Material Mover

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Black Forest
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Material Mover

Post by Black Forest »

The pictures of the winch show the winch mounted at the bottom with the line going over a pulley to the carriage. You would be better off capacity wise to mount your winch at the top and the pulley on your carriage. You will have more capacity on your lift.
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

Black Forest wrote:The pictures of the winch show the winch mounted at the bottom with the line going over a pulley to the carriage. You would be better off capacity wise to mount your winch at the top and the pulley on your carriage. You will have more capacity on your lift.

For what I plan to use it for this works out perfectly.... As a matter of coincidence, I just wrapped up with the powdercoating today... Check it out!

http://youtu.be/JVmxK6Hmy9E

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
CandCNC Dragon Cut 620 DTHC IV
CorelDraw X7, Sheetcam, Mach 3
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plain ol Bill »

Cool build Mike and well done too. I imagine quite a few folks will want to follow in your footsteps for one like it. I had not seen that blacksmith leg vise or I would have tried to snag it from you - like I really need another one to go with the three I already have.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
Vern2
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Vern2 »

Oldsarge,

Great job!

Buy another pulley, use the second pulley as a snatch block. Doubling your lift in pounds. Only fall back, is it slows your lift speed by half.

Vern
plain ol Bill

Post by plain ol Bill »

Sometimes I just can't keep my mouth shut so will comment on the post by Black Forest about mounting the winch on top to gain capacity. That winch doesn't know or care which direction it is pulling from - how would it gain capacity? Explain it to me - as far as I know the only way to gain capacity is to add parts to the line.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Great job as usual Mike,

Bill your correct apart from very minimal friction loss and the fact that the spool diameter decreases as the running cable length increases which will reduces the leverage factor of the turning motion, most winch spec sheets state load capacity per winding.

If the winch was mounted to the top and the end to the moving platform below in a direct line the load capacity would be X and the speed Y, if an idler pulley was mounted to the moving platform and the cable looped and fixed back at the winch point the load capacity would be X x 2 and the speed would be Y / 2
Murray
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

muzza wrote:Great job as usual Mike,

Bill your correct apart from very minimal friction loss and the fact that the spool diameter decreases as the running cable length increases which will reduces the leverage factor of the turning motion, most winch spec sheets state load capacity per winding.

If the winch was mounted to the top and the end to the moving platform below in a direct line the load capacity would be X and the speed Y, if an idler pulley was mounted to the moving platform and the cable looped and fixed back at the winch point the load capacity would be X x 2 and the speed would be Y / 2
Murray

Thanks! And true about the winch... I actually had another"pillow block" with a pulley mounted on the top to increase capacity, but because of the carriage arrangement I lost almost 3" of lift. For my needs, the capacity as it sits is more than enough, and if I ever need additional capacity v. lift height I can just bolt on the additional pulley and Bob's your uncle, up we go!

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
CandCNC Dragon Cut 620 DTHC IV
CorelDraw X7, Sheetcam, Mach 3
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
Black Forest
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Black Forest »

plain ol Bill wrote:Sometimes I just can't keep my mouth shut so will comment on the post by Black Forest about mounting the winch on top to gain capacity. That winch doesn't know or care which direction it is pulling from - how would it gain capacity? Explain it to me - as far as I know the only way to gain capacity is to add parts to the line.

What I meant was if the winch was mounted on the top of the lift and the cable went down to a pulley on the carriage and and back up to the top of the lift it would double the lifting power. He could also accomplish this with the winch on the bottom and adding another pulley on the carriage so to have a pillow block type of multiplier.
Granite
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Granite »

Thanks for the pics and good ideas on this thread! I have a two ton hoist in my shop.

But the problem is getting the steel off the delivery truck parked in the alley. Oldsarge and Jhart, seems like those designs are ideal for getting my steel from the truck to the hoist, except I'd need pneumatic tires to roll over the rough asphalt and gravel.

Seems like a full time job just fabricating the items needed to improve workflow in my shop! :lol:
plain ol Bill

Post by plain ol Bill »

Black Forest you are correct in that a two part line will double the lifting capacity (well not quite double but close). I did not comprehend you were talking about two parting the line.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
MountainGoat
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by MountainGoat »

Nice build!
Black Forest
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Black Forest »

plain ol Bill wrote:Black Forest you are correct in that a two part line will double the lifting capacity (well not quite double but close). I did not comprehend you were talking about two parting the line.
It is OK this time Bill but in the future please try to keep up! :D
plain ol Bill

Post by plain ol Bill »

Bruce it gets harder to keep up all the time - it ain't nice to get old (and fat - and lazy - and -------)
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
Peccavi18
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Peccavi18 »

I use a folding engine hoist with some chain to plate dogs and a spreader bar on each side to keep the chain from creeping inwards. Only thing I may change is to add an air over hydro lift cylinder

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”