Engraving with CNC Table and Router "Tutorial"

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Engraving with CNC Table and Router "Tutorial"

Post by kkroger »

I have had several people ask questions about my engraving with the router on my plasma table.
it is really pretty simple, I used to work in an engraving shop back when we used manual pantographs. Gorton Machines. Where you set type or pattern on the copy table and then used a stylus to trace the images, while flipping a lever to raise and lower the spindle.

I use my CNC Plasma Table, I make a Fixture for the part, secure the part to that fixture, then Zero the "Z" off the part without changing the X/Y position...

I am using Onsrud Carbide Tooling, 60 degree Zero Tip... that means that the TIP of the tool has no diameter it is SHARP the width of the tool path will increase by a factor of 1.5, so if you say you want .008 depth of cut the tool will make a .012 width cut, that is the factor of a 60 degree tool. You can get tools with larger diameter tips too.

In MACH I use the standard Plasma screen it is really no different than the "Router" screen.

I go into ports and pins and change my spindle to "2" 1 is Torch, 2 is "A", 3 is "B"

I then plug my router into output "A" of the CandCNC Ethercut box.

In Sheetcam I build a tool for engraving you want a "V" groove tool.
You will be pocketing and Contouring with this setup Pocketing for the fixture and Contouring for the engraving.

If you are filling your letters then you need to shoot for about a .012 DEPTH for enamel fill.
I use an aluminum blackener Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black. it is a conversion coating similar to cold blue for steel. I do engrave steel on occasion but I do a paint fill on that. Again need to have about .012" depth for proper fill....

I start by using a Milling operation to pocket out the fixture into some MDF or HDPE or Plywood.
This will create a Level Surface to hold the part, vacuum out the pocket when complete, I make it a bit deeper than the thickness of the material, you zero off the top of the material, I use a piece of paper as a feeler gage while I lower the spindle until I can just not move the paper.
Zero "Z" turn on the spindle (fire torch) lower zee to create a divot.... if anything happens I can return to this point and re-zero x and y if need be.

I then secure the plate to the fixture (perhaps just a sheetrock screw driven into one of the round pegs of the fixture in this case it will expand the wood or plastic to hold the part. Or you could use some flat washers to secure the part as long as the cutter will not strike them.
You COULD make Delrin Buttons that will hold it down without marring the material. I have done all of that and more.

Then change your cutter to the Vee Cutter and Apply an Operation to the Text or Branding in this case the Branding will have to be NO OFFSET in this instance because the tool won't fit any other way, the TEXT can be inside or outside depending on whether you want a LARGE letter or a SMALL letter, or can be no offset if you just want a narrow outline... Again I have done all of these at various times. You will need to zero off the plate, same method with a piece of paper... then check Top/bottom/left and right and select the average Zero point, you may be a few tenths (ten thousandths in Machinist parlance) different... put the Z where it would be in the MIDDLE of that so you have an average width not a lot of thick and thin spots... like if the Zero is at .001 in the middle, -.0005 on the left and + .0008 on the right... set the Z zero at .001 and call it good, or if there is a broader difference get somewhere in the middle like in this instance set it at .0002 positive and go for it! should be good all the way around.

You will want to slow your feed speed down a bit to make nice straight letters since we are working with tiny turns here.
I cut them then wash them with dish soap and a small brush to get the chips flushed clean away without scratching my Powder coat, Then I rinse them clean and blot them dry and apply the blackener. Followed by another clear water rinse (the Blackener is acidic) if you are doing an enamel fill then flow it in with a brush you will probably want to thin it some, then use a wood block with a no nap cloth wrapped tightly around it and some naptha to clean the surface after the fill flashes off.
I have also used an Air Brush to fill letters then cleaned the surface the same way.

Screen Shots below

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

HellfireOffroad
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Engraving with CNC Table and Router "Tutorial"

Post by HellfireOffroad »

Great info! Thanks for sharing.
Always wondered what kind of router bits to use for engraving on metal.
How long do the bits last? Where is the best place to find the bits?
blackandtan
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by blackandtan »

Thanks for the explanation, that helps a lot.
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kkroger »

HellfireOffroad wrote:Great info! Thanks for sharing.
Always wondered what kind of router bits to use for engraving on metal.
How long do the bits last? Where is the best place to find the bits?
Well presuming that you don't nick them on something used for fixturing or bang them on something during a rapid.
Or Drop them.... Yes.. it will ALWAYS land on the TIP on the CONCRETE and chip...
they will last a long time. you are not doing much of a chip loading on them so they shouldn't be a problem with Aluminum... Steel will dull them faster but even then a little coolant will help. You can use cool tool and a mister on outlet "B" and do some editing in the post processor to allow coolant then you can enable the coolant in Sheetcam...
I use a router speed controller too if I am cutting harder stuff I can slow it down a little bit and feed slower.
Feeding slower will make a smoother cut at 30k even slower with slower speeds. this won't do Acrylic too well it gets sticky and sticks to everything! HDPE, Polycarbonate, Wood, Aluminum and even Steel. Try to keep your cut depth limited to .005 per pass with a .002 clean up... just do your calculations when you setup your operation. I just order them from Enco on demand... But MSC, McMaster and Enco all sell them you can find them on Amazon too.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Corfabrication
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Corfabrication »

Awesome, I was just testing the router stuff today myself. I wasn't real sure how to configure the post or mach to turn spindle on automatically.
Thanks!
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

You can also turn the router on manually or I have used m3 to trigger a SSR (Solid State Relay) using a wall wort for low volts DC power.
A SSR are triggered by a low DC voltage and turn 120 AC on/off with the trigger. I used the same plug for my torch for the M3 trigger. Ebay has tons of them
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Idec-RSSD-25A-S ... 5d45c10531

Side note I used these with a PID to turn my powder coating oven elements on/off.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Diesel
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Diesel »