Cable Management Question

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Cable Management Question

Post by Ironken »

I am tired of looking at work lead and data cables strung all over, intricately placed as not to contact each other and no coiling of the work lead.

My question is....if I laid the work lead out in long passes touching itself or even zip tied together, could this cause any issues? How about coiling up data cables?

I want to tidy up a bit and wanted to make sure I am not creating any magnetic/electrical bad juju.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Cable Management Question

Post by acourtjester »

I know I will cause some here to go crazy but I have built a few table and all have be setup the same. My motor cable are 4 conductor shielded and my signal cables for switches, laser light power, and ohmic sensor wire are a CAT6 cable, all bundled in plastic spiral wrap to the table. And they continue in a short wire chain used to follow the Y axis movement on the table itself. My Hypertherm 65 work lead is the same length that came with it and hangs in loops that hold the excess, a short length that attaches to may table. I have no problems.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

Thanks, Jester! True story here......my last table had a 3 position solenoid for torch height. No THC, soooo I coiled my excess work lead up on the plasma cart's metal lead rack (a sheet steel half moon thingie) with no issue. Fast forward to when I first lit up my JD2....cut like a hot dam! I tidied up and swept the shop, In the process I coiled the work lead up on the METAL rack (I think you can see where I'm going with this) and called it a night.

The next day, I went to cut out a sheet of parts outta some 11g with finecuts. All the sudden, this turd was cutting horrible......I mean reeeeeeally bad. What the hell happened over night? After about half a day asking the Googler and fiddling with stuff, I ran some cuts and noticed that the torch height could be measured with a tape measure (about 5/16" visually)......hmmmmmm. A dimly lit light went off in my head! I remembered reading about coiling work leads and THC. I strung the leads out and presto.....good cuts and .060 +/- torch height when I paused the cut.

This is why I was reluctant to coil. I think if I do like you Jester, it'll be fine. I think I inadvertantly created an electromagnet with the big metal lead rack and wasted part of a day by doing so.
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Not sure what burn box your running but I got an extra plug for my Hyperthem 65 and made a short lead to the water pan, from that lug I run another short lead to a magnetic ground to the top of the pan. Like you I was worried about those stray electrons plus it allows me to grab the factory work lead along with the extra hand torch and take it to the field if needed.
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote:Not sure what burn box your running but I got an extra plug for my Hyperthem 65 and made a short lead to the water pan, from that lug I run another short lead to a magnetic ground to the top of the pan. Like you I was worried about those stray electrons plus it allows me to grab the factory work lead along with the extra hand torch and take it to the field if needed.
I did the exact same thing, I have 2 work lead assys. One for hand and one for the table. I'll just cut the one going to the table, I just hate cutting good lead.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”