Plasma cutting/grinding in neighborhood-noise control

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Plasma cutting/grinding in neighborhood-noise control

Post by Metriccar »

I am planning on moving my plasma setup into my garage. I have neighbors nearby so I need to keep it quiet. It will only be a few hours a day or every other day, so it's not like I'll be working long late hours, but I need to find ways go prevent noise from escaping the garage.

Air compressor. I have a Quincy QT-5. It's really not that loud, but I know there are quieter ones out there designed for low noise. Not a problem.
My angle grinders are actually louder than the compressor. I checked one old Craftsman I have and it's 96 decibels. Maybe get air powered tools and some kind of muffler? Would something like that work?

Plasma table itself and air. It is what it is, but I think it would be tolerable anyways.

So really wondering if anyone has had to do anything in this regard, trying to get the shop quieter. I would not want to start putting panels on the garage door because I do want to open and close it too.
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Plasma cutting/grinding in neighborhood-noise control

Post by Ironken »

I run about 3,000#s to 8000#s of steel thru my garage a month in a residential neighborhood. I have done fab work for almost all of my neighbors and usually don't charge them partly because I like my neighbors and partly to keep them greased. Kind of an unwritten agreement, I help them out in exchange for them not complaining. Has worked for me for several years now.
JD2 MAD 4X4
Millermatic 252 (spray)
Millermatic 190 (short circuit)
Syncrowave 210
Powermax 65
Powermax 45xp
Grizzly Vertical Mill (junk)
Baileigh BS-210M
50t Press
Shitloads of DeWalt
Piechow
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Piechow »

Double post
Last edited by Piechow on Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piechow
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Piechow »

I had/have the same concern working in a newer, nicer neighborhood. I try to limit my working hours from about 8 to 4 on week days, and wait until 9am or so on weekends. I have a neighbor about 3 houses down and across the street who grinds in his driveway and I don’t really hear it.

I’ve talked to the neighbors across the street and they say it doesn’t bother them/they can’t really hear it. If someone says something I’ll try to bribe them, if they still want to be a jerk, well the law says quiet time is 10pm. Joking aside, it’s a side hustle so I’ll work around them the best I can.

This being said, I don’t have a CNC table yet and all I really build are fire pits which are in low demand this time of year so it’s not a daily thing. Hopefully I can move into a work space of some sort once I get a table.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”