Concerns with cutting AR500 targets with plasma

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Concerns with cutting AR500 targets with plasma

Post by Scratch »

So I got a sheet of some 3/8" AR500 and was planning on cutting some targets out with it. I plan on using it for handguns and rifles, but I hear that unless you cut it with either laser, water jet or submerged plasma, it will get too soft and dangerous to shoot, around the edges.

I just have a standard plasma cutting table, no water table incorporated into it. I've easily cut up to 1-1/2" mild steel with it and I know I can cut this 3/8" stuff, but am wondering if any of you all have cut it without water submersion, and shot it...

I've personally shot 1/4" mild steel with 9mm, with hardly any effect to the steel. I've shot .40 with light damage to the steel and I've shot .223, and .30 caliber rifles that highly damaged 3/4" mild steel... And have went clean through 1/4" mild steel.

Any input?
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
HammerDownJustin
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Cutting AR500 targets with plasma

Post by HammerDownJustin »

I call bullshit on that. I think companies type that to try and get the sale. Reason is I have cut normal 1/2" plate and shot it from 20 yards with green tip 5.56 and special defense loads that were .223 in different areas of the plate. Then shot it a 1/4" from the edge at 12 yards away to test that theory. Did a hair more damage but being a .243 it should have went through if weaker.I am cutting some AR-500 3/8" for a local range in about 2 weeks. Wouldnt worry about it.
Home built 5x10 table CandCNC electronics
Miller 251 Mig
And lots of other cool stuff...
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Well I've already bought the steel so there's no going back now. I'm planning on doing some extensive testing with it when I do get them cut.
JEd
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by JEd »

HammerDownJustin wrote:I call bullshit on that. I think companies type that to try and get the sale. Reason is I have cut normal 1/2" plate ....
Normal as in not AR500? AR500 will get weaker around the edge because getting it that hot will cause it to lose the treatment that makes it harder. That said I have no idea how big this weakened area is. It may be a very thin spot along the edge that I wouldn't worry about. Cut it, shoot it, and see. I agree that is is companies trying to get a sale.

I've cut quite a bit of AR500, but I have a water table and keep the water really high when I cut it. Right at the edge it does take more damage when it is hit, but I'm not sure if that is because it is weaker from losing the temper or if its weaker just because it's the edge.
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by weldor2005 »

Why are you all hitting the edge of it??? just kidding... :D
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
HammerDownJustin
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by HammerDownJustin »

weldor2005 wrote:Why are you all hitting the edge of it??? just kidding... :D
I thought the same thing..lol..if really worried about it just spray a thin mist of water over the top while cutting.. :o
Home built 5x10 table CandCNC electronics
Miller 251 Mig
And lots of other cool stuff...
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Most AR targets are cut with plasma. The HAZ that will affect hardness of the cut edge is no deeper than .010". Should have no effect on the target.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
gary42095
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by gary42095 »

i agree with the pro jim, you should be fine. i cut a fair amout of 3/16 -1/4 ar450 and 550 for work related things and have no worries about it. most companies that use wear plate for intended purposes flame cut it on the jobsite then weld it on, which is far more heat than the plasma will affect.
of course you will be welding them to something ? that is the heat zone to have any concern, its a target... blast the thing :D
VSAW
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Concerns with cutting AR500 targets with plasma

Post by VSAW »

You will be fine. I worked at Integrated armor, a division of Alpine armoring for 3 and a half years and almost every sedan and suburban we built used AR500 and was cut on a 5x12 plasma table and welded with a mig welder inside the vehicle. You will have no issues cutting it with a plasma. The minimal amount it softens won't be noticed unless you are using high power rounds. We had an indoor range and regularly tested pieces all the time.
steelfx
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by steelfx »

I agree with the pros. The heat-effected-zone of plasma-cutting on 3/8" AR500 is a non-issue. I tested my reactive targets with everything from a 9mm, 454 Casull, .223, up to .25-06. Even tested one popper w/ a .460XVR S&W at 20 yds.

The interesting thing is this: AR plate is surface hardened, not through-hardened. After several hundred hits, the front surface will be slightly convex. Some say when the rise is .125" or more, to switch it around to the other side. It takes a LOT of center hits to create that stretching and curve.

Here's a photo of some of the targets I made a few yrs. ago. BTW, the ones I made for shotgun use only were A-36 mild steel.

Happy Shooting!

Bill :D

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

extranwp
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by extranwp »

It does affect the outside edge maybe a 1/4 inch but as for the target not really, my customers have had no complaints. Www.BadBoyTargets.com
4x4 plasma cam
hypertherm 45
bhamer62
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bhamer62 »

I usually shoot at things TO DESTROY them anyhow....lol Especially when I use my S&W 460 XVR
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I hear a lot about how dangerous steel targets that are cut with CNC plasma are, versus laser cut targets. So I got one of each and did a test on them.

Here's a video in case you were wondering too.

http://youtu.be/Arn6MRKc8gU
Wildeyedsboy
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Wildeyedsboy »

Jim looking at buying a Cnc table and my local shop recommended they hypertherm. Looking to cut up to 1/2 in AR 500 wanting to get water table to cool with. What cutter do you recommend.

jimcolt wrote: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:22 pm Most AR targets are cut with plasma. The HAZ that will affect hardness of the cut edge is no deeper than .010". Should have no effect on the target.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Soter907
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Soter907 »

Following. I'm very interested in cutting ar500. Hypertherm 45xp cut it?
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

I plasma cut 1/2" AR 500 12" & 18"gongs. Hang them out at 200 to 1000 yards and have hit them with my 50bmg, 375 CT, 338LM and 6.5 CM. They hold up just fine with no difference from mine to store-bought so called Laser cut. It is all marketing garbage. Cut and shoot, you'll be fine.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
Jeffjeffers
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Jeffjeffers »

I am using a Cut 50 in 220v and my hand cuts are terrible. Any suggestions?
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Jeffjeffers wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:01 pm I am using a Cut 50 in 220v and my hand cuts are terrible. Any suggestions?
I was assuming from your other post that you were attempting to cnc plasma cut these. For hand cutting, first of all make sure you are using the proper consumables along with a "drag cup" if you have one. Use a guide, follow the plasma cutter recommendations for cut speed and current setting, and be sure to hold the torch at 90 degrees to the work surface and more at a constant steady rate.

David
Jeffjeffers
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Jeffjeffers »

Thanks for the comment. I think it’s just gonna take a little more practice on my part to develop the necessary skill using the plasma torch. From what I’ve been reading many have been successful cutting AR 500 at quarter inch thickness, and it seems to be easily done with a cut 50. Your comments have just confirmed the direction I’ve been going in. I’ll be using templates and straight edges to keep my cuts clean from now on. Thanks again.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I know from past experience that (at least for me) it's pretty hard to free hand plasma cuts and achieve smooth results. I got in the habit of using straight edge guides, or circular guides for my cuts. Good luck with your cutting, and show us some of your results once you get it dialed in.
David

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”