Plasma unit/controller/air dryer mount locations

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
kn612
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Plasma unit/controller/air dryer mount locations

Post by kn612 »

Where are guys putting their cutters, controllers, dryers, etc? Mine has been under the table but its getting old having to kneel down every time to turn everything on and off, change volts, reset the 65xp after switching consumables. Planning on wall or column mounting everything, just looking for some ideas.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Plasma unit/controller/air dryer mount locations

Post by acourtjester »

Well I like portable things so here are some of the controller for the tables I built and the plasma unit carts with filters built on them.
DSCN2032.JPG
controller cabinet (5).JPG
Plasma cart (4).JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

I put the 105 in the dog house"

IMG_20200731_154351259~2.jpg

The front side (along with the input air pressure gauge) is readable from the console
Red Light = No or low air pressure:

IMG_20220703_145653809.jpg

Blue Light = Air pressure good for cut:

IMG_20220703_145712883.jpg

Controller has a fold up cover to protect it from sparks (welding bench is right next to it)

IMG_20211205_124751236.jpg

Like you said having everything off the floor keeps it cleaner and is a lot easier to adjust.

Last edited by SegoMan DeSigns on Mon May 29, 2023 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

I think the most important thing is to keep your plasma and controller protected from the metallic dust produced when cutting so enclosures like the ones shown above are great. Cooling fans can still draw in dirty air in an enclosure so if you can locate to a cleaner spot in the shop near the table that's a good idea, for example near and door that's often open, or if you have a downdraft system in the incoming fresh airstream. Air dryers should always be installed as far away from the air compressor as possible to give the compressed air as much time to cool as it can before entering the dryer, this is even more important with refrigerated dryers for them to operate as efficiently and effectively as possible. Typically 20 feet or further is a good idea.
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

weldguy wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:23 pm Cooling fans can still draw in dirty air in an enclosure.
If you filter the inlet of your fan (I use a large shop vac filter) & push the air into your enclosure, it will force air out of the cracks instead of pulling it in. This helps to keep the dust from sneaking in.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:05 am Well I like portable things so here are some of the controller for the tables I built and the plasma unit carts with filters built on them.
DSCN2032.JPG
controller cabinet (5).JPG
Plasma cart (4).JPG
Tom - those are some great looking stands and carts!! Very well thought out. I have both of my Hypertherm plasma cutters sitting on roll-around carts. The one by my Plasmacam never moves, but my 45xp does move around the shop some.

David

45xp on cart - this one is used with the Plasmacam tube cutter. The room it is in has a very large exhaust fan at one end which vents to the outside of the shop. So in general the plasma dust is sucked away from the computer which is positioned upstream from the cutting action.
Stand-Alone PlasmaCAM Tubing Cutter 3.jpg
Stand-Alone PlasmaCAM Tubing Cutter 1.jpg
powermax 85 on cart - I have a water table and draft system on the Plasmacam table, so not much in the way of plasma dust in the air while cutting.
20171124_010333_resized_1.jpg

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:54 pm I put the 105 in the dog house"

Steve - what a professional grade shop setup you have there. Great attention to detail and very well though out. My cnc plasma cutting is more on the occasional hobby level. My cutters are on carts, but I do unfortunately have some power cords on the floor at various locations around the shop.

David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Thanks David, When I bought the Hypertherm units I have I bought both torches, having it on a cart allows me to roll them out where I need them. I use the hand torch of cutting up the full sheet easier for an old guy to move and store. My shop is no where as clean, to small and to many tools. :HaHa :HaHa I love Segoman's setup the optional adornments shows his mind in not locked in a box. :Yay
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

djreiswig wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:40 am
weldguy wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:23 pm Cooling fans can still draw in dirty air in an enclosure.
If you filter the inlet of your fan (I use a large shop vac filter) & push the air into your enclosure, it will force air out of the cracks instead of pulling it in. This helps to keep the dust from sneaking in.
Great idea, anything you can do to help is beneficial.
SegoMan DeSigns

adbuch wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:53 am
SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:54 pm I put the 105 in the dog house"

Steve - what a professional grade shop setup you have there. Great attention to detail and very well though out. My cnc plasma cutting is more on the occasional hobby level. My cutters are on carts, but I do unfortunately have some power cords on the floor at various locations around the shop.

David
David,

Thanks for the kind words. My plasma endeavors started out over a decade ago with me looking into a Retro high definition unit then the oil/gas fields died after an election. The budget was then reduced to an un-used "new to me" Torchmate 2x2:

My shop is only 1800 sq/ft so it had to be portable and unitized for mobility and ease of usage:

P4210910.JPG

Some of the things I learned from this build was never:

face the cooling fan towards the table
use a open style keyboard / laptop
have a gantry rail above the top of the slats
make the slat spacing to narrow for the crevice tool of the shop vac to fit in between them
have anything less than a 4' x 4' (indexable) cutting area for sheet processing

IMG_0358.jpg

The unit came with no THC to upgrade it to the accumove system with THC was going to cost over 4K I said screw that lets use the money to build a bigger table. The 2 x 2 has been a real work horse and still cranks out parts. I think that is due to the lack of Bud Lite control levers on the water table:

P6081041- LR.jpg

Oh and never build a plasma table without a plasma table :HaHa :HaHa

Last edited by SegoMan DeSigns on Tue May 30, 2023 12:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SegoMan DeSigns

acourtjester wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:09 am My shop is no where as clean, to small and to many tools. :HaHa :HaHa I love Segoman's setup the optional adornments shows his mind in not locked in a box. :Yay

Tom,

I don't think they make a box designed for my brain, it has to many corners, hidden sections and under construction parts to it.

We need to do a design that says: You can never have to many tools - However the shop can be to small!
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I don't think they make a box designed for my brain, it has to many corners, hidden sections and under construction parts to it.
Me to but I also have cobwebs in there
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
SegoMan DeSigns

acourtjester wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:46 pm I don't think they make a box designed for my brain, it has to many corners, hidden sections and under construction parts to it.
Me to but I also have cobwebs in there
That explains the shape of all of my gussets on the big table!

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”