O2 plasma gas tips?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
CEMClo
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

O2 plasma gas tips?

Post by CEMClo »

I’m gonna try switching my plasma unit over to o2 plasma gas with compressor air shield gas. The machine (auto cut 200xt) is built for it, but I’ve never been around anything besides air plasmas.

It’s been running on compressor air and eating consumables for 2 years. I know there’s plenty of oil on the o rings to clean up. But besides that I’m trying to figure the dangers involved with o2.

I assume no more anti spatter on the work Pcs for the pierces?
Can I attach the bottle with the classic oxy/acetylene style hook ups? Or is there an industry wide style for machine to bottle?
Are there any issues with running O2 on a water table?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: O2 plasma gas tips?

Post by acourtjester »

oxygen and oil bad ju ju not good
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
CEMClo
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by CEMClo »

That’s always terrifying
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

I would try to clean up your compressed air supply first and you will see big improvements. Have cut with O2 in the past and you will blow through a LOT of it. For most it would be cost prohibitive. If you have clean dry air you should be in good shape and a good filter system can be had for around $500
CEMClo
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by CEMClo »

This is the dryer we run, only for the plasma, about 1ft away
https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/In ... p2425.html
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

CEMClo wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:11 pm I’m gonna try switching my plasma unit over to o2 plasma gas with compressor air shield gas. The machine (auto cut 200xt) is built for it, but I’ve never been around anything besides air plasmas.

It’s been running on compressor air and eating consumables for 2 years. I know there’s plenty of oil on the o rings to clean up. But besides that I’m trying to figure the dangers involved with o2.

I assume no more anti spatter on the work Pcs for the pierces?
Can I attach the bottle with the classic oxy/acetylene style hook ups? Or is there an industry wide style for machine to bottle?
Are there any issues with running O2 on a water table?
I think you will be money ahead if you just buy an new air compressor. Or buy a smaller compressor dedicated to you cutting table. Besides the dangers of using O2 bottled gas, you will have the inconvenience of lugging those large cylinders around plus the cost of all the refills. May be time to "bite the bullet".
David
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

CEMClo wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:20 pm This is the dryer we run, only for the plasma, about 1ft away
https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/In ... p2425.html
That dryer should do a good job eliminating humidity in the air however it will do nothing for oil, oil vapor, particulate, raw water, etc. Better filtration is likely the solution. If your consumables are not burning clean you have dirty air. Why so much oil? Do you have to top up your compressor oil often? Do you have an inline oiler for air tools contaminating everything?

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”