210-872-2622
Sector Technologies Photon 5x10 water table machine with Hypertherm Micro Edge Controller, Powermax 105
DXF

Post by DXF »

I made a set of chisels and heat treated the edges. They work great but the air chipper is so much easier on your body and is faster. Time is $! Think ergonomics. I wasn't forced to use it just thought it made sense.

Dave Hanks
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

DXF wrote:I made a set of chisels and heat treated the edges. They work great but the air chipper is so much easier on your body and is faster. Time is $! Think ergonomics. I wasn't forced to use it just thought it made sense.

Dave Hanks
I am thinking the same . . . arthritis with age makes air tools look like a deal . . . sort of like my mowing philosophy, I have less than 1/2 acre & use a SCAG 48 Tiger Cat Commercial Mower . . . don't need it, but I am done in less than 20 minutes . .

Steve
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

jimcolt wrote:Cutting at the correct power level, speed and height will make dross removal a simple task. The tool that SeanP pictured looks like a 3" wide masonry chisel.....perfect tool for knocking off the dross. If you have to resort to an air powered tool to remove dross....then you are doing something terribly wrong! Too much dross!

Jim Colt hypertherm

chisel.JPG
Jim, is there a difference in dross removal if done right after cutting vs. a day or so later. It "seems" to make a difference.
I may be wrong, but some items I took off the table and "started" cleaning immediately were really easy. The same pieces a few days later, it appeared to be harder to remove the dross.

Maybe just tired . . . :(

Steve
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kkroger »

CNCCAJUN wrote:
DXF wrote:I made a set of chisels and heat treated the edges. They work great but the air chipper is so much easier on your body and is faster. Time is $! Think ergonomics. I wasn't forced to use it just thought it made sense.

Dave Hanks
I am thinking the same . . . arthritis with age makes air tools look like a deal . . . sort of like my mowing philosophy, I have less than 1/2 acre & use a SCAG 48 Tiger Cat Commercial Mower . . . don't need it, but I am done in less than 20 minutes . .

Steve
Having used an air hammer (what that gun is in the pic) a LOT. I would have to say that tool probably contributed more to my arthritis than anything else! Mechanics gloves didn't even exist at the time much less impact gloves, I wear my Miller Metalworker's gloves most of the time these days. We used the brown Jersey Gloves back then. I haven't used an air hammer in probably 20 years for anything... Hope I never do again, The things just cause me more discomfort than time saved POS. Knocking off Dross is not that big of a deal, adjust your power and speed to minimize it.
Using the chisel hand held and just sliding it along letting the weight of the tool do the work is vastly superior to the air hammer!
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

I do know that the mason's chisel works very well, it works even better if you eliminate the double beveled edge.

Just grind the edge flat. Now you have two edges to scrape with, easier to re-establish the edge & you can now hold it at lower angle. I tried both ways & the flat edge is easier on your wrist also.

Steve
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

photo 8.jpg
These concrete chisels are available at most hardware stores for about $5. The steel is hard enough to not wear, yet doesn't break or chip.

Jim Colt

jaredfulk
1/2 Star Elite Contributing Member
1/2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jaredfulk »

I use this carbide scraper from Lisle. I've had it almost a year and use it on everything that comes off the table and it still looks new. I'm willing to bet the handle wears out before the carbide! lol

https://www.lislecorp.com/specialty-too ... -1-1-4-787

WrightCNC 4x8
Hypertherm Powermax 45XP
Raycus 20w Fiber Laser Engraver

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”