Help Please on adhesive solution

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
kgc1031
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Help Please on adhesive solution

Post by kgc1031 »

Is there any adhesive solution appropriate for bonding directly to the painted metal. I have small letters that have been primed and painted that needs to be attached to a painted surface.

Thank You Karen
hdfaster
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Help Please on adhesive solution

Post by hdfaster »

3M makes some really effective 2 sided tapes for what you need. I have been using their tapes for years. I have stuff outside weighing 4 to 6 lbs that have not come loose in over 3 years. This is one of the tapes I use for heavy outdoor stuff. It will give your letters a stand off the thickness of the tape. You would not need the 30lbs per square inch tape. I use it for all my mounting needs and never had a problem with anything coming loose, indoor or outdoor.
gray-3m-specialty-anti-slip-tape-414dc-sf-64_1000.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

kgc1031
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kgc1031 »

Thank you
hdfaster wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:10 am 3M makes some really effective 2 sided tapes for what you need. I have been using their tapes for years. I have stuff outside weighing 4 to 6 lbs that have not come loose in over 3 years. This is one of the tapes I use for heavy outdoor stuff. It will give your letters a stand off the thickness of the tape. You would not need the 30lbs per square inch tape. I use it for all my mounting needs and never had a problem with anything coming loose, indoor or outdoor.gray-3m-specialty-anti-slip-tape-414dc-sf-64_1000.jpg
DXF
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by DXF »

Gorilla glue has a heavy duty double-sided mounting tape I picked up at Oreilly's auto parts. I haven't used it on outside projects but it works great on painted surfaces.

Dave Hanks
Charlie10
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Charlie10 »

Along the lines of what has been said, 3M makes what's called VHB (very high bond) tape if you're looking for something permanent. It's strong enough that it's now being used in place of rivets in a lot of cases. For aluminum panels on trailers, etc. You have to actually cut it to remove it, so you better stick it where you want it. Works great.
CGT80
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by CGT80 »

I used 5 minute two part epoxy for attaching letter to painted and powder coated parts. The tape above looks like an easy idea, but may be thicker than a dab of epoxy. The epoxy stinks for a day or two and either solution depends on the quality of the paint...........I had one letter pop free when an item was knocked to the floor by a pet and the paint stayed with the epoxy. It was rustoleum hammered paint that I sprayed over clean steel without a primer. The part was a papertowel holder I gave to my brother for Christmas, so it wasn't meant to be beat up that way.
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

Also have a look at the 3m ATG700 double sided tape dispenser system. There are a couple of different adhesives you can buy but they are very quick and efficient and no standoff. The gun rolls up the backing paper and all you have left is the adhesive layer.
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

Good info. Thanks!
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
stdave66
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by stdave66 »

I did some extensive testing a while back, and intended on putting together a list of what, and how they did, just never got to it.
The two best performers were the 3M VHB tape as mentioned before and Polyurethane sealant from a caulking tube.
The VHB is great on big and small projects, but on the big ones I use a combo of the VHB tape and the Polyurethane.
Nothing is going to take the polyurethane apart, and I don't see it ever failing. You do want to give it a few days to dry(3-6 if no tape) before giving to the customer, or installing. That is why I do the tape and polyurethane combo. The tape holds the two in place while the sealant dries. I usually apply the sealant, add the tape, then place the assembly flat, out of the way, sheet of cardboard, etc to protect the art, and put some weight on the pieces to compress the sealant for a good even bond. With just the sealant, 14g steel will bend before separating. It was successful steel to steel, powder coat to powder coat, powder coat or steel to stone, to acrylic, to wood, to propery applied paint, aluminum, or any combo of these.
Adhesives tested included the above, 2 part epoxy, surebonder 9001, Liquid nails, E6000, Lexel, 3M 2 part automotive panel adhesive, and I think a couple others. Some of these did fine for different applications, but the polyurethane sealant was by far the best overall.
The sealant in the attached pic is what I have been using, but other brands work also. Home Depot and Ace carry some others from Loctite PL, or other brands. Find a general use/construction (example, not specific for concrete) and pay the extra couple bucks for a higher performance product.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

motoguy

Post by motoguy »

That is great. Thanks for the info!
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
IBBruin
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by IBBruin »

stdave66 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 5:10 pm I did some extensive testing a while back, and intended on putting together a list of what, and how they did, just never got to it.
The two best performers were the 3M VHB tape as mentioned before and Polyurethane sealant from a caulking tube.
The VHB is great on big and small projects, but on the big ones I use a combo of the VHB tape and the Polyurethane.
Nothing is going to take the polyurethane apart, and I don't see it ever failing. You do want to give it a few days to dry(3-6 if no tape) before giving to the customer, or installing. That is why I do the tape and polyurethane combo. The tape holds the two in place while the sealant dries. I usually apply the sealant, add the tape, then place the assembly flat, out of the way, sheet of cardboard, etc to protect the art, and put some weight on the pieces to compress the sealant for a good even bond. With just the sealant, 14g steel will bend before separating. It was successful steel to steel, powder coat to powder coat, powder coat or steel to stone, to acrylic, to wood, to propery applied paint, aluminum, or any combo of these.
Adhesives tested included the above, 2 part epoxy, surebonder 9001, Liquid nails, E6000, Lexel, 3M 2 part automotive panel adhesive, and I think a couple others. Some of these did fine for different applications, but the polyurethane sealant was by far the best overall.
The sealant in the attached pic is what I have been using, but other brands work also. Home Depot and Ace carry some others from Loctite PL, or other brands. Find a general use/construction (example, not specific for concrete) and pay the extra couple bucks for a higher performance product.
Very good explanation and analysis.
Darryl

Gorilla 48x48
PM 65
Aspire 9.015

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”