Pantograph scanning and cutting at the same time

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
disident3
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Pantograph scanning and cutting at the same time

Post by disident3 »

Hi, In the past I used to work with a Koike IK600C unit to cut some special perimeters. Recently I have been looking for something similar to automate a little my work. Found some models like Silhouette 1000 but haven't used it before so I don't have references and cannot find any used Koike IK600C for sale.

I have 2 questions:

1.- Do you have any model/brand in mind to do something similar to models I mentioned?? What I want to do is basically print out the perimeter/silhouette in B/W paper and have the machine follows the contour automatically while cutting on the other end simultaneously.

2.- Is there a specialized site where I can find some second hand equipment? My budget is not large these days...

Thank you so much!
Aaron
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Pantograph scanning and cutting at the same time

Post by adbuch »

disident3 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:48 pm Hi, In the past I used to work with a Koike IK600C unit to cut some special perimeters. Recently I have been looking for something similar to automate a little my work. Found some models like Silhouette 1000 but haven't used it before so I don't have references and cannot find any used Koike IK600C for sale.

I have 2 questions:

1.- Do you have any model/brand in mind to do something similar to models I mentioned?? What I want to do is basically print out the perimeter/silhouette in B/W paper and have the machine follows the contour automatically while cutting on the other end simultaneously.

2.- Is there a specialized site where I can find some second hand equipment? My budget is not large these days...

Thank you so much!
Aaron
Hi Aaron. Welcome aboard! I am not familiar with the machine you mention, but I do use a setup where I can scan an image perimeter contour automatically and produce a dxf file, and then load the file into my plasma table for cutting. The program is called Scanything and you can learn more about it from the link below. I run my setup with Mach 3, but it also works with LinuxCNC. The cost for the camera/lamp/program is under $200, but of course you will need a small cnc machine to run it on. This might be another possibility for you.
David

https://www.sheetcam.com/Scanything/index

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjKcyQaeus4
auto tracer.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

cuttinparts
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by cuttinparts »

I know exactly what your talking about, have used one a long time ago. That's so old I am not sure you will be able to find one let alone find one that still functions well. Davids post above is the new age version however requires a full cnc table to cut the traced parts.
disident3
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by disident3 »

adbuch wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:56 am
Hi Aaron. Welcome aboard! I am not familiar with the machine you mention, but I do use a setup where I can scan an image perimeter contour automatically and produce a dxf file, and then load the file into my plasma table for cutting. The program is called Scanything and you can learn more about it from the link below. I run my setup with Mach 3, but it also works with LinuxCNC. The cost for the camera/lamp/program is under $200, but of course you will need a small cnc machine to run it on. This might be another possibility for you.
David

https://www.sheetcam.com/Scanything/index

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjKcyQaeus4

auto tracer.jpg
Hi David, thanks for your proposal, unfortunately I don't have that much money to invest in a cnc machine (haven't find a cheap one). I don't really need the scanning thing, but I recall I used it in the past and was kind of a 'simple' and perhaps cheap machine, that's why I was looking for something similar to start... But seems like wouldn't be easy to find the pantograph which makes me jump to another question: Is there any website for second hand machinery you can recommend so I can take a look and see if there is a good deal for a cnc plasma ?

Thanks in advance.
Aaron
disident3
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by disident3 »

cuttinparts wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:46 am I know exactly what your talking about, have used one a long time ago. That's so old I am not sure you will be able to find one let alone find one that still functions well. Davids post above is the new age version however requires a full cnc table to cut the traced parts.
Thanks cuttinparts by chance do you know about any site where I can find a second hand cnc table? Or may be an economical brand new...
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Where are you located town/state/country??
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Back in the old days - maybe 40 years ago - there was a company called William's Low Buck Tools who had a nice little catalog with metal working tools and machines. They had a magnetic tracer that pretty much did what you want. It was used with an oxy/acetylene torch and had a motor with magnetic wheel that would follow the edge of a metal part while an attached arm/linkage connected the torch - which would cut the same path as the sample part. I always wanted to buy one, but really couldn't afford it at the time. I have researched William's Low Buck Tools and they apparently were sold and the company who bought them no longer offers the magnetic tracer. It would probably be a simple enough matter to build one from scratch, assuming that the motor/magnetic wheel could be sourced.

These are magnetic, and I realize you asked about an optical tracer. But maybe this will give you some ideas of another approach to use.

David
Last edited by adbuch on Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

The Williams Low Buck Tools tracer was sort of a "low buck" version of this one.
David

https://www.esabna.com/shared/documents ... ge268.html
Ultra-Graph.jpg
Ultra-Graph 1.jpg
Ultra-Graph 2.jpg

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here is a slightly more modern setup with optical tracing. It's amazing how far technology has come. I'll bet this setup was probably pretty expensive back in the day. One sold at auction in 2017 for around $1200.
David
Optical tracer.jpg

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Or maybe make one from scratch like Matthias Wandel did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDGzf04W62A
plasma cutting pantograph.jpg

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

disident3 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:48 pm Hi, In the past I used to work with a Koike IK600C unit to cut some special perimeters. Recently I have been looking for something similar to automate a little my work. Found some models like Silhouette 1000 but haven't used it before so I don't have references and cannot find any used Koike IK600C for sale.

I have 2 questions:

Thank you so much!
Aaron
Here is one that just sold on Ebay. Price was $1199 plus $500 shipping. For that price I would probably buy the Langmuir Crossfire.
David
https://www.ebay.com/itm/144084568821?n ... 7675.l2557
Koike Aronson IK600C.jpg

disident3
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by disident3 »

acourtjester wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:52 pm Where are you located town/state/country??
I'm located at South California, close to San Diego.
disident3
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by disident3 »

adbuch wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:53 am Or maybe make one from scratch like Matthias Wandel did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDGzf04W62A

plasma cutting pantograph.jpg
That's something I can definitely try!... After watching that video I saw another one on how to build my own CNC table for less than $900... will dig into it a bit more, I can afford maybe a few hundreds more... now it seems doable... Thanks a lot for your help and advise David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here is one you can build for around $800 to $900 in parts/materials cost.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123449156493?h ... Sw~LBb1TbS

There are also many more documented builds you can find on Youtube. You can most likely build a small cnc table for less than you would spend on one of those optical tracers, and you will also have much more capability than simply tracing templates and existing parts.
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

PM sent from here
have fun
tom
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe