Plasma Pilot Hole Experiments

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
msimpson99
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Plasma Pilot Hole Experiments

Post by msimpson99 »

I decided to put some time in to some piercing experiments. I decided to see what kind of pilot holes I could create just using pierces. Discovered several things in the process.

First let me say, if you are going to be drilling out a hole for a #6 screw, you are better off doing a plasma cut just a little larger than what you need due to the steel hardening. It will quickly dull a colbolt or HSS bit. For larger drill bits, works very well, as the tiny divot or hole does not seem to effect them too much.

I also found adding the "Arc Transfer" (Arc OK) input to my CNC, I could alleviate the need to fire off the stock to fill the torch hose with air. However, when using the Arc Transfer signal I could not do dimples in thin stock.

Had a lot of fun playing with this. Here is a video of my tests:
https://youtu.be/PRiRAsFZph4
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Plasma Pilot Hole Experiments

Post by acourtjester »

neat stuff could be handy to produce center punch divots for drilling holes in parts later
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
rons
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rons »

great video thanks
4x8 Home made with PPL Gantry
Bladder water table
Candcnc EtherCut + DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM 65 machine
Sheetcam, Mach 3
Corel DrawX7
TurboCad 2015
211 Miller Mig
Ingersoll Rand 7.5 hp 80 gal
Harbor Ref. Dryer
Lathe, BP, 1" x 12" Cosan Miter Saw,
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

Very useful tool, looks like your's is touching off every time would be useful with uneven materials; mine touches once and dose the rest at set height.
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Inkscape, Solid Edge, Sheetcam, Autocad 2K
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Nice work the video as well!
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

So, can you explain the process to do the first, just dimples?
Are you just putting nodes in the drawing? Why does it not penetrate?
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
msimpson99
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by msimpson99 »

@steel35
The actual cuts don't touch off. I can do that if I want to mix pilots with other larger cuts. I also have the ability to touch off manually, which is what I did for the second set of cuts. I actually did it in the first as well, I didn't get a vid of it. I could also play with the timing more to cut holes faster. I would also have to tweak the post processor I am using.

@tnbndr
The process is actually the same for both, The only difference is in the second set I am waiting for "Arc Transfer" on the second set of cuts. This actually takes few ms and in thin materials, it would be hard to make dimples this way. By the time the arc is transferred to the base metal and cut amperage actually starts, you already have a small pierce. For this reason, I added 100 more ms to the pierce. For the dimples, since I am not having to wait for the "Arc Transfer" signal, I can immediately (well almost) stop the torch.

Using the "Arc Transfer"/"Arc OK" signal requires a little more to get set up and working. I did a lot of research and in some places I have seen is stated that Mach3 automatically will wait for the signal if certain things are turned on. I have found this not to be the case, I suspect they have macros running that they don't know about.

First I had to rewrite my M03.m1s script to handle waiting for the signal. Then you have the wiring. Since the signal is simply a relay closure. You have to have to pull the signal low or high depending on the signal level you have set in your config. Note I am using a G540 and have to pull them up or down with a 1K resistor. Some breakout boards, (I have a couple) will pull them one way or another.

I plan on doing a web page on adding the "Arc Transfer" signal to my G540 setup"

I use Corel Draw to make drawing, then import into SheetCam. I then use the drill operation to move and fire the torch.
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

msimpson99

some very good work and experimentation, I second tnbndr above asking for an explanation on how you are doing this :?:

What Post processor are you using, what changes to wiring, what settings etc, etc and so on and of course how is it all done :?

really interested in learning this potential feature for future use :D
Best Regards to all
Exapprentice :D
(Pete)
10'x5' DIY table / PM 45XP + M/C Torch - Trying to add 4 axis Tube cutting :(
Linux/CommandCandCNC MP3600 / PN200 / DCP-01 / PWM
Solid Edge, Inkscape, SheetCam, Scananything & Andonstar USB Microscope
msimpson99
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by msimpson99 »

Doing the dimples does not require any macros. However, you need to do two things:
1. Turn off THC and the machines ability to look for the "Arc Transfer" signal.
2. Prefire the torch before starting your dimples. If the hose is not already pressurized, The first dimple will most likely blow through. Note that on systems where the air solenoid is t the end of the torch can probably ignore this.

If you cant turn off your systems ability to look for the "Arc Transfer", you probably wont be able to do the dimples, as just waiting for the signal will most likely blow through 1/8" and below. When doing the dimples the arc never transfers anyway. Its the pilot arc that is creating the dimple.
msimpson99
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by msimpson99 »

I just did a write up on adding the Arc Transfer signal to a Plasma CNC. Please note this for use with a CNC without a THC.
http://www.kronosrobotics.com/wiring-cn ... fer-signal

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”